Thread: What is the difference between these products?

Length
    Chin/APL+/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

Default What is the difference between these products?

I originally planned to be product free, but I just want to know the differences in these just in case I want to try them out for special occasions; and if it's okay to use them. Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Difference in - Pomade or Wax (Ignore this one I repeated it lol) Instead, Difference in - Gel or Mousse
    Difference in - Cream or Lotion
    Difference in - Balm or Dressing/Hair styling oils
    Difference in - Pomade, paste, wax or putty

Are any of these drying/damaging?
    Are their any differences in appearance, feel/texture, or weight?
    Are some of these hard to wash out? Which ones causes build-up the fastest?
    And do you think I could CO, CWC, C-Cow-C, Shampoo Bar, and if all else fails Baking Soda most of these out of my hair?
    *Which ones do you apply first? Which ones last?

Any experiences are appreciated

TIA

Edit: Also, I would like to know if anyone has used and hair tonics before? I know their more popular with men but does anyone in LHC (or any lady you know ) use them anyway?
    Last edited by Jcv-Shelley; June 27th, 2011 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Wording mishaps :p
    ~Making mistakes means learning new things~

Length
    27/42/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Default Re: What is the difference between these products?

Well, I can only speak to the questions about pomades. Typically, a pomade is softer and less sticky than a wax or a putty. AFAIK, that makes them less damaging but they also mean you can't 'sculpt' the hair quite as much - you'll get a harder hold out of a putty or a wax, but that comes at a cost because your hair can't be pulled out of place without risking damage.

In my experience, a pomade is the only one you can brush through without it being painful, which is NOT to say it's a good idea, just that for me at least it doesn't hurt. The last time I had shortish hair I tried to re-style hair that had been done with a putty and OUCH!

~Blaze
    Lady Blaze Sweetsong of the Swift Arrow and the Law Scroll, Priestess of the Divine Flame in the Order of Long-Haired Knights, with her service dog Sir Foofus

Length
    Chin/APL+/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

BlazingHeart - So basically, pomade is a lighter version of putty and wax? Well I don't know why I couldn't find that out myself, thanks a bunch BlazingHeart . Yes, less damaging is a definite bonus. I will be sure to look into pomade before the other two. Also, my hair probably won't be that hard to shape up, even though at times it can be flat. The way you described putty and wax almost sounds like concrete. (Ok maybe not that bad! More like hair glue.) I find comfort in finding I can run a brush through my hair after using a product, never take things for granted I say. When I had short hair, it turned out to be so spiky and just that I didn't even try to style it, but if I ever cut it short I probably won't be using anything in it anyway. I'm glad my hair is starting to grow now so that I can do much more with it, at least that's just how I feel.
    Last edited by Jcv-Shelley; June 27th, 2011 at 07:56 PM.

Length
    ??/Hip/??
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I've used most of these before, so this is from my own experience.

Pomade VS wax
    -Wax is generally more sticky, and therefore has more hold, than pomade (though there are some exceptions). I find that pomades are better for scrunching into hair for volume and some texture, whereas wax is better for detailed texturizing, shaping and hold.
    -Wax may not necessarily have a harder texture than pomade. This really depends on the amount of hold. For example, a soft-hold wax has a pretty similar texture and consistency to a medium-hold pomade.
    -Both wax and pomade usually consists of beeswax or wax of some sort, so shampoo would work the best in getting washing it out. However, some waxes/pomades are water-soluble, so you may be able to get away with CO-washing.
    -Neither of these dry completely, unlike gel, so it's easy to reshape and touch up the hair in the middle of the day.

Cream VS Lotion
    -Creams have a consistency similar to that of creamy facial moisturizers, but may be thicker or thinner depending on the type you get. Lotions may come in spray form, or it may be a light-weight, thin cream.
    -Both are used before styling to help set the hair (eg. straightening, curling, scrunching), and they usually do not have a lot of hold.
    -Both are generally easy to wash out, because they're not very sticky, but this ultimately depends on the ingredients.

Balm VS dressing
    -I'm not very familiar with balms, since the term seems to be used pretty loosely. But I get the impression that they are a type of heavy styling cream, with more hold than a cream, but less hold than a pomade. Dressing, as far as I know, is an oily type of pomade, though I've seen the terms being used interchangeably.
    -I don't know how easy it is to wash out balms, though I'd imagine you'd need shampoo of some sort. Dressing definitely needs to be shampooed out since they usually contain some waxes.

