Page 21 of 878 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121521 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post

My package from PLH is on its way, I can't wait. I ordered the Chamomile Citrus and Patchouli ones, and the neutral "herbal hair rinse"...
    Anyone ever tried soaps from both of these makers, and noticed any differences? They're both 100% natural, right?
    Ashley, I'm glad that you found a shampoo bar and ACV ratio that work for you. When you find that combo, it's like magic.

Conventional LHC wisdom has it that PLH are more cleansing (without being stripping) and that CV bars are more moisturizing. I tend to agree with that. If my memory serves me correctly, PLH bars left my hair soft and clean without being the least bit weighted down. Several PLH bars are enroute to me right now; I'll let you know whether my memory is accurate.

Lady Neoma, Defender of Creatures Great and Small

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    26?/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

I just washed today with the CV Extra Honey Beer & Egg bar and I think it may a little too moisturizing/protein heavy for regular use. It provides nice results for me most of the time but I think it is a bar I may just need to use one in a while. I again made my ACV with some rosemary and sage--just wonderful! It really cut down on the vinegar-y smell and makes my hair soo shiny. My hair is more wavy than usual today as well.

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea88 View Post
    I just washed today with the CV Extra Honey Beer & Egg bar and I think it may a little too moisturizing/protein heavy for regular use. It provides nice results for me most of the time but I think it is a bar I may just need to use one in a while. I again made my ACV with some rosemary and sage--just wonderful! It really cut down on the vinegar-y smell and makes my hair soo shiny. My hair is more wavy than usual today as well.
    Ohhhhh, rosemary and sage. That sounds delightful. I haven't used sage in my vinegar rinses, yet, but I should, since it has darkening properties.

It sounds like you're getting good results overall. That's great, SweetPea!

Length
    BSL/CL/Knee
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

I got two PLH bars in a sample trade (not through here), fragrant tresses and Patchouli (yeah, yeah stereotypes!)
    Here I will say, I like both CV and PLH.
    I do think PLH are more cleansing than CV, and I will be coming up with a rotation guideline for that.
    I like the second-day feel much more than the CV (which backs up Neoma's more moisture theory) but the ends are a touch drier.
    Last edited by truepeacenik; March 23rd, 2008 at 03:43 PM. Reason: clarify "both."
    Join a declutter challenge http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=141272

Nevertheless, she persisted.

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    Miss Murphy directed me here, and I'm happy to see there's a new poo bar thread!

Last time I wrote here, I was disappointed because shampoo bars left my hair feeling coated, still half greasy and too voluminous to be comfortable with.

Well, today I'm here to report a great success with my CV Café Moreno bar! The only change I made was the dilution of the vinegar rinse. I used to add 1 tablespoon ACV to 1 litre water, which turned out to be way too weak!
    Today I diluted the ACV 1/10 (75 to 100ml on one litre), and the minute I poured it over my head, even IN the shower, my hair became really soft!
    I let it soak in for half a minute to a minute, then rinsed out well and finished with a cold water rinse.

The result: Lovely clean and shiny hair and no waxy feeling whatsoever! Wow. I'm not sure if it's this particular bar or the change in the ACV rinse, but I'm so satisfied. I didn't use conditioner or leave-in, and my hair feels great. Just like it does with normal shampoo. Yay!

I hope this dilution, 1/10, is a good one. Does anyone know if it's too strong, I suppose not? Also, I'm hoping the results, even with different bars, will continue to be like this.

My package from PLH is on its way, I can't wait. I ordered the Chamomile Citrus and Patchouli ones, and the neutral "herbal hair rinse"...
    Anyone ever tried soaps from both of these makers, and noticed any differences? They're both 100% natural, right?
    That dilution should be fine. Mine is *much* stronger and my hair thrives on it! I think partly it depends n your hair and your water hardness.

I've tried PLH bars and had no luck, ditto with Soaplady bars, but others love em!

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Length
    APL/waist/class
    Type
    1b/F/ii

From Neoma:
    Conventional LHC wisdom has it that PLH are more cleansing (without being stripping)
    Darn you enablers! I have a small (and growing) collection of CV bars, but have just submitted an order for PLH bars:

Chamomile Citrus
    Ginger Beer
    Peppermint & Tea Tree
    Sage, Sweetgrass, & Cedar

I am interested to see whether they may work better for my slightly oily hair. We'll see . . .

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    Darn you enablers! I have a small (and growing) collection of CV bars, but have just submitted an order for PLH bars:

Chamomile Citrus
    Ginger Beer
    Peppermint & Tea Tree
    Sage, Sweetgrass, & Cedar

I am interested to see whether they may work better for my slightly oily hair. We'll see . . .
    hehehe...I live to enable.

Katja, I have not tried the Ginger Beer or the Sage, Sweetgrass & Cedar. Please let us know what you think of those two. I'm especially curious about the fragrance of the latter, since it does have perfume oils in it. I couldn't stand the Fragrant Tresses PLH bar because it was really perfumy. (Some people here love it.) But the idea of the Sage, Sweetgrass and Cedar really appeals to me, fragrance-wise.

Length
    Short/BCL/Long
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Hello, I'm gatecrashing!

I CO at the moment, but now I have read through this whole thread you have all got so curious. Does anyone have any experience ordering from CV or PLH to the UK?

Any suggestions what to go for? My hair is henna'd and is quite fine and dry, the ends are still recovering from bleach.
    Thank you in advance.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    26?/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Neoma View Post
    Ohhhhh, rosemary and sage. That sounds delightful. I haven't used sage in my vinegar rinses, yet, but I should, since it has darkening properties.

It sounds like you're getting good results overall. That's great, SweetPea!
    I really love the rosemary and sage together! It really helps with shine and cuts down on the vinegar smell pretty nicely. I initially chose them because of their darkening properties (...ok & because they are in my yard).

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea88 View Post
    I really love the rosemary and sage together! It really helps with shine and cuts down on the vinegar smell pretty nicely. I initially chose them because of their darkening properties (...ok & because they are in my yard).
    Hehe... You made me think of Martha Stewart, who always "just happens" to have the perfect flower or herb in her backyard. Bill Geist did a spoof where he went in his backyard and found things like empty beer cans and ugly branches. He made a "wreath." Ha!