Page 58 of 878 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158558 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Calista View Post
    I know I posted this a million times before, but I just have to say it again:

Idaīs Cedarwood&Lavender dog shampoo is the best thing she ever invented!

Would you believe I had quite forgotten about it, when it fell into my hands yesterday as I was searching through my stocked shampoo bars? I think it is my very favourite shampoo for the summer. This is what Ida says about it on her site:

The funny thing is that although she says it is not strongly scented I find it to be one of her most strongly scented bars! I can only guess that the woodsy fir scent is something a dog would accept as a "natural" smell.

While I love all of Idaīs bars most smell very alike to me, because she only has so many different essential oils she uses. This bar is "something completely different", a little like her Citrus Woods Green Tea soap but much more direct, not as subtle. It lathers very well.

The reason I am mentioning this again is that I noticed this bar is always in stock! Some people complain that many soap or shampoo bars are constantly sold out. Please donīt forget this shampoo bar - it is supposed to be for dogs, but it is great for humans as well! I can vouch for that.

I got this bar in yesterday for my pup along with 2 body bars and a sample Nettle shampoo bar. (I really like the nettle bar too!)
    Member of the Official Hair Idiots Club

Length
    shldr/TB/term
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Chromis View Post
    That's lye You know you have real soap for certain if you see that rather than a detergent bar (though there are a few soaps that do not contain lye, they strike me as being too heavy for hair use)
    Cool! Thank you!
    God Bless,
    Shannon
    www.PositivePrayers.com

Length
    ?/BSL+3/Waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

HELP! I need the expert advise of shampoo bar users!

I have got to have the worst waxy build up in the history of shampoo bars in my hair! I have quite hard water with chlorine and rust from bad pipes where I live and had tried a PLH bar (Aloe Fresh) several weeks ago, but stopped using it because it seemed to coat my hair and even a 2 T. white vinegar in 2 cups of spring water rinse wouldn't help.

For the past 3 weeks or so, I've been using an ungodly expensive shampoo and conditioner (Pureology NanoWorks - $110.00 for the set of S&C - I am NOT kidding about that price!) that left my hair feeling really gorgeous. However, the past couple washes (I wash every other day) I noticed my hair was feeling gamey on day 2 after wash day, so I looked at the NanoWorks ingredients list and noticed both S&C are loaded with cones. I have no idea if they are the water soluble type, but I'm thinking they aren't and that they are in fact building up on my hair.

So I get the bright idea to try another PLH shampoo bar, just to alternate with the NanoWorks and to hopefully get rid of the build up. I did 3 sudsings this morning using Ginger Beer PLH bar, and noticed that each successive sudsing was producing less lather, which I thought was very odd. I rinsed and rinsed - for at least 5 whole minutes, then ran a 4 T. in 2 cups of spring water ACV rinse I got from PLH through my hair.

What a disaster! My hair would NOT dry (I usually set up a floor fan and aim it at my back so my hair mostly dries while I put on my makeup - I then blowdry on warm to get the remaining water out but never dry to bone dry), even with using the blow dryer on hot! My hair was moving as one large hair unit and was just absolutely COATED with ultra waxy build-up. It is so bad, my hair looks wet - or very greasy, like I haven't washed it in weeks and weeks! I didn't have time to rewash my hair this morning, so I put it up in a bun. Thank God my bangs and roots don't look too bad, but the back and length is absolutely ruined with build-up.

HOW AM I GOING TO GET THIS WAXY BUILD-UP OUT OF MY HAIR?!?!?!?! I'm certain that its a horrid combination of the cone-packed NanoWorks activated by the hard water and PLH Ginger Beer bar. I just got highlights about 3 weeks ago at my very expensive stylist (which is where I bought the Pureology), so I have (blondish) color and highlights in my hair now and don't want to do anything too stripping as I spent almost $350 at the stylist for the color/ highlights and the Pureology products. I really don't want to damage my hair by stripping it and I really want to preserve my color/highlights.

Any ideas? I'm throwing a birthday party for a friend tomorrow night, so I can work on my hair tonight (though I hesitate to wash again on the same day!) or in the morning. I'm certain that the build-up will cause the water to bead up on my hair! And, I have no idea what kind of shampoo to use to get the wax out.

HELP! Thank you and sorry this is so long!

Account Closed by Member Request

Mermaid Girl, I recommend a baking soda rinse to clarify, followed by a strong vinegar rinse. Iīm not sure what "T." is supposed to be - teaspoon, tablespoon, or something totally different? But I use 1 part vinegar and 9 parts water, and my water isnīt even that hard.

After that, so a moisturizing treatment of your choice, e.g. a good long soak with a cone-free condish.

Length
    chin/shldr/hip
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

or, if you are concerned about the baking soda being too harsh on your hair, you could try as a first step to just condition it out with *lots* of thin, cone-free conditioner. this did wonders for me last time i had a horrid poo bar induced case of the waxies. i was all prepared to go down the baking soda route if necessary, but it turned out that the conditioner alone did the trick. i was amazed.

Length
    chin/30.75/tb?
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Mermaid Girl, I second the suggestion for a baking soda rinse.

I guess it depends on the person, but I don't think doing it once would be that harsh for most people's hair (I may be biased since I used the BS rinse as my only wash method for about a year, though). I used a tablespoon of BS in about 1.5 cups water. And followed it with an ACV rinse (mine is 2 tbsp in about 1.5 cups water).
    Lady Tiamat of the Dragon Horde in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Founding Member of the (Second Incarnation of the) Official Hair Idiots Club ~ "Goobering One Style At a Time".

