Page 10 of 878 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110510 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Smokie View Post
    To what percentage are you planning to superfat your poo bar sample batch? Will you be adding things in the way of herbs and nummysmellythings? I'm curious and have a superdry scalp to match my superdry hair. Basically, what I'm trying to say here is if it proves to be too much moisture for you, I might be interested in buying the leftovers off you.
    I will keep that in mind Smokie.

First I'll try my liquid soap since that is ready to use. After that I will decide what suferfat percentage I will try in my next testing batch. And maybe I will make the same recipe in poo bar and liquid to see what the difference will be. That will be a fun experiment.

Length
    16"/BSL+/Waist
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

I use CV and Lush bars.

Love:

CV Rosemary, Lavendar, Aloe
    Lush Squeaky Green

Not So Love:

CV Lavendar Spice
    CV Olive Babassu

The Routine:

• wet hair
    • run bar from hairline to length
    • lather
    • scalp scrub
    • rinse
    • repeat
    • condition ends
    • ACV rinse

Humanist/Procrastinatrix chloeishere's Avatar
    Length
    16nck/~BSL/here!
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Neoma View Post
    chloeishere, I am curious to hear the details. Enquiring minds want to know!
    Sorry for the delay till today; I was going over to my boyfriend's house and knew I wouldn't feel like updating as soon as my hair was dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemma View Post
    I absolutely adore these bars but I noticed on the BPAL forums that quite a few people didn't get along with them. I suspect my hair loves them so much because my hair just soaks up oil and doesn't get weighed down by it.

I am very interested to hear your thoughts!
    I can believe that!

Oh, here's an ingredients list (this is for the Forbidden Fruit bar):
    Sunflower oil, coconut oil, castor oil, sodium hydroxide, jojoba oil, canola oil, fragrance, chromium hydroxide green.

My first thought is that Sunflower oil must be very heavy and moisturizing, because this is hands-down, the absolutely most moisturizing bar I've ever tried.

The first time I used it, I had done a medium oiling with coconut oil and avocado oil. So my hair was pretty decently oily. I tried the "nylon poof" method of lathering and applying, which didn't produce enough foam for me, so I also lathered a bit in my hands, and on my scalp. I stuck to one wash (even though I wasn't sure if my hair was really clean, did a dilute CA rinse, and put on conditioner and my normal leave in (respectively, Trader Joe's nourish spa, and Manor Hall deep conditioner).

My hair felt really, really good, soft, hydrated, silky, and moisturized all the way down, even the ends. But look-wise? Not so hot. It was really piecey and looked somewhat dirty to me, even after I combed. I have some waves that don't always come out, and they were going crazy. I liked that part!

I wasn't sure if my hair felt so good from the oiling or the shampoo bar, or whether the shampoo bar just wasn't strong enough to get out the oil, so I decided to wash again the next evening.

This time I went in with nothing on my hair (no treatments that is, just my normal leave-in from the day before), and I washed again, trying with a different nylon poof (which worked better, but still didn't produce enough lather for me), and then lathering a bit on my hair and hands.
    After the first wash, I washed again, just doing my scalp region. I had forgotten to make a CA rinse, so I skipped that and put on my conditioner again, then did my normal leave-in.
    Hair is better this time, but still a bit heavy/ piecey feeling. It's also still remarkably soft and shiny. Both times I've washed with these bars, my shed has been very minimal.

We're having a sunny day today, so I took a picture of my hair, today (cleaner) vs. yesterday (piecier). These are both right after I've combed:
    Today:
    Yesterday:

All in all, I'm going to alter my routine to incorporate these bars-- right now, I'm planning on trying to wash more briskly, and try not using conditioner. I've never used a shampoo bar without conditioner, but I think this bar is just that moisturizing. I may have to stop, or minimize, my leave-in as well. I'm going to continue to do the citric acid rinse, as that helps get my hair a bit cleaner, IMO.
    If I still find it too moisturizing, I'll probably try washing with a CV bar and then using this on the length instead of a conditioner. I REALLY like the way this bar makes my hair feel!
    The Serpentine Hair bars are heavier and more moisturizing than I'm used to, but I think once I figure out an appropriate routine, my hair will be really happy!

Miscellaneous things I've noticed:
    I don't get NEARLY as much lather with this bar (unless I use a poof, which I've never tried with a CV bar) as I do with a CV bar, or most cold processed soaps.
    The scent lingers in my hair faintly (I can smell it when I take my hair down from a bun) which I LOVE!
    The bar seems to melt rather fast. It gets some bead of water on it in the shower, even though I keep it out of the stream except when I'm wetting it, and the bar gets REALLY goopy, kind of a green, soapy layer on top. Don't touch it until it's dried completely!
    When I cut it in half (which I did after the first shampoo), it was pretty moist and sticky on the inside. Maybe the bars could stand a bit more curing, which would improve the lather? However, I'm not sure, as I'd already gotten the bar wet once, it could be from that.

