Page 311 of 878 FirstFirst ... 211261301309310311312313321361411811 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,110 of 8775

Thread: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Length
    25/35/50?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Hello all. I thought I would join your lovely thread as I keep reading it and buying shampoo bars.

I'm hoping to cut out conditioner entirely, but my hair needs moisture so my latest experiment involved using soap on my ends rather than conditioner, and it was kind of a disaster. I suspect I need a stronger vinegar rinse. I did an SMT yesterday and so next wash day, I'll try it again with a stronger rinse.

I'm developing an addiction to CV products in general. I've gotten more people than just me hooked on the lotion bars. I'm afraid to buy too many more things, because I just KNOW I'll use them and have to keep them in stock.

Length
    15/24/30(?)
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Anybody know the dif between Seattle and Portland?
    yeah...about 20 years worth of fashion progress.

Seriously, I'm just north of Seattle and our water measures 33 TDS which is very low; so, soft water here. Shampoo bars should work just fine (in addition to soap/complexion bars).

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    37"/39"/term
    Type
    3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Merewen View Post
    Hello all. I thought I would join your lovely thread as I keep reading it and buying shampoo bars.

I'm hoping to cut out conditioner entirely, but my hair needs moisture so my latest experiment involved using soap on my ends rather than conditioner, and it was kind of a disaster. I suspect I need a stronger vinegar rinse. I did an SMT yesterday and so next wash day, I'll try it again with a stronger rinse.

I'm developing an addiction to CV products in general. I've gotten more people than just me hooked on the lotion bars. I'm afraid to buy too many more things, because I just KNOW I'll use them and have to keep them in stock.
    Do you use the lotion bars on hair or body, or both? I bought a couple a while back. I tried one on my hair a couple of times, but then forgot about them. I want to use them and would appreciate any tips or ideas. Thanks.

Length
    25/35/50?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i/ii

Swirlytresses, I tried the lotion bar on my hair once. It's supposed to help with split ends but I don't like the idea of sealing it with beeswax for too long so I haven't done it since. However, my Three Butter lotion bar works WONDERS on my dry hands. Also I read somewhere that the hemp mango mint can be used as a deodorant, and I'm trying it because I am curious and it's a heck of a lot more natural than my grocery store deodorant. I just started today though, so I can't report on how well it works. However, I can say that my armpits smell very minty today!

Length
    14"/22"/30"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Just out of curiosity, how many washes do you guys usually give a bar before deciding that it works for you or doesn't? I washed again with the extra honey, beer, and egg with much better results than the last time, but I'm still having my same old issues with stringy-looking, flyaway hair. Again, it's worse at the back of my head. It feels very soft and smooth, and looks ok as long as it's up, but I don't feel comfortable wearing it down because of the stringiness. I'm pretty sure it's just how my hair reacts to vinegar, but this is also the first time I've actually gotten through several washes with zero waxiness, and I think that's due to my using a vinegar rinse every time. So, some questions:

1. For those of you who use lemon juice, citric acid, or any other kind of acidic rinse besides vinegar, do you find that your hair behaves differently with them than with vinegar, or do you just do it for the lack of smell?
    2. For those of you who do use vinegar, what's the lowest dilution you've used successfully? Right now I'm using 1 tbsp to 1 quart water. Does that sound too strong?

Oh, and Merewen, I'm very curious to know how the hemp, mango, mint lotion bar works out!
    Last edited by nueinsel; July 8th, 2009 at 01:09 PM. Reason: adding to reply

Length
    buzz/ear/WL+
    Type
    1c/M/iii

nueinsel, I noticed my hair looked awesome from the first day I washed with my JR Liggett bar. That said I had been experimenting with natural hair care and had been using Terressentials Pure Earth Hair Wash (i.e., mud), which made my hair feel heavy and not so clean, so it must have been thrilled to actually get washed for once.

I rinse with 1-2 Tbsp. in a cup of water, so between a 1:16 and 1:8 dilution (I've gotten to where I eyeball it in a jar). Sounds like you're using a 1:64 dilution now, so mine is stronger and successful for me. I also have soft water, but I also have oily hair and wonder if the stronger (but not too strong) acid helps cut the oil. I used to use a 1:3 or 1:2 dilution when I washed normally with mud but clarified once a week with Dr. Bronner's, and that was too strong.

Length
    14"/22"/30"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Thanks, Madame J. I know I've used 1 tbsp in 1 cup of water, and I remember the reaction being less good, but it was a long time ago, so I don't know if that's accurate. Now I want to try a stronger dilution and a weaker dilution both! I'm not so good with the experimenting. It makes me want to wash my hair every day with all the different permutations of routine so I can find the best one like Now. Alas.

Type
    1a/1b/C/ii

Oh man - that lotion bar as a deodorant?! Why didn't I think of that! ::smacks forehead:: I really like how it smells and feels, haha. I almost never use deodorant, but when it's really hot and I'm going to be in the sun, I always have to borrow a friend's. Time to try this idea out. =)

Nueinsel - I finally see your hair! Haha. I'm not sure if I mentioned this or not (so forgive the repetition), but because 'poo bars aren't as strong (aka stripping) as normal shampoo... maybe you need to lather up your length some more? Whenever I forget to really work the shampoo into all parts of my hair, I ALWAYS leave the strip near the back at the nape of my neck unshampooed, and it's stringy and gross (probably because it got the ACV rinse AND is dirty). Your pictures look like if I forgot to wash the upper part of the length with the poo bar.
    I normally work up a good lather on my hands, apply that to the area, and let it sit until all the bubbles seem like they absorbed. Wash out. Is it waxy? If NOT, I'd repeat - I keep washing until my hair feels waxy there so that I KNOW that it's gotten cleaned of any oils still there. Hopefully that helps.

Length
    Shldr/BSL/TB/CL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Canarygirl View Post
    yeah...about 20 years worth of fashion progress.

Seriously, I'm just north of Seattle and our water measures 33 TDS which is very low; so, soft water here. Shampoo bars should work just fine (in addition to soap/complexion bars).
    I'm out on the very tip of the peninsula, and I've heard that our water is hard. I'm not actually positive though. I just know when I tried poo bars before, they didn't work, but I also had been using cones before that. I can't wait til I can order some and try again!

Neoma - Thanks! I think that'll be my best bet too. With any type of hair stuff, I've always had to rotate my products.
    1st goal: BSL May 2009 ​re-reached late 2012 2nd goal: Waist Final Goal: TB or Classic

Length
    15/24/30(?)
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

you can contact your municipal government (do they have a website?) and look for your water supply. You should be able to see the report for the city's water supply that will show the level of TDS...total dissolved solids.