Thread: Worried about hair while traveling... Help Please!!!

Length
    SL/MBL/HL
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Post Worried about hair while traveling... Help Please!!!

Hey everybody! In two weeks I'm starting my job It's a fantastic job that I'm really lucky to have, because theatre teaching jobs are so hard to find right now.

Here's the deal--I'll be traveling for a month living in college dorms while I'm at work. I started CO washing 3 weeks ago to great success, but here at home I have well water and I was raised on well water. I'm concerned about CO washing in "city" water because I've heard so many different things about the chemicals and minerals in the water reacting with hair. When I lived in an area that had city water, I used regular shampoo and had to deep condition every other wash because of how dry the city water made my hair.

Has anyone else gone through something similar? I'm not really sure what to do, especially if CO washing in treated water will make my hair angry. I'm very sensitive to sulfates, so going back to regular washing or CWC aren't options for me.

I really appreciate all your help!
    To bring forth art is a calling most simple and severe, but at the same time a destiny and thus greater than any of us, more powerful, and immeasurable to the end.

Length
    46"/50"/Term.
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Worried about hair while traveling... Help Please!!!

Congrats!

How about taking along a sulfate-free shampoo as backup, just in case you need it? Even if CO works well for you, it might be nice to have it around in case you need a deeper cleaning (say, for spills or smells or whatever). I don't have any experience with or knowledge of the chemicals in city water supplies or how they'll affect CO, but I imagine it depends on the city. You'll probably just have to try it out and see.

Good luck on the routine and the new job!

[Insert something clever] BrightEyes7's Avatar
    Length
    APL/BSL/Done
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

I agree with Lea. Try doing your normal CO washing, if you need a little extra clean use the sulfate-free shampoo. If that's not enough, I don't know one city that doesn't have a Walmart you can get a harsher shampoo from.

I use city water and I've never had issues from build up or hard water. Each city is different so it really depends.
    Straightened.

Length
    15/24/33
    Type
    3a/M/ii

hard water was a huge problem for us. my hair went dry and i had loads of split ends. you can easily get a shower head filter for about $40, they last 6 months. or you could go for the perminate option of buying a proper filter, their amazing! ( no split ends yet) but also very expensive.
    well done on the job

Length
    SL/MBL/HL
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by darkrose View Post
    hard water was a huge problem for us. my hair went dry and i had loads of split ends. you can easily get a shower head filter for about $40, they last 6 months. or you could go for the perminate option of buying a proper filter, their amazing! ( no split ends yet) but also very expensive.
    well done on the job
    I wish I could purchase one, but I'll be in a new city every week, so permanent isn't an option for me. I'm also limited on how much luggage I'm allowed to bring, so I'm afraid a temporary filter may be too bulky and not fit on the college shower heads, which aren't designed to come off... Are there smaller ones maybe designed for travel?
    To bring forth art is a calling most simple and severe, but at the same time a destiny and thus greater than any of us, more powerful, and immeasurable to the end.