Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 100 Brush Strokes a Day

Length
    18/28.5/35
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Default 100 Brush Strokes a Day

The more you brush your hair, the better?

I noticed some of the users on LHC brush their hair using numerous strokes per day. I've heard brushing with a BBB is healthy for hair because it pulls the natural oils down to the ends.

So...the more brushing one does, the better? Or is this only the case for certain individuals?

I love to brush my hair, and I'm hoping it isn't too bad for it!

Length
    APL/Hip+/TBL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: 100 Brush Strokes a Day

I think it varies. 100 brush strokes would be too excessive for me, but it works for a lot of people.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.
    -Helen Keller

Length
    12/22/30
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Brushing dosen't seem to work for me at all, I prefer a wide tooth comb, or indeed finger combing

Easter 2012

Length
    Ears/MBL/TB
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

I think it depends on the hair. For thick or medium or coarse type hair, I am sure that would work great. However with F/M type hair myself I find a BBB eats my hair slightly.

I use my fingers in a "preening" method to distribute my natural oils, even though I am a CO person not WO. I find it keeps my length in good condition and helps me to stretch washes.
    Finally embracing what nature gave me

Can I have waist length hair for Christmas?

Length
    bsl/elbow/n/a
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I like my boar bristle brush, and I do use it but not for 100 strokes a day. Not even 100 strokes a week. I've got fine hair, so the less I handle my hair the better. The brush helps if I'm trying to cut down on how often I get my hair wet, since a good brushing can help with an itchy scalp.

Length
    CBL/WL/CL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I have very fine and thin hair so I believe the less brushing the better for my own hair.

Length
    CBL/TBL/-
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Echoing what others have said, it seems to depend on the hair type. My hair is delicate, so I think 100 strokes a day would be overkill for me. That being said, I know there are some LHCers who actually do the 100 strokes a day thing (Madora comes to mind) and it works great for them.

Brushing that much would exacerbate my splits. I comb, or brush with a tangle teezer, and usually try to keep it to just once a day. For me, I think the less handling, the better.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

My hair's fine and a bit on the fragile side. I think 100 stokes a day is just too much cumulative friction. My BBB tends to be reserved for de-linting my hair.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Type
    2b/M/iii

Avid 100 strokes a day boar bristle brusher..for more than 40 years!

I had (over 10 years ago) very, very thick, long hair and I've always brushed 100 strokes a day (right after I get up, the best time to brush), per the George Michael method of long hair care (which I've been practicing since 1960).

The best brush is a natural, 100 pure boar bristle brush. BBBs are a natural product, not a synthetic, and the structure of the boar bristle understands your hair's structure.

Brushing not only exercises your hair follices, it distributes your hair's natural sebum down your strands, removes dirt, lint and stuff from the atmosphere and gives your hair incredible softness and shine.

HOW you brush determines how your hair will turn out!

Mr. Michael's method always worked for me..as well as countless of ladies (and men) in the US and around the world! Thick haired, thin haired, long or short, his brushing method works!

While he endorsed 100 strokes a day with a pure boar bristle brush (as did my maternal grandmother, who had a thick head of beautiful red gold hair), it is NOT a number etched in stone!

If you want to brush 50 strokes a day..or 25..then go to it..BUT be CONSISTENT! Do it EVERY day!

Also, start off slowly at first, don't do the entire 25, or 50, or 100 right away! Work up to it. Start with 10 and add a few strokes a day until you reach your goal.

Always, always, ALWAYS, DETANGLE your hair with a wide tooth comb first, before touching the brush! Brushes are NOT detanglers!

I brush all my hair in front of me like this: bend at the waist, detangle all hair, then do my 100 strokes. I have no troubles with tangles as I handle my hair in a certain way to make tangles just about non existent when brushing.

Also, remember when you brush to follow each swipe of your brush with the palm of your other hand. This cuts down on the static electricity engendered by your brush (a natural thing).

For the sake of your hair, AVOID using plastic, synthetic, rubber on your hair! These materials generate HEAT, and heat is NOT good for your hair.

Curlies can brush also...but must take extra precautions and go s l o w l y when they brush.

It only takes me 5 minutes to detangle and brush my thick, 43 inch hair.

Your hair benefits in so many ways from brushing!

The type of boar bristle brush varies greatly...from long, thick, stiff bristles, to softer bristles that are thinner and shorter. The stiffness in the bristles will fade with time.

Your bbb should be kept squeaky clean and all hair removed from it after you finish using it.

I love my Goody bbb! There's a picture of it in my hair album.