Length
    Short/22"/APL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSwallow View Post
    I use soap for a 'poo bar. We have very soft water so it works out well, and I always follow with a vinegar rinse. No waxies even. Although I've found that I need to lather as many times for as many days since my last wash. If I skip a day I lather twice, two days, three times. Otherwise my hair dries greasy.
    What kind of soap do you use, ShadowSwallow?

Length
    ?/BSL+3/Waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

THANK YOU SO MUCH for responding Calista, Kazazi and N3m3sis42! I sincerely appreciate your advice!

I'm not even sure I have any baking soda in the house, so I'm going to have to try Kazazi's method of using a cone-free condish to get this build-up out. I have about 6-8 oz. left of my Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Moisturizing Conditioner left, so I will use all of that in the shower this morning, if I have to! If that doesn't work, I will run to the store and get some baking soda and go that route.

Will keep you gals posted.

Oh and when I say this build-up is BAD, I mean it! I told several friends at work my poo-bar-gone-horribly-awry story and then revealed the mess to them by taking my hair out of the bun. My hair was a waxy, twisted mess! They were all sufficiently horrified at how filthy and greasy my hair looked, and they each ran their hands through my hair and said they could feel the residue on their hands! One of my friends suggested I just go with it and make dreadlocks, but that's not going to go over at the law firm where I work!

Length
    ?/BSL+3/Waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Ok, you guys, I'm out of the shower and am officially the cleanest person in this hemisphere! This is what I did:

(1) Thoroughly satured my hair and did a conditioner wash with Trader Joe's Nourishspa Moisturizing Conditioner, from scalp to ends, concentrating on length where there is the most build-up. Let that sit a few minutes.

(2) Rinsed that out thoroughly, repeated, using even more conditioner than wash 1 (a lot of condish!), again concentrating on length. Let that sit while I shaved one leg.

(3) Rinsed that out thoroughly, and did another wash with a clarifying shampoo (BioLustre Cleansing Shampoo), sudsing up throughly from scalp to ends, paying close attention to length. Let that sit while I shaved other leg.

(4) Conditioned the daylights out of my hair with Nexxus KeraPhix conditioner. I concentrated on the length, but ran it through from scalp to ends. No more legs to shave , so I let that sit while I washed my body. I decided to use the PLH Ginger Beer poo bar as a body soap so it wouldn't go to waste. I admit to cursing the stuff as I was sudsing up with it!

(5) Rinsed like a crazy person, ending with a long cold water rinse including scalp.

I'm letting it dry naturally. It is drying quickly as I'm sure its a bit stripped from all the treatment its gotten (its been washed 6 times in the last 24 hours!), unlike the last shampoo (with the poo bar that caused this horrible incident) when my hair felt like it was just staying wet and not drying at all. My hair does not feel gummy, grabby or sticky, which of course is a good thing. I'm sure that its going to be flat as a pancake and lifeless from using that heavy-ish conditioner from roots to ends, but at least *I think* I got all that waxy build-up out.

I will let you gals know how my hair turns out once its fully dry.

NO MORE POO BARS FOR ME!

Length
    chin/shldr/hip
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

Glad you managed to fix your hair MermaidGirl.

I have a poo bar update myself. After persistent problems with the waxies, I had given the bars a break and used CO instead with good results. My plan was to use shampoo once a week or so (I wash every 2-3 days) and as I was beginning to feel build up after my last CO wash, today was the day.

So I washed with a sulfate shampoo (Lush B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful shower & hair gel) and then applied a caramel treatment (1 part mashed & strained banana, 1 part honey, 1 part 50:50 coconut and olive oil). For some reason I thought this should just rinse away with water, a vinegar rinse and conditioner, like an SMT does, but it didn't (as is to be expected really, given the ingredients of the treatment, doh!). My hair was drying greasy and stringy, with some honey residue and vinegar smell added in, and I just couldn't stand it, so I decided to wash again with a poo bar.

I got my Serpentine Hair Edge of the Earth bar out again, as this was the first poo bar I had ever used and the results with this had been least waxie. I lathered three times, which was necessary to get enough suds, but tried to be as gentle as possible. After rinsing, I used a lemon juice rinse - about 1:15 dilution, as I just couldn't bear the thought of more vinegar smell. I swished my length in it, then poured it over my head and then applied condish (Lush American Cream). Finally I rinsed both the condish and lemon rinse out together.

I am pleased to report that I haven't got the waxies this time, yay. My hair looks and feels ok - maybe a tiny bit on the dry and tangly side, but that could just be because we were out playing in the grass all day.

Of course I can't say for now what made my hair this way - the combo of sulfate poo plus caramel treat plus new poo bar routine, or the new poo bar routine with lemon juice itself. But it has definitely inspired me to try a poo bar again with lemon juice when I am due my next shampooing session after CO washes.

Now, could some of ye experts help me out with these questions:

1) How strong would you say would a 1:15 lemon juice rinse 'translated' into a vinegar rinse?
    2) Is there any difference between lemon juice and citric acid, other than the latter being a powder?
    3) If I wanted to use citric acid, what dilution would create the same strength as 1:15 lemon juice?
    4) I have heard lemon juice described as drying. Why would it be more drying than vinegar and what's the best way to offset this? I am just confused that so many people rave about vinegar despite not liking the smell, but few people use lemon juice in a similar way?
    5) For those of you who experimented quite a bit to find the 'perfect' acid rinse - how and when did you know you got it? Only once your hair was dry, or could you already tell when applying it? I am asking because with any of my acid rinses so far, I have had the instant slip success feel, but yet my hair would often dry in waxies. It would be nice if there was a way of knowing about the quality of a rinse right away because the condition of the hair when dry can be affected by so many other things like how and where it dries, you know?

Thanks for reading to the end of this mammoth post!

Kaz x