Page 63 of 878 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163563 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Length
    chin/30.75/tb?
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Melian View Post
    I have a problem with the summer sunshine bar...... It is making my length very dry. How cleansing is it? Does anybody know? Currently my favorites are still lavender spice, nettle and mud & clay. But with the post partum hormones my hair is starting to behave differently (that was to expect). My scalp is getting much greasier and my length is dry. Does anybody recommend using different shampoo bars on your hair? Like a more cleansing on your scalp and a more moisturising one on the length?
    I totally tried to reply to your post earlier, but it got eaten by the dreaded "Server is too busy" error.

I've heard that a greasy scalp and dry ends can sometimes indicate that your washing routine is stripping too many of your natural oils from your scalp. In response, your scalp starts overproducing oils, which is what causes the greasy scalp.

How often are you washing?

I haven't tried the Summer Sunshine bar yet, but I've heard that it's one of the more cleansing CV shampoo bars, so it's possible that it's the culprit here, if you've only noticed the problem since you started using it.
    Lady Tiamat of the Dragon Horde in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Founding Member of the (Second Incarnation of the) Official Hair Idiots Club ~ "Goobering One Style At a Time".

Length
    chin/28"/36"
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by n3m3sis42 View Post
    Thank you for posting this. I ordered that Nasabb bar and haven't tried it yet. This reminded me that I need to try it soon.
    You're very welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Flutterbee,

I'm so glad you like the soap. I have used it every time I wash my hair since I got it, and my hair loves it too!
    I'm so glad you posted about it, I had been having issues with my scalp getting irritated by regular shampoo and was looking for a new alternative. I'm thrilled with the results, so far so good.
    Please pass the butter!!

Length
    chin/30.75/tb?
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I tried the Nasabb Honey Oatmeal soap bar on my hair (and also as a body soap) today. It lathered BEAUTIFULLY, although have to admit that I was a little skeptical about how it was going to affect my hair when I combed it out afterwards. It seemed a little more tangly than normal, but it wasn't horrible. I just had to be more careful about combing than I am with the CV shampoo bars.

Once it dried, it was really nice--soft and full of body. I'm not giving up the CV bars, but I will definitely keep this one in the rotation.

I have to say that I prefer the CV soaps as a body soap, though. As well as it lathers on my hair, the CV soaps definitely lather better on my body. I'm wondering if it's more superfatted than the CV shampoo bars but less so than the CV soap bars. Or maybe the superfatting has nothing to do with lather at all? I don't know, really.
    Lady Tiamat of the Dragon Horde in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Founding Member of the (Second Incarnation of the) Official Hair Idiots Club ~ "Goobering One Style At a Time".

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    26?/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

It seems that I may be getting some buildup from my CV bars. I've used them for several months now, no problems whatsoever, but now my hair is feeling lank and flat. The past two washes I've tried to remedy this by using my more cleansing bars, Summer Sunshine and Nettle, which have helped a little.

Has anybody experienced this? I may try using some V05 clarifying shampoo in my next wash and then follow up with a CV bar, should this help/work?

if you don't want to go back to non-natural poos, how about trying a BS wash to see if it changes anything?

Length
    26?/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

I never really considered a BS wash, I guess! Any advice on doing one?

I wouldn't really mind using the non-natural shampoo, though. I dilute it pretty well and it would only be a one time thing, or as needed.

Length
    24"/32"/?""
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I have been reading this thread and just recently ordered the PLH shampoo bars...I tried using JR.Liggett bars and was not very happy with them..can anyone tell me if they had experience with the JR bars and the PLH bars and if there is a difference between the two? The JRL bars really left my hair feeling waxy..but after reading this thread I was inspired to give them another try, but try another brand. I have soft water at home.

SweetPea, when I first started to use CV bars I got buildup from them over time. I did a baking soda rinse about every other month. As far as I remember I used about a tablespoon of baking soda dissolved in conditioner and water. I massaged this mixture through my hair and followed up with one of the more moisturizing CV bars (Babassu Marshmallow I think it used to be, but Olive Babassu would be great, too).

I haven´t needed to do this for a very long time now, don´t ask me why.

Length
    Short/22"/APL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by n3m3sis42 View Post
    I totally tried to reply to your post earlier, but it got eaten by the dreaded "Server is too busy" error.

I've heard that a greasy scalp and dry ends can sometimes indicate that your washing routine is stripping too many of your natural oils from your scalp. In response, your scalp starts overproducing oils, which is what causes the greasy scalp.

How often are you washing?

I haven't tried the Summer Sunshine bar yet, but I've heard that it's one of the more cleansing CV shampoo bars, so it's possible that it's the culprit here, if you've only noticed the problem since you started using it.
    With my new shampoo bar (that I made myself recently) I find that I don't need to wash more than twice a week. I use my BBB every night now, whereas I didn't brush much before, but now it seems to benefit, as the natural scalp oils seem to be in balance and my hair "likes" me to brush it down to the ends. But my hair is not "oily" Of course, I am post-menopausal and so how my scalp and hair are now is much different than how it was when I was younger. Anyway, it certainly is working well for me.

i'm sure there are many here who know a whole lot more on BS wash than i do, as i did it just today for the 1st time. i put on a henna gloss afterwards and now i'm having it on under the cap, so can't really tell what the after-wash effects of BS are just yet. but in the shower, my hair and scalp both felt entirely clean and after ACV rinse it felt perfect. my mix was 1/2C water +3TSP BS.