Page 360 of 878 FirstFirst ... 260310350358359360361362370410460860 ... LastLast
Results 3,591 to 3,600 of 8775

Thread: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Length
    buzz/ear/WL+
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Default Re: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Quote Originally Posted by disneynut1977 View Post
    I tried it years ago on my virgin hair. I did not care for it, it was very drying to me. I think there are so many better poo bars out there, I wouldn't bother trying this 1.........unless you have very short hair, like a pixie cut or such. Would work great for a guy with short hair.
    Melissa1977
    How did you use it? Did you use an acid rinse or conditioner afterwards?

Most of the reviews of the BB Rosemary Mint shampoo bar have been negative, but the complaints are mostly things that sound like soap residue. Like any shampoo bar, you have to experiment to figure out what's going to work and what's not. For example, a lot of people complain about JR Liggett bars, about things like coated, waxy hair, or dry stiffness. But I found that one to work best, especially when I did a properly-diluted ACV rinse after washing.

I tried the Dr. Bronner's Citrus Conditioning Rinse today as my acid rinse, and my hair is lovely. I know a lot of people don't like it, but if you don't need a lot of conditioning, my hair feels much healthier than just after a wash with my Dr. B bar and an ACV rinse. More details on my blog.

Length
    chin/BSL/Floor
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

Okay so I tried the Bert's Bees Rosmary Mint bar today. I didn't care for it much. :/ My hair felt kind of wet and waxy afterwards, even when I followed up with conditioner. Now that my hair is dry, it feels much drier than normal and a courser texture... which isn't very appealing. The one positive thing I have to say is that my hair was much easier to comb after washing.

I am not familiar with using ACV rinses at all so I haven't tried that yet. I guess I'll have to keep looking around for a different bar- although I am so lost when it comes to natural products, especially shampoo bars. I've only ever used liquid shampoos full of SLS and the like before. Do any of you have recommendations for shampoo bars that you like? I need something that is moisturizing but not too heavy for my fine hair. My scalp tends to be more on the oily side after a day or two... so I need something that will clean without overdrying, I guess.

Length
    12/48/term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ArienEllariel View Post
    Okay so I tried the Bert's Bees Rosmary Mint bar today. I didn't care for it much. :/ My hair felt kind of wet and waxy afterwards, even when I followed up with conditioner. Now that my hair is dry, it feels much drier than normal and a courser texture... which isn't very appealing. The one positive thing I have to say is that my hair was much easier to comb after washing.

I am not familiar with using ACV rinses at all so I haven't tried that yet. I guess I'll have to keep looking around for a different bar- although I am so lost when it comes to natural products, especially shampoo bars. I've only ever used liquid shampoos full of SLS and the like before. Do any of you have recommendations for shampoo bars that you like? I need something that is moisturizing but not too heavy for my fine hair. My scalp tends to be more on the oily side after a day or two... so I need something that will clean without overdrying, I guess.
    I used ACV rinses. The trick is to play around with the ratio of water to ACV and find out what works for you. I put about a tablespoon or two in a large bottle, it probably holds about 4-5 cups of water.

From what I understand, some sort of acidic rinse is almost always needed for shampoo bars.
    Hippie at Heart

Length
    short/35 in/clssc
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

So, I remember when I started using CV bars last year I posted trying to figure out how long they were supposed to last, because I was going through them way too fast for my tastes. Now I have the opposite problem - they are lasting so long, and I want to buy more! I'm still using the four sample bars I bought in JUNE, and at this rate they'll last me another couple months at least. But I'm dying to buy some full-size bars, and I can't wait to try out the new Ayurvedic bar, not to mention all the soap flavors I've got my eyes on.

Clearly you all are a terrible influence on me, making me want to buy things I won't even be able to use til January.
    'Life is far too important a thing to ever take seriously.'

Quote Originally Posted by ArienEllariel View Post
    I think most people on here like the Chagrin Valley bars (CV). I've tried the unscented marshmallow root bar from Sweet Creek Herbs (SCH) which I liked, but after I while I've gone back to the CV bars.
    On their website they have recommendations for oily/dry hair bars, but its not fool proof and what works for one person won't work for someone else who describes their hair the same way.
    I like the Mud and Clay bar, which is supposedly for oily hair, but I find it less drying that others. I also like the tea tree and neem. Chamomile and citrus is also for oily hair, but I find it leaves my hair a bit limp, whereas other people swear by it.

A lot of people use ACV rinses, like Longlocks3 mentioned. I use citric acid. It comes in a solid crystal/powder. I mix about a teaspoon with 500-700mls of water and leave the bottle in the shower, since it doesn't need to be refrigerated, and it has no smell. I find that I need the rinse with the CV bars, but not with the SCH bar, otherwise the cuticle doesn't lie flat and my hair gets big and tangled. I've started using a tiny bit of Aubreys conditioner mixed with a little water after the rinse now that the weather is getting cold again.
    The best thing to do is order a whole bunch of samples, I originally ordered two that sounded exactly like what I needed from the description, but I really don't like either of them. Then, try a few different rinses, in different concentrations, temperatures, etc., see what works.

Quote Originally Posted by masterofmidgets View Post
    Now I have the opposite problem - they are lasting so long, and I want to buy more!
    You could always 'unintentionally' leave it in a puddle of water!

Type
    1a/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by masterofmidgets View Post
    So, I remember when I started using CV bars last year I posted trying to figure out how long they were supposed to last, because I was going through them way too fast for my tastes. Now I have the opposite problem - they are lasting so long, and I want to buy more!
    Don't let that stop you. I know I've got too many already, and that those I have will probably last me ages, but I still ordered more I can't wait to try the auyrvedic herb one, I've got a sample coming soon (hopefully! I thought I might get it today, but my mailbox was empty ), as well as loads of soap samples.
    "And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who do not believe in magic will never find it." - Roald Dahl

Type
    1a/F/M/ii/iii

I have a hair-washing dilemma today... Go with Mud & Clay (that I know works for my hair) or try the ayurvedic bar sample that was in my mailbox today?
    Decisions, decisions...
    "And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who do not believe in magic will never find it." - Roald Dahl

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Do you have to go anywhere today?

If not, try the new one. If you have somewhere you need to look presentable, go with what works.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Type
    1a/F/M/ii/iii

I do, that's why it's a little bit of a dilemma Nothing major, but I am going downtown, and then home to my parents for the weekend and I would like my hair to not look disastrous... not that anyone's going to care except me probably, but still...