Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Asians and red/light brown hair?

Length
    chin/WST33/TB37
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Thumbs up Re: Asians and red/light brown hair?

i like both equally, as they each have someting to offer

when its black, i think the contrast between the pale skin and super dark, shiny hair is gorgeous!

BUT, i also LOVE an "unnatural" color on Asian hair, b/c i like the drama it gives. and i think most Asian skintones (and the brown eyes too) really compliment a honey or reddish color.

even when i've dyed by own hair dark, darker hair just seems to have more shine, so i think a really good moisture treatment is a MUST for anybody at ALL who goes lighter on their hair.

personally, if i were asian (and, oh, how i wish i'd been born one!) i'd go darkest brown (if i wasnt already), and then add in a few hilights and some back lowlights... but not too many of either. that way it'd still be KINDA natural lookin, but not just the same as everybody else
    “U hve ur way.I hve my way.As 4 the right way,the correct way,& the only way,it does not exist.”FriedrichNietzsche
    Chin::Shldr::APL:: BSL::::Wst:: Hip

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: Asians and red/light brown hair?

I tend to be fond of the near-black to blue-black tones, but then, I tend to think most people look best in their natural color.

I did know a Hmong guy growing up who naturally had hair the color in the first picture. He got teased about it a lot because the other kids thought he dyed it. It was really striking!
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

≈ωаѵєs оŋ τнє оcєаŋ≈ xoxophelia's Avatar
    Length
    26"/35"/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

I'm not as much of a fan of the reddish brown color but that is mainly because a lot of the people who I've seen with it, were doing it to follow a trend instead of doing what looked best for their coloring. To me it seems the reddish colors kind of clash with yellow undertones sometimes where as those with the very fair complexions can pull it off.

You should go with whatever makes you feel most comfortable and also your prettiest.

~~embracing nature's waves~~
    instagram: monophonatic

Type
    1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by BlazingHeart View Post
    My preference for hair in general is less processed, so I prefer the darker tones.

I've always thought the contrast between winter-pale skin and dark hair was striking, personally. But I suppose that's the typical wishing for something you don't have - I'm super pale with chestnut hair (which has shaded from sandy blonde to darker from the time I can remember having an opinion about my hair to now). My half-philippina cousins have skin almost as fair as mine but dark brown or black hair, and they are SO lovely!

In the end, though, you're the one who lives with it, so you should do what will make you happiest.

~Blaze
    I agree. I was probably going to stick with the black.

Quote Originally Posted by luthein View Post
    I think the lighter colors can definitely suit Asian complexions; I like the tea-hair look. It was really popular when I went to college. If you'd like something different but don't want to have processed hair, you could try some clip-in extensions.
    I'm not sure what the tea-hair look is?

Quote Originally Posted by Annibelle View Post
    I think reds and browns look fine on Asian hair, and they can look very pretty! I love the third photo. But I definitely prefer black. And since you live in Texas (instead of an Asian country), you'll still stand out quite a bit, maybe even more, for having smooth black hair! I'm the sort of person who thinks that almost everyone looks best with their natural color, though. (There are exceptions, though... but not many. )
    I guess as an Asian I kind of stick out but there are so many hispanic women here with beautiful shiny black hair! I do think it's very beautiful on them and I don't really mind blending in. I think I prefer black too.

Quote Originally Posted by xoerincolleen View Post
    I think the reddish/light brown hair is really pretty, but I LOVE the natural jet-black, shiny hair! Like other posters said, it's so different from what my hair looks like, I think it is so gorgeous and exotic-looking. I have light brown, slightly wavy hair and it just doesn't get that glossy shine that Asian hair has.
    I never really thought about it that way. My Mom has dark blonde wavy hair so I think never realized how different the two hair types really are. I always loved my Mom's hair!

Quote Originally Posted by LaceyNg View Post
    i like both equally, as they each have someting to offer

when its black, i think the contrast between the pale skin and super dark, shiny hair is gorgeous!

BUT, i also LOVE an "unnatural" color on Asian hair, b/c i like the drama it gives. and i think most Asian skintones (and the brown eyes too) really compliment a honey or reddish color.

even when i've dyed by own hair dark, darker hair just seems to have more shine, so i think a really good moisture treatment is a MUST for anybody at ALL who goes lighter on their hair.

personally, if i were asian (and, oh, how i wish i'd been born one!) i'd go darkest brown (if i wasnt already), and then add in a few hilights and some back lowlights... but not too many of either. that way it'd still be KINDA natural lookin, but not just the same as everybody else
    I do like the idea of highlights. I've never actually gotten them done before. Might be something nice to play around with if I get bored.

I also really like the honey color with an Asian complexion.

Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

I love the light brown or red hair, it looks so pretty.
    buzz - pixie - chin - shoulder - APL -BSL - MBL - waist - hip - tailbone - classic

Type
    1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    I tend to be fond of the near-black to blue-black tones, but then, I tend to think most people look best in their natural color.

I did know a Hmong guy growing up who naturally had hair the color in the first picture. He got teased about it a lot because the other kids thought he dyed it. It was really striking!
    I looove the blue black.
    I knew a Korean girl who was also born with red hair like the first pic. Nobody teased her though, everyone thought she was beautiful. And she was. It was interesting because she had all the physical characteristics of an Asian but with Caucasian coloring.

Quote Originally Posted by xoxophelia View Post
    I'm not as much of a fan of the reddish brown color but that is mainly because a lot of the people who I've seen with it, were doing it to follow a trend instead of doing what looked best for their coloring. To me it seems the reddish colors kind of clash with yellow undertones sometimes where as those with the very fair complexions can pull it off.

You should go with whatever makes you feel most comfortable and also your prettiest.
    I agree that the red looks best with pale skin tones. Especially lighter reds.

Type
    1c/M/ii

battles, I think it's very pretty as well

Type
    1b/F/ii

I think reds are really beautiful on asian women and I also love natural black. I agree with other posters you should do what you like. You could always try red highlights instead of blonde. Whatever you decide, pictures!
    ~Lady Menrva of the Cat-Kept Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights~
    Chin
    ~Shoulder~APL~BSL~MBA~Waist~Tailbone~Classic

Length
    ?/35/40
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

When I was in Japan, I got reallly sick of seeing short curled bleached hair. NOONE had long dark hair, and very few had hair with any shine left after all the heat and backcombing. I do think it can look nice, but I really hate to see it paired with the really intense plastic surgery like nose bridges, or the eye one where they pull down the bottom lid. The girl on the bottom left looks like her eyes were altered a bit too much for me. (like this girl on the bottom right. Wai you ruin your face?)

I think asian hair is at it's most beautiful when it's long, flowing and black! I think hair tends to look best when you work with what you were born with, but there are always exceptions (ericthegreat for one!) But that's just my opinion.

Last edited by Arya; June 16th, 2011 at 09:59 PM.

Length
    1/BSL/clssc

Both ways look really good! It's up to you.