Page 70 of 878 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120170570 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Length
    Pixie/BSL/Mtain
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Saranne772 View Post
    Can you get organic ACV at normal supermarkets such as Sainsburies? I am planning to get some tomorrow possibly and I think my hair deserves organic (even if I normally get the cheap food for eating!)
    It's possible. I think I've seen it around in certain supermarkets in America, but it won't hurt to give it a shot. Health food stores might be more likely though.

Length
    shldr/bsl/tb
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

My routine works, but I can't resist giving this a try! I actually ordered the Flower Moon Soaps Dairy Whip - not a shampoo bar, but as the chloeishere stated, it's similar. My skin loves goat's milk soap when I have tried it in the past, so if my hair's unhappy, I will happily use it on my skin instead.
    Do you believe in rock and roll? Can music save your mortal soul? And can you teach me how to dance real slow?

Length
    chin/28"/36"
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by naturechild View Post
    Thank you flutterbee! Yes the acv smell stays in my hair for day's ugh! Were do I find citric acid? what is the mix and can I keep it in the fridg for a while or do I need to make it every time?
    Naturechild, I got mine in the vitamin section of a health food store. I use 1/2 a teaspoon to a full bottle (a plastic orange juice jug, maybe half a gallon) of water and give it a good shake to mix it up. I pour the entire thing over my head as a final rinse, so nothing to keep mixed up in the fridge. Hope it works out for you, I so despised the vinegar head smell!!
    Please pass the butter!!

Tapioca

I found citric acid in the "ethnic" section of my grocery store, with the Kosher foods. It was sold as sour salt. It's a dry powder, so I can keep it in my bathroom, not the fridge.

Length
    shldr/31.5/same
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jesamyn View Post
    My routine works, but I can't resist giving this a try! I actually ordered the Flower Moon Soaps Dairy Whip - not a shampoo bar, but as the chloeishere stated, it's similar. My skin loves goat's milk soap when I have tried it in the past, so if my hair's unhappy, I will happily use it on my skin instead.
    I ordered Dairy Whip too, and while my skin loves it, my first attempt at using it on my hair was pretty sad. My usually soft and glossy hair felt... weird... and lost the majority of its shine. It also took forever to dry and the fragrance of the soap stayed for a long time, even overpowering my condish. This all leads me to believe that it didn't rinse clean and the ACV didn't help much.
    Last edited by nomadhome; June 10th, 2008 at 07:30 AM. Reason: typo
    "When we speak of Spirit we speak of water, wind and birds on the wing." ~Sharon Betcher

Length
    Pixie/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

Considering I had this big block of shampoo bar sitting around and my first attempts a few months ago were disasterous, I figured what the hay, I'd give it another shot.

The past weekend traveling my hair was obliterated with dryness, so I showered today and using suggestions to really really shampoo with the bar, and wash the ends with it, I have to say I'm relatively happy (and suprised!). I did use my v05 conditioner after, don't know what dent that put in it, but it may be the reason I have no oily weird gunkiness feeling to my ends.

I'll keep this up this week and see how it goes.
    Once you place a candle in the dark, you can't deny the light. . Once you give to man that candle, you give his mind the power of flight. - Myself.
    Lady Seyllea, Oracle of Time and Becoming in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    Nape/nape/BSL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i

I have been using Billy Goat Soap on my hair since the 25th May and my hair feels amazing
    I don't use a vinegar rinse, I just slap on some cone free condish after, either Moo Goo or Terax Crema.

I air dry and it is so soft and the curls have bounce and shine, and no tangles at all, I can run my fingers through it anytime and not get caught in tangles like before.

I am very happy! I will have to post some new pics!
    Lady Gylly, Scion of the Blessed Island in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    15"/16"/32"
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Hi.......could someone PLEASE help me out with these questions. They've probably been asked a million times, but Im too tired to search through the pages and pages on poo bars.

I've just bought my very first shampoo bar the other day from Beauty and the Bees and have just used it for the first time..........so, I think I may need a little help.

It is a rosemary/mint bar, and it felt quite good it my hair, but during and after rinsing and rinsing and rinsing it felt quite waxy. I follwed with 'some' cone free conditioner, as I wasnt used to the idea of not using any, and then did an ACV rinse, (2-3 capfulls added to a couple of litres of water). While drying there was still the waxy feeling but now that its completely dry its better, but ever so slightly still there.

Ive reading that you can get a waxy build up from not lathering up enough (im so used to only gently wiping/moving around the scalp, my usual shampoo), or could it be that I didnt use enough ACV - and thats got some questions in itself - do you do that after every shampoo or would that be too drying.

Also Ive read that some people shampoo all of there hair and not just the scalp area (im so used to only doing my scalp and letting it run through the rest of my hair instead of shampooing all of it) but is that too drying, or is it ok to put it all over your hair as its not regular shampoo. By the way Ive been using cone free and everything else 'free' for some time now.

I hope Ive explained myself alright...........thanks for any help..April.
    Damage cut off. Length to top of shoulders - 5/2/11.
    GOALS: Collar bone. Freckle on my chest. Armpit length. Bra Strap.

Length
    pixie/hip/tbone
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Heya, April1.

First, yes, it may be a problem of getting the right strength for the vinegar rinse. That is very much trial and error, so .. good luck.

As for shampooing the length, I don.t, personally. I drench my length in conditioner, make the shampoo foam well in my hand, lather and scrub my scalp, rinse and repeat those steps /three/ times.

Also, how many times did you lather and rinse? Twice is the minimum with poo bars, many here (I think) do three times.

I hope it helps! Poo bars do have an adaptation curve. And even when I moved (from upstate NY to NJ), it took me a good two months to re-adapt and find the proper rinse concentration for the local water. Good luck!
    Lady Celtycke Quenne of the Wolflands in the Order of The Long Haired Knights.

Length
    6"/Shldr/TB
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by n3m3sis42 View Post
    Good lord, are they made out of gold? People complained when the CV bars went up to $6! And they are 5 or 6 ounces.

I have to admit I am curious about these, but why on earth are they so pricey?
    I purchased one... I'll let you guys know how it was. Maybe post a picture or something.

A lot of her non-henna products are pricey.