Page 101 of 878 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201601 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 8775

Thread: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Default Re: The Shampoo Bar Thread

i'm pretty new here and trying to figure out what routine will work best for me. i've been doing CO cos i've had really dry hair and a lot of hair loss due to hormone/thryoid/ autoimmune issues, but the ingredients in a lot of the cream rinses concerns me so i'm beginning to consider shampoo bars. the ingredients seem simpler less toxic, more natural than what's in most cream rinses.

i'm wondering-- why did others decide to go with shampoo bars?

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    26?/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

bgarrison, I decided to give shampoo bars a try mainly because I saw so many good reviews over at the old LHC (there was a massive thread). When I first joined I was a sulfate and cone user, mainly just out of habit, and never realized that my hair doesn't really like those ingredients. I then experimented with shampoo only because I learned that conditioners cause shedding for me. Since the shampoo only route was pretty effective, though a bit drying for long term, I figured that shampoo bars would be a good solution. I was looking for something completely natural but also cost effective (college student budget!) and easy to use. I absolutely fell in love with the bars instantly and they have really helped my hair become healthier and more manageable.

Length
    20.5/24.0/?
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I had been doing "no poo" or any other products except for one slip up since May 26th. This past weekend, I went out of town and my hair became atrocious looking. It was a greasy and stringy. I have a bar of Lemon Verbena soap from Trader joe's and used it on my hair this morning. I used a vinegar and lemon e/o rinse and my hair is soooooooooo soft and fluffy!!! I love it and don't even know the actual ingredients in the Lemon verbena soap. Guess I will have to go back and buy some more!!!

Length
    14.5/31/?
    Type
    1c/C/iii

bgarrison, I think alot of us here are wary of sulfates, since they are known to be rather dangerous to health. That, and they really strip your hair of natural oils. I for one didn't want to keep using them regularly. Still, you can find liquid shampoos without sulfates but typically that means they are also very expensive. I'm not a long hair yet but I've got thick hair so using a ton of expenisive shampoo is not an option!

Like SweetPea88, I'm on a college budget, trying to be healthy and have gorgeous hair along the way

Length
    27/TB/?
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

I read that some of you have used CV regular bars as a shampoo bar with good results. But I couldent find out wich you used. Which ones is the best to use as a shampoo bar?

HappyKarin, I´m afraid you´ll have to find out for yourself which bars your hair likes. Some bars mentioned were Cucumber Lime Yogurt, Lemon Lavender, Rhassoul Yogurt, Grapeseed Shea, Shea Rose Clay. And more, I´m sure, only I can´t remember them all.

Just a quick note to let everyone know that now seems a good time to place an order at Chagrin Valley. Most shampoo bars are in stock - Ida seems to have caught up with things.

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Calista View Post
    Just a quick note to let everyone know that now seems a good time to place an order at Chagrin Valley. Most shampoo bars are in stock - Ida seems to have caught up with things.
    Thank you, Calista.

A quick update on my shampoo ventures...

I live in NYC, where we have relatively soft water. I've been in Boston the past few days. Boston has relatively hard water. My hair hates hard water.

The first day, I followed my usual shampoo bar/vinegar rinse routine. The length looked great, but my crown was a mass of uncontrollable, hideous "barbed-wire" hair. I felt quite unattractive.

The next day, I shampooed and conditioned with a bottled shampoo and conditioner and got similar results.

Day 3, I followed my usual shampoo/vinegar rinse routine. This time, I did not apply any of the vinegar rinse to my crown. The results were much better. My crown was smoother. Having said that, it looks nowhere as good as it does when I'm in NY.

I followed the Day 3 routine this morning. My hair is still wet, so I don't know how it turned out, yet.

My point is that there really is a difference between hard and soft water when it comes to shampoo bars. If I lived here, I'd have to get a filter or something in order to continue using my shampoo bars.

Lady Neoma, Defender of Creatures Great and Small

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by bgarrison View Post
    i'm pretty new here and trying to figure out what routine will work best for me. i've been doing CO cos i've had really dry hair and a lot of hair loss due to hormone/thryoid/ autoimmune issues, but the ingredients in a lot of the cream rinses concerns me so i'm beginning to consider shampoo bars. the ingredients seem simpler less toxic, more natural than what's in most cream rinses.

i'm wondering-- why did others decide to go with shampoo bars?
    I'd been avoiding shampoo with sulphates first, and then also parabens which was narrowing the field quite a bit. I also dislike strong artificial scents, making even less for me to choose from! (Desert Solutions I'm looking at you! Woof!) When I read about the shampoo bars in the thread on the old forum, they sounded like the perfect solution, plus I'd be supporting small, non-corporate businesses too! Yay! I'd have loved to have found a local bar even more, but sadly the only ones I could find did not play well with my hair when I lived in Oregon. I stocked up on CV bars while I could still get cheaper shipping and not deal with customs but I do hope I can find a Canadian bar that my hair likes just as much when I run out!

Quote Originally Posted by Neoma View Post
    Thank you, Calista.

A quick update on my shampoo ventures...

I live in NYC, where we have relatively soft water. I've been in Boston the past few days. Boston has relatively hard water. My hair hates hard water.

The first day, I followed my usual shampoo bar/vinegar rinse routine. The length looked great, but my crown was a mass of uncontrollable, hideous "barbed-wire" hair. I felt quite unattractive.

The next day, I shampooed and conditioned with a bottled shampoo and conditioner and got similar results.

Day 3, I followed my usual shampoo/vinegar rinse routine. This time, I did not apply any of the vinegar rinse to my crown. The results were much better. My crown was smoother. Having said that, it looks nowhere as good as it does when I'm in NY.

I followed the Day 3 routine this morning. My hair is still wet, so I don't know how it turned out, yet.

My point is that there really is a difference between hard and soft water when it comes to shampoo bars. If I lived here, I'd have to get a filter or something in order to continue using my shampoo bars.
    this is good to know-- thanks for saying this. i live north of boston and i keep telling people my hair is so much nicer when i travel, but they think i'm nuts. i have a water filter on my shower head, but i don't think it makes the water softer, just removes chlorine etc? not sure , i need to check.

isn't there something i can add to my rinse water to make it "soft"?

i just ordered some shampoo bars from plh, because i wanted to try to coco free one. (i'm *very* excited, lol!)

thanks to all who answered my questions. seems like i'm on the same page. chromis, i too am trying to avoid parabens and phthalates (artificial scents are often phthalates i've read) and adore supporting small business, so health wise and ethics wise, poo bars seem like the perfect choice. I just hope my hair likes them!!