Page 610 of 878 FirstFirst ... 110510560600608609610611612620660710 ... LastLast
Results 6,091 to 6,100 of 8775

Thread: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Length
    CL/MBL/WL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Not sure if I should start a new thread on this, but here's a question! Anyone tried using not a shampoo bar, but regular soap or even shaving bars to wash hair with from same sellers that do shampoo bars on Etsy?

At the same time as I switched to shampoo bars a year ago, I decided to purchase a few soaps from the same Etsy seller to replace my usual shower gels as well. It never occurred to me try those on hair! I don't know why, I guess I just trusted that shampoo bars should be better for that? Although the main ingredients are identical. But last month I also decided to try a shaving bar, so I finally bought one (and really happy with it too, although those seems to be mostly targeted to men ). The shaving bar I tried is a bit different in formulation to soap and shampoo bars I've been using, it has shea butter in it. I figured it was unlikely something really bad would happen if I try to wash my hair once with it, so I did it. It made it SOOOOO soft and silky. Very similar to what would be the effect of heavy coconut overnight oiling. I think I'm sold!

Gregorian Enchantress Theobroma's Avatar
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Almendra View Post
    Anyway, I guess this soap is more gentle than my usual shampoo, and I'm gonna try it again when I got not oil in my hair and have bought vinegar
    I think any soap (or shampoo bar) is gentler than shampoo -- that's actually the reason why I use soap. Shampoo dries my hair too much.

I don't do deep oilings, but I've noticed that to get my scalp clean enough I have to lather twice as a matter of course and if there's any buildup on my length (from aloe vera gel, in my case), removing it generally takes a third lathering and extra effort to work the lather through the length. Whereas with shampoo, just having the suds run down the length was quite often enough to take care of minor buildup issues. That says a lot about how gentle soap is compared to shampoo.

But I agree with Flor -- an acid rinse is a must. The alkalinity of the soap makes the cuticle scales stand on end and if you don't counteract that with something acidic, you'll end up with a tangly uncombable mess!

Gregorian Enchantress Theobroma's Avatar
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Flor View Post
    Not sure if I should start a new thread on this, but here's a question! Anyone tried using not a shampoo bar, but regular soap or even shaving bars to wash hair with from same sellers that do shampoo bars on Etsy?
    Not from Etsy sellers, but I do use (sort of) regular soap (Dudu-Osun African Black). I've also used Weleda Rosemary soap which isn't "supposed" to be for hair at all. I get good results from both, but the Dudu-Osun is slightly more moisturising. I've been using it for almost a year and a half now and my length is softer than it has any right to be.

I tend to steer clear of shampoo bars because I'm afraid they might be too moisturising for my scalp. My scalp seems to rebel against anything rich getting on it -- I can't do scalp oilings because it makes my hair come out in handfuls, and I lost a significant percentage of my thickness to CO-washing before I figured out what the problem was. The only actual shampoo bar I ever tried also seemed to cause slightly heavier shedding for me.

Length
    Pixie/tbone/Term
    Type
    2a/C/iii

I love LUSH bars, and just normal castille soap bars. I can't find any others where I live.

Length
    6/42/45
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I've been using the Chagrin Valley Strawberry Henna Shampoo Bar, rinsed like crazy, followed by a bit of Everyday Coconut Conditioner, also rinsed, and completed with two cups cold filtered water plus 1-2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar for my final rinse. I think, after much tweaking, that this process will work long term. The vinegar rinse is not my favorite smell, but I love that there are no irritating perfumes in any of these ingredients. However, have you ACVers noticed your hair smelling like vinegar when it rains? I was not thrilled. I will have to test this process for a month or more before I know if my scalp will accept it, too. Hoping! Has anyone else used a CV henna bar yet? I don't think the one I'm using has added color, but it may have increased the shine of my natural reddish/blondish highlights.

Length
    6/42/45
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Those of you who have used shampoo bars long-term, have you noticed any problems with regular ACV rinses? I'm worried that the shampoo bar / ACV rinse washing style may make hair more brittle. Is your hair still elastic? I have found that my scalp itches if I do not wash/ACV most days of the week, and I am concerned that I may be damaging my length.

Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

My length seems to be doing okay with white vinegar rinses. Sometimes it can make my ends kind of scratchy -- but since I've used them in conjunction with shampoo bars, that is not the case.

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by VJG View Post
    Those of you who have used shampoo bars long-term, have you noticed any problems with regular ACV rinses? I'm worried that the shampoo bar / ACV rinse washing style may make hair more brittle. Is your hair still elastic? I have found that my scalp itches if I do not wash/ACV most days of the week, and I am concerned that I may be damaging my length.
    Nope, I've used them for longer than this thread has been around and if anything my hair is stronger than ever!

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Length
    6/42/45
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Chromis View Post
    Nope, I've used them for longer than this thread has been around and if anything my hair is stronger than ever!
    Thank you. Do you rinse out the vinegar mix? I've been leaving it in, as my final rinse.

Length
    6/42/45
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Sorry, double post.