Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Asians and red/light brown hair?

Default Re: Asians and red/light brown hair?

Quote Originally Posted by heartgoesboom View Post

i loved having light hair. it looks nice with my tan skin. i got a lot of compliments on the color... but it was SO damaged. after 5 years of light hair, i dyed my hair back to black and i think i like it better. it's pretty nice to have the hairstylist do my hair and comment on how thick and beautiful it is... rather than a hair stylist saying it's good i'm getting a trim because it's dry, lol. but i don't have the stereotypical silky black asian hair though. oh well!
    I really love your hair here and in your avatar. Are these highlights or an all over dye?

Quote Originally Posted by Katurday View Post
    To be fair, there is a play of cultural imperialism, but a lot of it is misguided or exaggerated. For example, many cultures had the ideal of snowy pale skin (such as Asians) LOOOOOOONG before the white man came into play. Many cultures also would not want to look white at all, but certain white features are seen as unique and ways to stand out. In fact, I've seen fewer white people with the porcelain "ideal" than I have Asians - until most cultures desire freckly and delicate skin, I'm going to doubt its a white thing. Furthermore, what is present in the culture's media is not necessarily the ideal at all - one might point out the large breasts, but as far as I can tell breast augmentation is not being crazily followed and small breasted Japanese girls do just fine in the dating department. I think one should acknowledge that "white beauty" is pretty much a player in the game of things, but also keep a sober mind - the idea that other cultures would give up themselves to be just like white people is a bit absurd, especially when some traits were always there.
    When would you say the white man came to play? And which cultures had the ideal of paler skin before the "white man came to play"?
    I think its important to point out that nobody said Asians or Hispanics or African Americans or Africans want to look white. The media shoves ideals down our throat, and we'd be in denial to pretend that the ideal is not a white person. The irony is, that many of these so called white features are not exclusive to the Caucasian race.
    Last edited by McFearless; June 20th, 2011 at 12:53 PM.

Length
    ??/32/??
    Type
    2a/2b/C/ii

I don't know, I live in the rural south. There have been instances when I have not been considered white enough to date a boy I liked. There was one instance where I look so white, a drunk man pulled a knife on a black man I was sitting with in a restaurant. I am actually a very diluted descendant of tri-racial people. One sister was blond, one was teased and called a Mexican. I was torn between wanting blond children to please my grandparents and wanting more darn color in my kids so they would be free to socialize with anybody, any time, anywhere. I pleased my grandparents but for the sake of my future grandkids, I hope they will choose to have more colorful kids. I refuse to favor lighter or push it or one race or color lighter or darker. But if you want to be considered whiter than you are here, its best to act like you are as white as anybody else and do what white people do. White people buy hair dye, perms, colored contacts, nose jobs, boob jobs and whatever else the self-same media convinces them they want or need or need to want. My grandma showed me I could buy blond hair in a box just like she did when I was seven. I would have been slapped if I asked if I was white enough to get away with using it! lol The rule in my mixed family is act white and demand to be treated like you are and you will be! I've thought about race issues a lot, sometime its best to let a box of hair dye just be a color you can buy if you want it. Sometimes it doesn't mean you want to look whiter, sometimes it just means you wanted to have some fun. I look whiter already, sometimes I'd rather look little stranger because I am. I think much depends on who you are trying to please and what you gain or loose from pleasing one group of people over another and in the end how much of your own pleasure was sacrificed in the process. What does it take to get the job you want? Who do you want to be friends with? Looks can be one part of the puzzle but trust me, they aren't all that's ever gonna be required. We decide who we are based on what we do each day, we can create and recreate ourselves to be what we want to be. I find a lot of freedom in not trying to look natural but it does limit me in some areas.

Type
    1a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Katurday View Post
    To be fair, there is a play of cultural imperialism, but a lot of it is misguided or exaggerated. For example, many cultures had the ideal of snowy pale skin (such as Asians) LOOOOOOONG before the white man came into play.
    This is very true.

I know, at least where I am from (Japan), pale skin has been valued highly for over a thousand years. The first description of beautiful pale skin was mentioned in the book of Nihon shoki written in 720AD long before Japanese saw any white people. We had diplomatic relationship with China back then.

Pale skin Japanese like are not like Caucasian's. It's the smooth pale porcelain like skin without blemish or speckles. Shiseido, Kao, and other cosmetic companies sell tons of lotions and creams for BIHAKU-beautiful white-, which promise you to have porcelain like skin.

As for hair color, it's been quite a long history of admiring long long dark black hair.

Length
    21.5/21.5/32

I love the second and fourth hair color. I think asians look great in browns, light brown, dark (brown or black), and red...but no blondes. It totally washes their skin out.

Length
    19.5/29.50/32
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I adore the black shiny hair that you have naturally. The other colors look nice too but the black is the most stunning.

Length
    Chin/APL+/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

Well I'm asian and I've always loved my way way black hair . The only chemical processing I've ever done to it are highlights, and I immediately missed how it was in only a month. In fact, I'm still growing it out. Highlights don't come off easy on me you know lol. Right now it's off my scalp but tumbling down my length...ew right?
    ~Making mistakes means learning new things~

Length
    3 in/24 in/35 in
    Type
    3c/4a/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Akiko View Post
    This is very true.

I know, at least where I am from (Japan), pale skin has been valued highly for over a thousand years. The first description of beautiful pale skin was mentioned in the book of Nihon shoki written in 720AD long before Japanese saw any white people. We had diplomatic relationship with China back then.

Pale skin Japanese like are not like Caucasian's. It's the smooth pale porcelain like skin without blemish or speckles. Shiseido, Kao, and other cosmetic companies sell tons of lotions and creams for BIHAKU-beautiful white-, which promise you to have porcelain like skin.

As for hair color, it's been quite a long history of admiring long long dark black hair.
    Bleach creams?

Length
    3 in/24 in/35 in
    Type
    3c/4a/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Wheatland View Post
    Because a smiley face is always an appropriate and mature way to disagree with someone.

Uhm maybe because my general reaction to your post was not to smile but to roll my eyes. You asked for opinions, and your getting them. I will leave it as that.

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by |Xei View Post
    I see colour contacts as a form of cosmetic for the eyes. It's like how one would wear different colours of clothing/make up on different days. Changing up one's look with different colours is fun
    I agree.. I have very light blue eyes & want to get violet just to change it up. I love that that's possible!
    Last edited by trolleypup; June 21st, 2011 at 10:04 AM. Reason: fixed bbcode