Thread: Lightening dark ash blonde hair?

Length
    chin/BSL/Floor
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

Default Lightening dark ash blonde hair?

Does anyone know some less damaging means of lightening hair? I have dark ash blonde hair.. on the verge of mousy light brown. So far I've tried two honey treatments left on for an hour.. the color didn't change much. I'd prefer to use something natural. I'm sensitive to the stuff in hair dyes.. I remember trying a boxed dye a few years ago that was semi perminent. I couldn't keep it on my head for the recommended time because my head started to burn (I think my aunt said it was the 20 vol. peroxide?). Is there anything, anything at all that I could use to lighten my hair that is more gentle? I'm not asking to go barbie blonde.. just more of a honey blonde or at least brighten up my hair.

Please don't recommend sun-in or just sitting out in the sun. Sun-in ruined my hair a few years back and made it look brassy. And sitting in the sun is a no no because of my fair skin.

Default Re: Lightening dark ash blonde hair?

I used to use a homemade chammomile/ lemon spray on my hair a few months back. Lemon is supposed to be very drying and only works with the sun, but I used only a little and (especially as it was winter) didn't go out in the sun too often so it had a minimal effect. It made my hair a little lighter and mainly gave it a more warm, yellow tone which is nice as I also have ash toned hair.

Also, honey treatments usually take several times to see results.

HTH.

Length
    12/33 WL/TB
    Type
    1c/F/ii

To my knowledge, there aren't any natural remedies that will give you the results you are looking for without either:
    a) going the Sun-in route. Lemon, among other things will do this
    b) not showing any difference at all. Honey treatment only makes a little difference. You could try adding ground cinnamon to your conditioner BUT please be cautioned because it's known to cause itches and even allergic reactions. Just because it's natural doesn't mean it's nice to your hair/skin.

So, what to do?
    I had some highlights (or actually balayage) placed a few years back and when you tell your hairdresser you want a subtle look OR ELSE (let it trail off, suggesting impending doom) you should probably get what you want without getting roots. Baby it with conditioner afterwards and you should be fine. I used to bleach my dark blonde/light brown hair light blonde and as long as I kept compensating with conditioner and hair masks it looked healthy enough. It was the upkeep that made me decide to go back to natural.

Length
    21/25.5/Hip
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

SL - APL - Just BSL~ BSL ~ Waist length - Hip length
    Currently in the infamous BSL stall

Type
    2a/F/ii

Natural ways to lighten hair:
    Honey Lightening
    Cinnamon

Gentler ways than bleaching to lighten your hair:
    Sun-in
    Blonder by John Frieda

Coconut oil can offer some protection against conventional bleach by doing an overnight coconut oiling and bleaching on the still oiled hair more info here. You might want to check out FrannyG's blog on hair care, she bleaches her hair and minimised damage to it: link to blog.

Good luck getting the hair color you want!

≈ωаѵєs оŋ τнє оcєаŋ≈ xoxophelia's Avatar
    Length
    26"/35"/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Blonder is a good option actually. I tried it on a small strip of my hair with a blowdryer and after putting it in twice I only saw enough difference to notice it and for it to be slightly more golden. I had tried Sun-In in the past and this was better.

It could be different for you though depending on how much red is in your hair. My hair shines golden so those hues came out but if your hair is deeper or more red than mine, you will definitely want to test a section on your underside.

~~embracing nature's waves~~
    instagram: monophonatic

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I have the same natural hair color as you. I do partial highlights on the top layer only, and lately I have also done this because I am poor and can't afford to go to the salon again for awhile. I really like the results on me. It got the ash tone out and made it more of a dark honey gold.

I also use coconut oil as a leave-in every other day.
    Your righteousness is like the mountains of God; your judgments are like the great deep; man and beast you save, O LORD. Psalm 36:6

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by xoxophelia View Post
    Blonder is a good option actually. I tried it on a small strip of my hair with a blowdryer and after putting it in twice I only saw enough difference to notice it and for it to be slightly more golden. I had tried Sun-In in the past and this was better.

It could be different for you though depending on how much red is in your hair. My hair shines golden so those hues came out but if your hair is deeper or more red than mine, you will definitely want to test a section on your underside.
    This is true, my results do have a hint of strawberry blonde in them, but I like that so it worked out
    Your righteousness is like the mountains of God; your judgments are like the great deep; man and beast you save, O LORD. Psalm 36:6

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

How did you do the honey treatments? i have managed to lighten my hair which has hendigo on it by honey and cinnamon treatments.

I use 4 tbs honey, 2 tbs cinnamon, 2tbs evvo in 24 tbs of de-ionised water. I leave this for 1 hour in a bowl for the natural peroxide to activate and then wash my hair with shampoo no conditioner and then add the mixture and leave for 1 hour covered in cling film and then wash off with conditioner.

I have done 5 treatments and my hair has gone from dark brown/red to a lighter red.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

made of sugar and cyanide MandyBeth's Avatar
    Length
    6"?/17"/.....
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

That's close to my color. Problem with any peroxide, I turn brassy. If you don't mind cones, John Frieda's clear glaze makes the color more rich and pretty. Cassia might work.