Pomade VS paste VS putty
    -Pastes are generally pretty similar to waxes, except it's more creamy than waxy. Putties tend to be a jelly-like (some jiggle when you shake it) consistency, though I've seen some pastes being labeled as putties before. Some putties are glue-like, and forms strings of fibers when you pull it between two fingers.
    -Hold-wise, pastes have the most hold, then pomades and putties are around the same level, depending on what you're trying to achieve. Putties are good for doing bed head looks, or even slight wet looks, and pomades I've already explained.
    -Paste washes out like a wax, and putties are generally easy to wash out because they are thinner in texture.
    -Like waxes and pomades, pastes and some putties do not dry completely, which makes for easy restyling. Some putties might dry completely, and it all depends on the type you got.

-Unless they contain alcohols, or some other drying ingredient, then no, none of these should be drying. Waxes and pastes may be a concern for damage, because they are really sticky and may do a small amount of damage to the hair follicles. I've used wax quite often in the past on a daily basis, and honestly, I didn't notice any damage from it.

Are their any different appearance, feel/texture, or weight?
    -Appearance can vary between brands, and even within brands, two waxes might look different from each other.
    -Feel and texture I've already described above.
    -As for weight, if ranking from heaviest to lightest, it would go something like:
    Paste/wax > Balm > Pomade/dressing > Putty > Cream > Lotion
    This, of course, varies depending on the type of hold you're getting. Generally, stronger holds of any product are heavier than softer holds.

-Yes, waxes, pastes, some pomades, and probably dressing can be difficult to wash out if a large amount was used. I personally never had a problem with washing out waxes or pastes. Everything else should be fairly easy to wash out, though regarding the styling balm, I cannot say for sure as I'm pretty unfamiliar with it.
    -The ones that are difficult to wash out are most likely to build-up fastest. But, from personal experience, if you shampoo the product out properly after every use, then there will not be build-ups. The trick to washing sticky styling products out is to lather up, then let the shampoo sit in your hair for a minute or two before massaging the product off your hair.

And do you think I could CO, CWC, C-Cow-C, Shampoo Bar, and if all else fails Baking Soda most of these out of my hair?
    -With the creams and lotions, you can probably get away with CO-washing, but everything else will probably need to be removed with shampoo, shampoo bars or something just as strong.

Pomade and wax are pretty much the same thing except that pomade imparts shine and wax gives more of a matte texture. I would say that pomades and waxes are less damaging than gels or mousses and mousse is less damaging than gel since gel tends to have a stronger hold and really coat the hair than mousse. (I'm talking about commercial strong hold gels that contain alcohol). If things contain alcohol and have a stronger hold, the more damaging it is for the most part. As for creams and lotions, cream would have a thicker consistency and be more emollient than lotion. Lotion would be more runny and have a lighter hold and can be used easily evenly throughout the hair. So basically when styling your hair, you could work in a setting lotion evenly throughout damp hair and then once finished you can go in with a little dab of styling cream over the ends to piece out, moisturize, define, or add soft texture. I hope this helps a little, I can be mistaken but this is only what I know.
    Last edited by kidari; June 26th, 2011 at 07:31 PM. Reason: added more info.

Length
    Chin/APL+/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by |Xei View Post
    I've used most of these before, so this is from my own experience.

Pomade VS wax
    -Wax is generally more sticky, and therefore has more hold, than pomade (though there are some exceptions). I find that pomades are better for scrunching into hair for volume and some texture, whereas wax is better for detailed texturizing, shaping and hold.
    -Wax may not necessarily have a harder texture than pomade. This really depends on the amount of hold. For example, a soft-hold wax has a pretty similar texture and consistency to a medium-hold pomade.
    -Both wax and pomade usually consists of beeswax or wax of some sort, so shampoo would work the best in getting washing it out. However, some waxes/pomades are water-soluble, so you may be able to get away with CO-washing.
    -Neither of these dry completely, unlike gel, so it's easy to reshape and touch up the hair in the middle of the day.

