Page 19 of 878 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119519 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Length
    bob/80/termi
    Type
    1c/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine69 View Post
    Hairstorm, which shampoo bars did you try? one of my favorites is the Olive/babassu bar. It's not scented with anything and is very mild. How often do you wash your hair? Are the flakes you describe actually skin and not some buildup from products or shampoos or soap curd from hard water?
    Thanks Sunshine69!

I've tried:
    Olive & Babassu: This probably worked the best of all of them, but the sample got used so quickly I couldn't evaluate properly.
    Babassu & Marshmallow: made me itchy and flaky.
    Nettle: second best, but a bit drying/flaky.
    Castile & Caledula soap: made my hair feel wonderful, but made me flakiest of all.
    Cedarwood & Lavender Shampooch: itchy. I'm allergic to lavender.

I think what is happening is the soap gives me dry skin, which then turns into flakes. How can I tell the difference between skin flakes or product flakes? Mine seem adhered to the scalp, then come off in 2-3 mm flakes (sorry if TMI.) It also makes my forehead flaky.

My area does have hard water but I use a shower filter now. I wash about every 2-3 days.
    Overall:1cCiii (Canopy 1bCiii; Front 3aCii; underneath 2bMiii) "...true beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It is the caring that she lovingly gives, the passion that she shows, and the beauty of a woman with passing years only grows!" Sam Levenson

Fox in the Snow wonderlywroughte's Avatar
    Length
    Bob/18.5/Knee
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

I just got a sample of Cafe Moreno from CV. I can't wait to use it! Yay! I'm thinking a washing is due for tomorrow. (Um...my hair was already due for a washing. But maybe with a new bar to use, I won't make excuses and put it off like I usually do!)

I can fly!

Length
    12/19/30
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I just got Nettle and Olive Oil and Babussu (?) is that how you spell it? It just reminds me of how you say 'they are kissing' in arabic. In any case, I was so thrilled with the Nettle that I didn't try the other one. You made me want to try it. I am really happy with CV bars and I don't feel an adjustment period though thanks for the hints about the acv rinse. Very appreciative of all the help.

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Calista View Post
    Talking of dog shampoos - once more I would like to encourage everyone to give Idaīs dog shampoos a try. I use the Cedarwood&Lavender myself, and it is one of my favourite bars! I havenīt tried the oatmeal one as Iīm a little wary of having pieces of oatmeal clinging to my hair, but maybe chloeishere could give it a try. They are truly wonderful shampoos, not just for dogs! I know I said this before, but I really feel those shampoos shouldnīt be hidden in Idaīs pet section.
    My goodness, I love the multi-quote feature!

I'm glad that you jumped into this conversation, Calista! I knew that one of our LHC members was extremely fond of Ida's dog shampoo bars. I've got to give them a try some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Murphy View Post
    Neoma, I'd love to hear what herbs and EOs you add to your vinegar rinse! I'm quite into herbs right now, so I'd love to get some input.
    Miss Murphy! So nice to see you.

When I make herbed vinegar, I add one or more of the following: hibiscus flowers, peppermint, nettles. Hibiscus provides a little slip. I find that when I use nettles in my rinses, detangling is easier. And peppermint stimulates the scalp.

I let them steep in a small jar of white vinegar for at least a week, preferrably a month. Then I strain the herbs out and mix the herbed vinegar into the gallon jug of white vinegar and add my EO's.

My three all-time favorite EO's are all good for the scalp. And I love the way that they smell, individually and together. I usually add equal parts of all three to my gallon jug of white vinegar.

Quote Originally Posted by ari810 View Post
    I just got Nettle and Olive Oil and Babussu (?) is that how you spell it? It just reminds me of how you say 'they are kissing' in arabic. In any case, I was so thrilled with the Nettle that I didn't try the other one. You made me want to try it. I am really happy with CV bars and I don't feel an adjustment period though thanks for the hints about the acv rinse. Very appreciative of all the help.
    ari, I'm glad that you're enjoying your CV bars and didn't have to endure an adjustment period.

