Page 18 of 878 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118518 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Humanist/Procrastinatrix chloeishere's Avatar
    Length
    16nck/~BSL/here!
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine69 View Post
    This is my dog Chloe. She's about 1-1/2 years old and has been using CV dog shampoo bars for about 3 months. She loves the oatmeal one. It makes her coat so soft.

She's a beautiful dog! I love her face, she looks like such a sweetie! And she looks so soft-- I bet she smells great.

I'm also rather partial to that name of hers...

Length
    26 in/34.5/35 in
    Type
    1b/M/C/iii

I am a soapmaker and I have not made a "shampoo bar" yet. I have used my soap as shampoo when traveling, but have not made the switch. What would you want in the soap? Do you like it better than liquid shampoo? I am in search of new products for my hair, unsatisfied with my current one (Avalon Organics Lavender). Help!

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by aprilmay View Post
    I am a soapmaker and I have not made a "shampoo bar" yet. I have used my soap as shampoo when traveling, but have not made the switch. What would you want in the soap? Do you like it better than liquid shampoo? I am in search of new products for my hair, unsatisfied with my current one (Avalon Organics Lavender). Help!
    aprilmay, are you asking what makes a shampoo bar different from a soap bar? I'm a little unclear. If the answer is yes, then I would suggest that you read the CV and PLH websites, which have some good info on the differences between the two. There are also a few soapmakers on LHC who would be glad to tell you the differences, as well. In fact, I think there may already be a thread about that.

Yes, I like shampoo bars way better than liquid shampoo. My posts throughout this thread, especially the first two, explain why.

HTH

Lady Neoma, Defender of Creatures Great and Small

Length
    26 in/34.5/35 in
    Type
    1b/M/C/iii

My understanding is castor oil is the main added ingredient to shampoo bars. I just find it interesting why people prefer them being frustrated with my current shampoo. Hair is a commitment, but I get distracted by everything else in my life!

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by aprilmay View Post
    My understanding is castor oil is the main added ingredient to shampoo bars. I just find it interesting why people prefer them being frustrated with my current shampoo. Hair is a commitment, but I get distracted by everything else in my life!
    I'm sorry, aprilmay, I had misunderstood your questions.

In a nutshell, I prefer shampoo bars because I believe:
    • They are more gentle than any liquid shampoo that I have ever used.
    • They give my baby fine hair more body than any other cleansing routine that I have ever used. (And body allows me to create lasting updos, which is something I can't do when I use conventional shampoo and conditioner.)
    • They routine that I use -- shampoo bar followed by a vinegar rinse -- is easy and inexpensive.
    • I like that shampoo bars have minimal packaging, are natural and, usually are made by small business owners.
    There are probably other reasons, but those are the ones that occur to me right now.

Lady Neoma, Defender of Creatures Great and Small

Account Closed by Member Request

Talking of dog shampoos - once more I would like to encourage everyone to give Ida´s dog shampoos a try. I use the Cedarwood&Lavender myself, and it is one of my favourite bars! I haven´t tried the oatmeal one as I´m a little wary of having pieces of oatmeal clinging to my hair, but maybe chloeishere could give it a try. They are truly wonderful shampoos, not just for dogs! I know I said this before, but I really feel those shampoos shouldn´t be hidden in Ida´s pet section.

Length
    pixie/hip/tbone
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Oooh, Chloe is a beautiful long hair girl, Sunshine69! give her a good pat on the head from me.
    Lady Celtycke Quenne of the Wolflands in the Order of The Long Haired Knights.

Bringer of teh lolz Miss Murphy's Avatar
    Length
    ear/BSL/waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Neoma View Post
    I basically stick with the white vinegar because it's dirt cheap. Also, by the time I add herbs and EO's, my WV smells really good (at least to me).

Neoma, I'd love to hear what herbs and EOs you add to your vinegar rinse! I'm quite into herbs right now, so I'd love to get some input.
    Lady Entropy of the Lawless Lands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    Bringer of teh lolz (bringer of the laughs) - check out the lolcritters-thread!

Length
    bob/80/termi
    Type
    1c/C/iii

Thank you, Ohio Sky! Yes, I love aloe and I use it as a leave-in on my scalp. I also mix it with lotion (must be non-cone) and apply that to my scalp, and that is a wonderful moisturizer. Still, the flakes return when I wash. Maybe shampoo bars are just not for me, which would be too bad. It seems no one else here has the flake problem.

I also use the Shampooch on my dog and it works great. I tried it on myself and I got itchy, but then I'm allergic to lavender. You can see Kumi in my photo album if you're interested.
    Overall:1cCiii (Canopy 1bCiii; Front 3aCii; underneath 2bMiii) "...true beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It is the caring that she lovingly gives, the passion that she shows, and the beauty of a woman with passing years only grows!" Sam Levenson

Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Hairstorm, which shampoo bars did you try? one of my favorites is the Olive/babassu bar. It's not scented with anything and is very mild. How often do you wash your hair? Are the flakes you describe actually skin and not some buildup from products or shampoos or soap curd from hard water?

Calista, I agree with you about the dog shampoos. My husband likes the cedarwood for himself. I've never had a problem rinsing out the little bits of oatmeal from the oatmeal bar. I have also tried many of Ida's regular shampoo bars and soaps on my dog. They're all pretty versatile. Some of the shampoo bars that I didn't love for my hair I really loved as regular soaps. For anyone considering these CV bars, I suggest that you just order a bunch of samples (of soaps and shampoo bars and even shampooch) that sound interesting and try them all on your hair, body and even dog.
    Lady Parvati, Messenger of Unity in the Order of the Long Haired Knights