Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Brush/Comb for VERY thick hair?

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Question Best Brush/Comb for VERY thick hair?

Sorry to post again about brush/combs... But I'm still on the fence about the best one to get. I'm wondering if a horn or bone comb would even make it through my thick hair... Are Mason Pearson combs better for thick hair/easier to handle? I'm currently using a Goody brush... and so far its been the best of anything I've ever had, but the EVIL plastic bristles are all I can think about as I brush my hair now.. LOL

Any tips for the thick haired people???
    Any suggestions welcome!
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

≈ωаѵєs оŋ τнє оcєаŋ≈ xoxophelia's Avatar
    Length
    26"/35"/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Best Brush/Comb for VERY thick hair?

I use a wood comb from the Body Shop as well as a brush sometimes (my hair doesn't tangle badly so combs don't cause much damage for me).

You hair doesn't look so thick that the combs you named should be any issue. What is your hair's circumference though?

A number of people here love the Tangle Teezer but I have no background with that so I can't say how well it would work for moderately thick to thick hair hair.

~~embracing nature's waves~~
    instagram: monophonatic

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

It gets pretty tangly... Thats what I'm worried about, it likes to dread lock itself, which is annoying....

I'm not sure what type my hair is... How do you check that?
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....

≈ωаѵєs оŋ τнє оcєаŋ≈ xoxophelia's Avatar
    Length
    26"/35"/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

If your hair gives you trouble with tangles definitely look into the Tangle Teezer here. There are some threads on it and you can see if it is right for you.

To measure my hair circ. I used a string to wrap around my hair and form a tight ponytail. I marked where the end of the string met back up with the rest of it and then measured the length with a ruler. Mine is between 4.5"-5" so I put my thickness as ii/iii although I am not sure what the rules are. I figured over 5" is a solid iii but it could be less than that as well.

If my hair ever gets tangled I also just brush in sections so that the underside is brushed as much as the top.

~~embracing nature's waves~~
    instagram: monophonatic

Length
    15/31/TBL
    Type
    1a/F/M/iii

I have a Tangel Teezer and I love it so much that I got one for brushing my horses tales wich also dread lock itself. It is the only bursh my DH will use on the horses now.

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Ok, I did it- my ponytail circumference is 5.9.... Thats pretty thick I assume? LOL

Length
    27/42/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I just recently bought myself a brush last week. I have super-thick hair, and it goes through easily. The one thing is that it's a little bit sharp against hte scalp, so if you don't like scalp-scritching, don't get this brush! The price is pretty good though, and you get 2 big paddlebrushes for $20.

http://www.amazon.com/Earth-Therapeu...8247905&sr=1-3

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Amber_Maiden View Post
    Ok, I did it- my ponytail circumference is 5.9.... Thats pretty thick I assume? LOL
    Quite thick.
    i = Less than 2 inch circumference
    ii = 2-4 inch circumference
    iii = More than 4 inch circumference

Mine's on the thinner side of ii so I can't give you great recommendations. Horn and wood combs are nice because they don't get staticky like plastic, and they don't have sharp seams like your average plastic comb. I like the Body Shop wood detangler comb myself. The resin "bone" combs from Hairsense are also quite popular around here, and you can use them in the shower unlike horn and wood.

I find a normal BBB doesn't go through my hair to the scalp very well, so I doubt it would get through yours. If you order an MP, you might want to consider the BBB/nylon blend ones. I've seen a lot of thick-haired folks here preferring them because the nylon allows better penetration to the scalp.
    Last edited by Anje; June 16th, 2011 at 01:38 PM.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

You might also look into picks, or wide-tooth combs with extra-long teeth (like picks but with the handle perpendicular to the teeth). I quite like the pick I got recently, in part because it goes through all my (not so thick, but quite foofy) hair.

Length
    20"/MBL/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Amber_Maiden View Post
    I mean this in the most un-snarky way possible, I truly do, but I would suggest you measure again to double check. Make sure the string, yarn, or whatever you are using is not stretchy - I personally use a shoe lace - and make sure it is pulled tight. I am a 5.9" circumference and when I look at your pics I can see you have thick hair, but I would've guessed it was under 5". Once again, not trying to be snarky in any way, and I do know pictures can be deceiving, but I look at heads of hair all day long, every day at work. I am not trying to downplay your thickness, your hair is lovely, but I just think *maybe* your first measurement was off. It can be tricky ! It doesn't matter if your hair is thicker, thinner, etc..... but it does help to have an accurate knowledge of what your hair is so you can find others here with similar hair. You can slap me with a BB brush with much force if I am wrong

I don't actually brush my hair, so I am no help there. I use a plastic wide toothed detangling comb with a long handle. I bought it at the beauty supply store locally. There is not hair too thick for that thing, it is great. I do own a regular plastic bristle paddle brush, I just never use it.