Please let me know if you have any more questions! Oh, the nylon poof thing is from the Serpentine Hair website, in the faqs. Here's the link, if you want to read up on it. It worked for Gemma, so I wanted to try it out, too.

I'll update again when I figure out a good routine for these bars, and let you know how we're getting on.
    Sorry this is so long!

Length
    baby/59"/60
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Does anybody NOT use the shampoo bar on their length--at least, not all the time? I used mine on the length today for the first time, because I accidentally used too much oil (I very rarely use oil anyway). But it seems like most people use it all through their hair.
    I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
    -Psalm 139:14

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Thank you for the review of the Serpentine bars, chloeishere!

Your hair is really a pretty color, especially in the sun.

When I cut it in half (which I did after the first shampoo), it was pretty moist and sticky on the inside. Maybe the bars could stand a bit more curing, which would improve the lather? However, I'm not sure, as I'd already gotten the bar wet once, it could be from that.
    It's funny that you should say this today...

When I got home from work, I pulled a Carrot Milk & Honey bar out from my secret hiding place and cut off a slice so I can start using it tomorrow. It is darker in the middle, and it reminds me a little of a loaf of bread that's cooked on the outside, but a little raw in the middle. I remember thinking that it wasn't quite cured when I first used it several months ago. But now...?

This is the first time that I've ever had this happen with any shampoo bar. I'm sure that it will work just fine, but I'm curious as to why it doesn't look like it ever completely cured?

Lady Neoma, Defender of Creatures Great and Small

Humanist/Procrastinatrix chloeishere's Avatar
    Length
    16nck/~BSL/here!
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Thank you Neoma, you are too kind.

I'm not sure why, myself. I'm thinking about the glycerin content... Or maybe some of the added ingredients?
    I bet you could drop Ida a note and ask her, I've heard they are very nice (though I've never needed to contact them about an issue), maybe she knows why the bars haven't always cured after about 5-6 months (overall time) of curing.

I've cut open a few of the CV bars and found a bit of dampness (and a darker color) myself, but not to nearly the extent of this bar. And, to be fair, the bar was only freshly finished curing, I think it was Chamomile and Citrus. The "moist" center area touched another CP soap bar that I had in the same container, and left a line of green stuff on it. And it did feel sticky, when I touched it...

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by chloeishere View Post
    Thank you Neoma, you are too kind.

I'm not sure why, myself. I'm thinking about the glycerin content... Or maybe some of the added ingredients?
    I bet you could drop Ida a note and ask her, I've heard they are very nice (though I've never needed to contact them about an issue), maybe she knows why the bars haven't always cured after about 5-6 months (overall time) of curing.

I've cut open a few of the CV bars and found a bit of dampness (and a darker color) myself, but not to nearly the extent of this bar. And, to be fair, the bar was only freshly finished curing, I think it was Chamomile and Citrus. The "moist" center area touched another CP soap bar that I had in the same container, and left a line of green stuff on it. And it did feel sticky, when I touched it...
    You're welcome.

I'm sure you're right -- Ida would be glad to tell me. If it happens with another batch, I'll ask her.

I am in need of a little retail therapy, and I'm really sitting on my hands, trying not to place an order for more shampoo bars. I am in the mood to revisit PLH again -- I really love their Aloe Fresh (light fresh, green fragrance) and the Rosemary Nettle (very herby, smells divine).

Speaking of PLH, they don't make the shampoo bars on their site. You can also buy them directly from Karla, the soap maker. I've never bought them directly from her, but I did exchange a couple of pleasant emails with her.

Whoo-hoo, they're here! For those wondering about shipping time, I ordered mine last weekend, they shipped out on Tuesday, and I got them (in California) today. I think I would have gotten them yesterday, but the tracking info says USPS "missent" them at one point, which delayed them.
    I'm off to the shower right now (can't wait until tonight!), and I will let you know the results when my hair dries (which will take a couple of days).

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by JennQ View Post
    Whoo-hoo, they're here! For those wondering about shipping time, I ordered mine last weekend, they shipped out on Tuesday, and I got them (in California) today. I think I would have gotten them yesterday, but the tracking info says USPS "missent" them at one point, which delayed them.
    I'm off to the shower right now (can't wait until tonight!), and I will let you know the results when my hair dries (which will take a couple of days).
    I'm glad you got your order, Jenn!.

OMG, your hair takes two days to dry?

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think.

Beware Of The Beagles Alley Cat's Avatar
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I have done my first shampoo bar was today after trialling WO for 2 months. I used PLH Hempchouli. Not sure what I am doing with my washing routine as yet, the WO didn't quite work out and for today I decided to do a shampoo bar wash.