Now I'll think "they are kissing" every time I hear "babassu."

Lady Neoma, Defender of Creatures Great and Small

Length
    22/22/40
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

Hello hello

Aww reading this thread is like coming home to the old LHC. I didn't post much back when I read because I lurked for a few months, but I loved reading all of your posts. Thanks for starting this up again Neoma!

I'm sure someone has already mentioned this, but do any of you know if shampoo bars strip out color? I did hendigo a couple months ago and noticed that my color seemed to fade more quickly when I was using CV bars. My theory is that the shampoo bars are alkaline and therefore open up the cuticle, letting some of the color escape. I'm not sure if this is why, but something made my color fade.

Has anyone else experienced this? I hope it's not the shampoo bars that make my color fade because I really liked what they did for my hair and I'd like to start using them again. What do you guys think?

Type
    1c/M/ii

I just finished reading through all 19 pages of this thread and I am fascinated. I definitely want to try shampoo bars! I mentioned it to my mom during dinner tonight and she asked me to send her the links - of which I have a multitude thanks to all of you! I think the hardest part will be trying to decide which bar(s?) I want to try first.

I can't seem to use pure soap regularly without buildup, and I have access to Lush in my town, so I'm experimenting with their bars now.

For those who don't know, Lush recently made a switch in their line; now Seanick, Soak and Float, Squeaky Green [I]and[I] New! are all SLS free. They still use a synthetic (It's in the "safe synthetic" category), called sodium coco-sulfate, however that is the only synthetic for some of the shampoos. (The main ingredient)

I'm not too thrilled by the "perfume" ingredient, because it is so unspecific, and I'd rather scent my own, but I'm going to experiment and let you all know how it goes. There are some people who simply cannot use lye-soap because of their water. I think it's mildly incredible that we can have a bar shampoo too!

I'm using Trichomenia alone right now, as a soap and shampoo. I think it may be too moisturizing, because I'm getting buildup from *it* too. Will do a clarifying wash next time, and see.

Enjoy your bars of soapy goodness!

Hey Everyone !!

I tried the Clay and Mud one first from cv and liked it.
    Then the next day I tried the sunshine one and loved it.

Havent used them again as I love to rotate my many products so my hair doesnt get too used to anyone thing.

I still found that I need to use my all time fav Giovanni Direct leave in...GOT TO LOVE IT !!!!!

Will be using the Olive/B on my trip to Montana and yes taking my 50/50 and Direct from Giovanni with me. My hair and skin do not like it being so dry like it is in MT...just me,lol.

Have a Happy Easter everyone!!!

Deb in UpState NY
    2a/f/iii 1/4"/pixie/40"/TB/CLASSIC/TERMINAL

375/188/175

Bringer of teh lolz Miss Murphy's Avatar
    Length
    ear/BSL/waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Neoma View Post
    Miss Murphy! So nice to see you.
    Good to see you too!
    I've been reading this thread since the beginning, but so far haven't had much to say

My three all-time favorite EO's are all good for the scalp. And I love the way that they smell, individually and together. I usually add equal parts of all three to my gallon jug of white vinegar.
    Yes, but which ones are your three all-time faves? :shakesNeoma:
    I added 2 drops of Rosemary to my rinse today (after lavender spice), so I don't know if that was too much/too little...
    Help!
    Lady Entropy of the Lawless Lands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    Bringer of teh lolz (bringer of the laughs) - check out the lolcritters-thread!

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Thanks for starting this up again Neoma!
    You're welcome, Mahars. I must admit, my motives were entirely selfish.

My three all-time favorite EO's are all good for the scalp. And I love the way that they smell, individually and together. I usually add equal parts of all three to my gallon jug of white vinegar. Yes, but which ones are your three all-time faves? :shakesNeoma:
    I added 2 drops of Rosemary to my rinse today (after lavender spice), so I don't know if that was too much/too little...
    Help!
    Oh, miss murphy! I forgot to say which EO's are my favs! They are peppermint, lavender and rosemary. Yummy!

Lady Neoma, Defender of Creatures Great and Small