Page 110 of 878 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120160210610 ... LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 8775

Thread: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Length
    buzz/38/dunno
    Type
    3a/F/ii

Default Re: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Darya and Loviatar, thank you both so much for your comparison of HBE and Extra HBE. That helps a lot!

I have considered trying Cafe Moreno but I fear my silvers will go yellow or something, because of its darkening effect. Anyone have problems like that with it, or with the Rosemary Mint?

Hi - I'm new to LHC, and new to shampoo bars, but really excited about both. All the info/advice on here has been SO helpful! I've been using natural shampoo/cond (no sulphates/silicones) for a while, but still clarified w/baking soda at the beginning (lazy, just added to 1st poo-bar lather). So far, in 2-day intervals (my usual): 1) Chamomile/Citrus, Nettle, 2), 3) Babassu Marsh Mallow, tonight. ACV rinse was already part of my routine, continued. Hair is a bit different w/each bar, but nothing bad so far. With each bar, my scalp has been so happy/comfortable, no itchies on 2nd day. 1st C/C bar left hair very tangly, but better when dry. Used a drop of cond in ACV rinse after 2nd Nettle bar, nice results. No cond after 3rd bar tonight - felt odd/waxy till dry, but full & great now. Yippee! But I have a question about shine ... or lack thereof. I use a 'blow-dry' type hairbrush with pretty sparse plastic bristles - the slight waxy feel when wet feels protective, but makes me wonder if a different type of brush would 'polish' it better, make my hair shinier? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Length
    waist/calf/term
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

All of these posts have me interested too! Do you need to do an ACV rinse after each and every use?
    Lady Bernadetta of the Fabulous Four Tops Forever Fanatics ~
    in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights!

Length
    14.5/31/?
    Type
    1c/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Tressie View Post
    All of these posts have me interested too! Do you need to do an ACV rinse after each and every use?
    I do But I don't use ACV, I use simple diluted lime juice.

Which makes me wonder... if the acidity of ACV is suitably interchangable with amla and chamomile tea for releasing dye in henna, couldn't one presumably rinse with chamomile tea instead of ACV or citric acid? Something to think about... I'd love the possible lightening side effects (after sun exposure!)

Hey! Loviatar, maybe that's lightening your henna; doesn't lemon juice or chamomile tea left on the hair cause it to lighten in the sun? Maybe the acidic rinse is making the hair susceptible to lightening... Hrrmmmm... I wonder.

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Oskimosa.......I just wanted to address your last comment. Acid is not necessary for dye release in henna, that seems to be a dogma that many LHCers have debunked time and time again. I get release with plain tap water. The chamomile tea and amla don't do anything for release (and I have no idea of their acidity in comparison to vinegar).

I don't know what effect they would have on your hair following a poo bar. Let us know if you decide to experiment.

Length
    Buzzc/Shl/Clsc?
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I do not know what is up with my hair....... Could be related to my postpartum shedding starting and my hormones settling but I am not really happy with it. It is knotty (especially the canopy after sleeping), I have a lot of whisps/halo, and it is sort of sticky.
    Could it be buildup? It is going on for a while. And I have been using CV exclusively for a year now.
    I have never ever clarified...... So is it a good idea? Are these symptoms maybe buildup? Can I use a SLS shampoo to clarify? I do not know if my old permed ends will agree with baking soda so I want to clarify as gentle as possible....
    Also I noticed that coconut oil as a leave in does strange things suddenly to my hair. It makes it crunchy which is a problem I never had with coconut oil. Shea butter and cocoa butter leave my hair nice soft and moisturized but I do not know for certain if long term usage will lead to build up...
    Reached classic in 2012. Cut off all my hair summer 2012 to pixie. Buzzed it all off in 2016. Growing since then!
    On my way to APL.

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Definitely sounds like you could benefit from clarifying. An SLS will work fine, you may want to lather a couple of times. Remember to remoisturize your hair, it will probably be dry from the SLS.

My hair gets wonky every so often....soooooo tangly. Usually clarifying with my Neutrogena anti buildup or bs fixes that right up.

Length
    Buzzc/Shl/Clsc?
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Can I just use a normal conditioner? Or should I wash once/twice with shampoo and then use a shampoo bar?
    Reached classic in 2012. Cut off all my hair summer 2012 to pixie. Buzzed it all off in 2016. Growing since then!
    On my way to APL.

Account Closed by Member Request

Melian, if I need to clarify I use a baking soda rinse, followed by a moisturizing CV bar such as Olive Babassu, and I don´t find this procedure overly drying. I try to avoid commercial products, so SLS shampoo and conditioner are not an option for me. Although I don´t have perm damage my ends are also damaged by colouring and careless handling in the past, and they take the BS quite well.

Length
    pixie/shldr/?

Just an update in case it helps other newbies:

I skipped the clarifying. I decided it wasn't necessary as I've cut out products with silicone and I just used the Vanilla Mint VO5 earlier this week. Today I used the Chamomile Citrus; lathered 3 times but instead of running the bar down my (relatively speaking) "length", I lathered the soap in my hands and then washed my scalp, and then down the length. I did that 3 times, then did an ACV rinse. My hair felt a little strange in the shower but I think that can be chalked up to the difference between the bar and drugstore shampoo.

My hair looks and feels great today. My hairline curls are popping out, it's soft, full of body, very manageable. I REALLY like the chamomile/citrus bar.