Thread: Henna stains/rinsing/first henna

Length
    3"/17"/24"
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Question Henna stains/rinsing/first henna

Hi everyone!

I'm plannign on hennaing my hair for the first time this weekend and since I'm scared for my acrylic tub I'm going to be doing the rinsing/washing in my yard.
    Anyway, I have 2 questions..
    1. Does anyone have experience with henna and acrylic tubs(specifically Bath Fitters). I have a little piece of the tub material from when it was installed, so I can do lots of experiments, but I'm curious if anyone else has tried it out.
    2. Does henna was out little by little over time, like how chemically hair dye will(especially reds)
    I'm dying to do this with the least amount of damage to my tub as possible(my old tub was purple and blue lol!)

Thanks! I'm loving the amount of info on this website, it's great

~Cat

Length
    Ears/MBL/TB
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

Default Re: Henna stains/rinsing/first henna

Henna is permanent permanent permanent! Unless you have very odd hair (and some do), it is *extremely* unlikely that henna will *ever* wash out!

Some people have done henna glosses which have sloooowly faded, but others find even these to be extremely permanent.

I find that the only thing henna has ever stained is my skin and my hair. It washed right off the porcelain bowl and my bath (not procelain...not sure what it is). The only thing I would expect henna to stain is cheap, porous plastic.
    Finally embracing what nature gave me

Can I have waist length hair for Christmas?

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

I'm another who hasn't had any non-keratin items stained with henna. I do mermaid soaks in my plastic bathtub with no problems. Same for splotches that land on the sink/counter.

(Note that I only use pure henna, never boxed mixes -- YMMV!)

I'm just not ready to be a Renegray yet!
    Avatar credit to the lovely milagro

Length
    23/27/TBL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

I've never had a problem staining my cheap plastic bathtub with henna. It'll dye any bits of grime in the tub which is worrying but it washes right off when you clean the tub. Its never dyed any of the bathtubs I've used (2 acrylic, 1 ceramic) but if your concerned and have some spare, test it
    APL > BSL > Waist > Hip > TBL

Length
    23/27/TBL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Sorry missed 2nd question What celebriangel said, permanent Mine hasn't faded much at all and the last time I hennaed was maybe a year ago.
    APL > BSL > Waist > Hip > TBL

Type
    2b/M/ii

My acrylic tub has scratches on it, and no henna has ever stained it, even in the scratched bits!! I've used boxed henna, LUSH henna, and BAQ henna and found no difference at all

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

For what it's worth, scrubbing with a bit of baking soda gets henna and tumeric spots off my counters pretty effectively. In case you do happen to have staining issues.

As others have said, henna is pretty much forever. Some people have their first application fade a bit, but usually by the second application, you'll have hennaed hair until you cut it off. Strand test if you're not prepared to take whatever bright red result you get. And don't be freaked out or totally entranced by the bright orange of freshly hennaed hair -- it'll mellow over about the next 3 days.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    3"/17"/24"
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Thank you all so much for your responses, you've helped put my mind at ease. I plan on doing strand tests today, and I'll also experiment with scrap piece of tub so I'll let you know how it goes

Length
    3"/17"/24"
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Here's the results of my experiments with a scrap piece of acrylic tub. Using Lush Caca Rouge I did three tests. First was a quick smear of henna, then rinsed off water, second was a glob of henna left on for 10 minutes, the third was another glob of henna left on for 30 minutes, and there were no stains at all.
    Those are the only tests I could think of, but if anyone wants me to try doing other tests let me know