Page 2 of 878 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Empress of Endurance
    Length
    Shldr/Shldr/BSL
    Type
    3a/M/ii

I'm not a frequent shampoo bar user, but my husband loves the bars that I buy for him from LUSH. I know that all of them are SLS based (except the new sulfate free 'Squeeky Green' one), but honestly, I find them to be quite moisturizing. When I do use one of my LUSH bars, I usually reach for Karma b/c it smells so good, but it also feels quite moisturizing. I usually never have any tangles with it.

I love the fact that there is no packaging... environmentally friendly and that the bars are fun to use. Actually I would like to use my LUSH bars more often but I only wash my hair on days that I swim and for that I use a chelating shampoo.

Length
    BSL/CL/Knee
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

I started using CV poo bars in October.
    I was looking at Lush's vegan products, but the in-store customer service was just hideous. They'll not get my money, ever.

I really like the ease of use on the bars. I have a shipment of full size, but I was used to the samples, so i quartered them all.

I have had some waxies issues, I have hard water and I'm still tweaking the perfect acid rinse.
    Despite this, I prefer the texture of my hair with poo bars over my Nature's Gate poo, or any of the liquids I had in rotation.

I have a PH bar sample on the way from a trade.

When I first read about poo bars on the aforementioned mega thread, I had serious concerns.
    I'd used liquid castile soap to form dreads.
    I wasn't wanting dreads at the time (It is always an option in my mind).
    But reading lots of comments of softer hair made me drop Ida a line.
    glad I did.
    Join a declutter challenge http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=141272

Nevertheless, she persisted.

Length
    APL/waist/class
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Neoma: thanks for starting this thread -- I have missed the huge CV bar thread here.

I have been experimenting with CV bars since late January. I wash 1-2X per week, so experimenting with various bars and techniques takes a while. Here is the routine that I have found to work for my hair:

1) The night before I wash, I do an SMT and leave it in overnight. I use Giovanni Smooth As Silk or Nutrafix, plus aloe and extra honey.

2) In my morning shower, I rinse out my hair, then rub the shampoo bar over my hair, working up a lather especially along the crown and nape of my neck, and a bit along the length. Rinse well. Lather up again, rinse well. I usually do a third time, but only on my roots. Rinse well.

3) I then apply AO Honeysuckle Rose conditioner all over my hair, even a bit on my roots. Previously, I would never use conditioner on my roots, since I have fine, oily-prone hair, but this seems to help keep my roots from looking greasy after using the poo bar. I leave the conditioner on as I continue my shower.

4) At the end of my shower, I rinse out the the conditioner, followed by a citric acid rinse. I use about 1/4 teaspoon in 2-1/2 cups of water. I dip the ends first, then pour the rest over my hair. This makes my hair very silky.

CV bars that I have tried, and liked, in order of preference:
    Nettle (my hair really loves this one)
    Summer Sunshine
    Herb Garden
    Extra Honey Beer & Egg

Bars that didn't work for me (left my hair greasy looking):
    Neem
    Babassu & Marshmallow
    Mud & Clay

I am eagerly awaiting a shipment of some of the CV bars that I have not tried yet. I love what the bars do for my hair, and it is fun to try new things!

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

I've never heard of C.O.P.A. before-- are ALL their bars appropriate for using on hair?
    Their Cocoa bar contains castor oil, and is therefore more "shampoo bar appropriate" than the others. The lady who makes C.O.P.A. soaps says that she uses all of her soaps as shampoo bars, but she has very short hair, so what works for her probably wouldn't work for some of us.

The Cocoa bar includes cocoa butter and smells like lemongrass and some other herbs. I really like the fragrance. Also, this bar lathers like no other shampoo bar that I've tried -- tons of tiny, fluffy bubbles.

I have a piece of the C.O.P.A. Triple Mint soap, which contains no castor oil, but is very minty and fresh smelling. I will try it as a shampoo and report back at some point.

Neoma: thanks for starting this thread -- I have missed the huge CV bar thread here.
    You're welcome, Katja.
    I'm glad that so many people have replied to this thread. It makes me feel more at home, LHC-wise.

Lady Neoma, Defender of Creatures Great and Small

Length
    Chin/Apl+/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I love shampoo bars as well. I did these as a new experience and I currently use soap lady of oregan shampoo bars.They are reasonable at 4$ for 5oz and they have no sulfates and are all natural. I was going to try CV bars , but they have SLS in them. My first time my hair felt waxy and still does till this day. I found it is from my hard water; so I use a white vinager rinse everytime. My hair smells great for days and they give my hair body.
    Starting over current length: APL+.. GOAL: BACK TO HIP

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

I was going to try CV bars , but they have SLS in them..
    Lora, CV bars do not contain SLS. They are soap-based -- lye soap.

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

I did recently place an order with Serpentine Hair. Someone recommended them on TBB (Gemma?), and before I knew it, I had placed an order! I'm a sucker for a snazzy site, and they had the ingredients listed (though not the size). They haven't arrived yet, but I'll be sure to do a review as soon as I've tried them a few times.
    chloeishere and Gemma, you are both enablers! I had never heard of Serpentine Hair. I bookmarked the site. The Kahlua sounds divine. Do you know if she uses EO's or perfume?

Length
    3/29.5/35
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Any time that I tried shampoo bars in the past, they didn't work well for me. I started helping my soap-making friend test some of her products, as my hair is completely opposite to hers...and I get free samples. She finally washed my hair for me (heaven) explaining the proper way to use a shampoo bar.

You are absolutely right, Neoma, the texture of my hair after using bars is amazing. My updo's don't slip as much, but they stay silky!!

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Any time that I tried shampoo bars in the past, they didn't work well for me. I started helping my soap-making friend test some of her products, as my hair is completely opposite to hers...and I get free samples. She finally washed my hair for me (heaven) explaining the proper way to use a shampoo bar.

You are absolutely right, Neoma, the texture of my hair after using bars is amazing. My updo's don't slip as much, but they stay silky!!
    Oh, cricket, one of the only things that I miss about going to a salon is having someone else wash my hair! I used to go to a Japanese salon. They would give you a scalp massage that was better than...well, you know...

Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I started using CV bars several months ago and have tried all of their shampoo bars except carrot milk and honey, olive babassu, and lavender spice.

I fell in love with the Mud and Clay bar. The color of it is rich and attractive, the smell is refreshing and citrusy, it lathers well, and it gives my hair great curl, volume and softness. Also, I can go around four days without washing my hair again. It's a great bar, but lately I've been using Nature's Gate Jojoba conditioner on my ends, and the two products work well together.

I tried them after browsing their site for awhile, and I was overwhelmed with curiosity, drawn in by the reasonable prices, and I love supporting small companies.

I plan on staying away from commercial shampoos forever.

I tried their soap bars on my face but so far they have all been too drying if I use them regularly. My body likes them though.