Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gender bias in hairccolor?

Length
    pixie/waist/clssc
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Default Gender bias in hairccolor?

My Natural hair is a very dark gold blonde, dish water. I hate that term for my color hair, a guy sporting the same color would
    just be called called blonde, why is this?
    Nothing says a mothers love like a giant robotic platypus butt

Length
    8.5"/19"/42"
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Gender bias in hairccolor?

I've heard guys' hair described as "dirty blond," etc. before, but for the most part I think most guys' hair is too short to really tell what kind of blond it is.

Length
    3 in./BSL/TLB
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

I'm thinking because women dye their hair so many different colors that there has to be different terms for each color.

On guys there's: blonde, brunette/brown, red, black. lol

Length
    11/27/30
    Type
    2b/F/iii

I think part of it is that guys with that shade are likelier to call it "brown." My ex-husband was a dark blond but he listed his hair color on official documents as brown.

Interestingly, my current husband lists his eye color as "brown" but if he were a woman I feel sure he'd call them hazel or dark hazel or something along those lines. No eyes with that amount of green mixed in can rightly be considered brown.

"Isn't that like a man?"

Length
    short/41/45"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

well, men dont often see color like women do they. we have better color vision and they have better vision for tracking movement.. men have tons of words for types of movements (think of all those terms men made up for sports), and women have lots of terms for different colors..
    can i call this classic length

Length
    pixie/bsl/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

I have noticed that too ... I don't want to pigeonhole an entire gender but the men that I've talked to about color talk about their colors in a very "discrete" way ... red, green, blue, brown, yellow, orange, purple, black, white. For women it's more of a continuum of colors ... teal, turquoise, robin's egg blue, superman blue, royal blue, sky blue, steel blue, coral, peach, mauve, tan, ivory, magenta, maroon, brick red, fire engine red, etc. etc... I could easily think of dozens of words I use to describe various shades of each individual color.
    I'm really not sure if this is a difference in perception or just a choice of words... would be interesting to find out though.

Quote Originally Posted by jaine View Post
    I have noticed that too ... I don't want to pigeonhole an entire gender but the men that I've talked to about color talk about their colors in a very "discrete" way ... red, green, blue, brown, yellow, orange, purple, black, white. For women it's more of a continuum of colors ... teal, turquoise, robin's egg blue, superman blue, royal blue, sky blue, steel blue, coral, peach, mauve, tan, ivory, magenta, maroon, brick red, fire engine red, etc. etc... I could easily think of dozens of words I use to describe various shades of each individual color.
    I'm really not sure if this is a difference in perception or just a choice of words... would be interesting to find out though.
    I've noticed it too.
    I always just thought men could care less if their hair is medium light blonde with ashy undertones and natural golden highlights during the summer. Lol it just doesn't seem like something a guy would analyze.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    bald/Hip:)/termi
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Well uh...guilty! I mean, i used to be creative and try to precisely describe colors when i was little, but no one would understand And with hair, i am really blind to it unless someone points it out first.

Length
    3"/3.5"/34"
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by trillcat View Post
    My Natural hair is a very dark gold blonde, dish water. I hate that term for my color hair, a guy sporting the same color would
    just be called called blonde, why is this?
    Well I'd call my husband a dirty blond he had platinum blond as a small child, but as he's aged it's darkened to a dishwater blond...which is a shocking term yeah... could also call it dark blond...but for some that conjures up more what I'd call "light brown" hair, like my daughter's... if my husband's hair actually grew a bit longer it might get a bit more sun lightened and look less dull .

But anyway, he'd call himself a blond...and while I can't disagree, I say it's dark or dirty blond (cause errm... it doesn't have any nice goldenness to it...)
    Starting over short and working towards virgin hair!

Length
    12/25/35
    Type
    2a/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by squiggyflop View Post
    well, men dont often see color like women do they. we have better color vision and they have better vision for tracking movement.. men have tons of words for types of movements (think of all those terms men made up for sports), and women have lots of terms for different colors..
    I gree with this and probably the fact that men probably couldn't care less about different types of colours. I had an ex who was dirty blonde but insisted he was brunette.
    Chin - Shoulder - APL - BSL - Waist - Hip - Tailbone
    - No Heat - Veggie Dyes - No Cuts -