Cream VS Lotion
    -Creams have a consistency similar to that of creamy facial moisturizers, but may be thicker or thinner depending on the type you get. Lotions may come in spray form, or it may be a light-weight, thin cream.
    -Both are used before styling to help set the hair (eg. straightening, curling, scrunching), and they usually do not have a lot of hold.
    -Both are generally easy to wash out, because they're not very sticky, but this ultimately depends on the ingredients.

Balm VS dressing
    -I'm not very familiar with balms, since the term seems to be used pretty loosely. But I get the impression that they are a type of heavy styling cream, with more hold than a cream, but less hold than a pomade. Dressing, as far as I know, is an oily type of pomade, though I've seen the terms being used interchangeably.
    -I don't know how easy it is to wash out balms, though I'd imagine you'd need shampoo of some sort. Dressing definitely needs to be shampooed out since they usually contain some waxes.

Pomade VS paste VS putty
    -Pastes are generally pretty similar to waxes, except it's more creamy than waxy. Putties tend to be a jelly-like (some jiggle when you shake it) consistency, though I've seen some pastes being labeled as putties before. Some putties are glue-like, and forms strings of fibers when you pull it between two fingers.
    -Hold-wise, pastes have the most hold, then pomades and putties are around the same level, depending on what you're trying to achieve. Putties are good for doing bed head looks, or even slight wet looks, and pomades I've already explained.
    -Paste washes out like a wax, and putties are generally easy to wash out because they are thinner in texture.
    -Like waxes and pomades, pastes and some putties do not dry completely, which makes for easy restyling. Some putties might dry completely, and it all depends on the type you got.

-Unless they contain alcohols, or some other drying ingredient, then no, none of these should be drying. Waxes and pastes may be a concern for damage, because they are really sticky and may do a small amount of damage to the hair follicles. I've used wax quite often in the past on a daily basis, and honestly, I didn't notice any damage from it.

Are their any different appearance, feel/texture, or weight?
    -Appearance can vary between brands, and even within brands, two waxes might look different from each other.
    -Feel and texture I've already described above.
    -As for weight, if ranking from heaviest to lightest, it would go something like:
    Paste/wax > Balm > Pomade/dressing > Putty > Cream > Lotion
    This, of course, varies depending on the type of hold you're getting. Generally, stronger holds of any product are heavier than softer holds.

-Yes, waxes, pastes, some pomades, and probably dressing can be difficult to wash out if a large amount was used. I personally never had a problem with washing out waxes or pastes. Everything else should be fairly easy to wash out, though regarding the styling balm, I cannot say for sure as I'm pretty unfamiliar with it.
    -The ones that are difficult to wash out are most likely to build-up fastest. But, from personal experience, if you shampoo the product out properly after every use, then there will not be build-ups. The trick to washing sticky styling products out is to lather up, then let the shampoo sit in your hair for a minute or two before massaging the product off your hair.

-With the creams and lotions, you can probably get away with CO-washing, but everything else will probably need to be removed with shampoo, shampoo bars or something just as strong.

Oh..my..goodness! That's a lot of information. I never knew someone on LHC would've used a lot of these products. Thank you so much.

Kidari - I will remember to buy ones who are alcohol free. So it's cream/lotion and then paste etc. I'll remember that.
    Last edited by Jcv-Shelley; June 27th, 2011 at 07:45 AM.

Length
    ??/Hip/??
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Jcv-Shelley View Post
    Oh..my..goodness! That's a lot of information. I never knew someone on LHC would've used a lot of these products. Thank you so much.
    You're very welcome My brother and I both like to style hair, so between the two of us, we have accumulated a nice collection of clays, waxes, pastes...etc. For myself, I'm not really into updoes and buns all that much (though recently, I've been getting into updoes...must be the LHC effect), so a lot of my hair styling involves something like: scrunch product A into hair for effect 1

Growing by Benign Neglect In2wishin's Avatar
    Length
    15/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by |Xei View Post
    Balm VS dressing
    I really can't help with the other products but I do know that a balm is basically oils thickened with wax: no water, etc in it.

Creams and lotions both have water plus an emulsifyer to bring the oils and water together. Cream is usually richer and heavier than lotion.

I haven't used any of these on my hair but I do make creams, lotions, and balms for skin care so I am going by that.