Page 323 of 878 FirstFirst ... 223273313321322323324325333373423823 ... LastLast
Results 3,221 to 3,230 of 8775

Thread: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Default ACV with a Shampoo Bar

Hi! Do I have to do an ACV rinse after using a shampoo bar or can I just condition as usual? Thank you.

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: ACV with a Shampoo Bar

CavyQueen, have you visiting the massive shampoo bar thread?

You can do either, it all depends on your hair, and your water. I would experiment to see which you prefer. I generally do a vinegar rinse prior to my conditioner, but it's more a force of habit than necessary. On the occasions when I just condition right after, my hair is just as nice.

Hi manderly! Yes, I saw that thread and did not see an answer to whether I need to do an ACV rinse. Everyone seems to like the bars. They seem more like condtioners. How do they cleanse? Thank you.

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

They cleanse quite well, there is a transition period where your hair may be quite funky, though.

And I still require conditioner, while lots of others don't.

I would recommend you take some time to read the first couple of pages of that thread (I know it's absolutely massive!), skip to somewhere in the middle and read a bit, then skip to the end and read a few pages. That's a good way to get a lot of good information out of a massive thread like that. There is also a search function within each thread, so you can search for specific words or phrases to help you find if someone has already asked your question.

Then, there is always the option to comment in the thread with your question That thread is a mover, so it would be answered within hours.

Welcome to LHC, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by CavyQueen View Post
    Hi manderly! Yes, I saw that thread and did not see an answer to whether I need to do an ACV rinse. Everyone seems to like the bars. They seem more like condtioners. How do they cleanse? Thank you.

Length
    buzz/ear/WL+
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Whether you need to do an ACV rinse is a matter of how your hair reacts to the bar. Personally, I've only used conditioner after a 'poo bar while traveling, when I didn't want to deal with bringing vinegar and mixing it while living in dorm housing, and my hair was fine. That said, I never tried it long term, and I was in a very soft-water area.

The only way to tell if you need the rinse, is to try your bar with just a conditioner. If your hair feels waxy or coated, try the rinse next time. You can do both a rinse and a conditioner, in any order, if you want. If you want a more concrete answer, check out the massive shampoo bar thread, paying close attention to the locations of people that have good results with the various permutations. If a lot of people who live in your area say they need a vinegar rinse, you may need to, as well.

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

It depends on your water. At home, with hard water, I don't do a rinse or condition, just a prewash oiling. I do finish with a cold water rinse, though I don't actually know if it makes much difference.

At uni, with soft water, I put conditioner on the length before doing a lemon juice rinse (ACV makes my hair go greasy really quickly), because my hair feels really horrible without an acid rinse. In retrospect, I don't think I did a cold water rinse the time I forgot the acid rinse, so I might try that when I get back to uni and see how it works.

I have noticed once or twice at home that I've needed to apply a wee bit of conditioner to all my hair after washing because it felt rough, but the conditioner's acidic enough to close the cuticle.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Length
    15/24/30(?)
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: The Shampoo Bar Thread

I think that the need to do an ACV rinse (or similar) is dependent on whether your water supply is hard or soft. If hard (high mineral content), you will want to do an ACV rinse. I have soft water and don't do one; I just use a conditioner afterwards and it's good.
    (pre-LHC)

Length
    25/35/50?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i/ii

Red face Re: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Like I said before, all in all my hair seems to love the poo bars, but my ends have been grumpy ever since the fiasco where I tried to use a soap bar as a conditioner.

Since then I've been using conditioner on my ends (mini-CWC style). My ends were happy with CWC before. But they are still giving me grief. Since then I have clarified, SMT'd, and put conditioner on my ends before I've so much as touched a shampoo bar.

I'm not quite sure what to do about them anymore. My ends just don't seem to want to recover. I'm not even putting the shampoo on them anymore and they are still grumpy! GAAH!

/rant

Length
    15/27/30
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by manderly View Post
    CavyQueen, have you visiting the massive shampoo bar thread?
    Isn't this the massive shampoo bar thread?

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinPrincess View Post
    I got my samples the other day and used my Chamomile Citrus from CV two days ago. I followed with a citric acid/lemon juice rinse. It was 2 teaspoons CA and about 50 ml lemon juice in 1 L of water. My hair immediately felt silky! After it dried, it felt a little coated though. My roots and the very ends of my hair felt fine, as well as my bangs (flat-ironed) but the mid-section felt... slightly waxy? Not sure how to describe it exactly. It did get better though. Anyway, I'm about to go wash again. Going to try the same bar again, but this time I'm going to use 2 t CA and 100 ml ACV along with some EO for scent. I absolutely can't stand the smell of ACV though, so I might try conditioner this time too. Will update when dry! Could be awhile, my hair takes forever to dry.

ETA: Almost forgot to say that to clarify, I dissolved some baking soda (not sure how much, just some in the palm of my hand, maybe a tablespoon?) in 8 ounces of warm water, and dumped it on my head, massaged gently through, then rinsed. I also lathered with the shampoo bar twice.
    By midsection do you mean around the nape? With conventional shampoos I just shampoo the roots, and I found when I switched to bars it could get greasy there. What I suspect was the problem is that the liquid shampoo runs down towards the nape area, washing out the grease, but with a bar you actually have to wash that area like you would the rest of the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Canarygirl View Post
    I think that the need to do an ACV rinse (or similar) is dependent on whether your water supply is hard or soft. If hard (high mineral content), you will want to do an ACV rinse. I have soft water and don't do one; I just use a conditioner afterwards and it's good.
    I think my hair's weird. I keep reading that you need an acid rinse in hard water but not necessarily in soft water, but I have the opposite experience. In soft water I need it, in hard water I just use the shampoo bar and nothing afterwards and my hair feels better than it does with anything else I've done to it. I'm going to kind of miss the water when I go back to uni

Quote Originally Posted by bttrfly857 View Post
    Isn't this the massive shampoo bar thread?
    It was initially another thread that was merged in here
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB