Thread: Gelatin taken internally- good for hair/skin/nails?

Last of the Brunnen-G kwaniesiam's Avatar
    Length
    bald/mop/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

Default Gelatin taken internally- good for hair/skin/nails?

I've heard mixed reviews about taking gelatin for your hair, some great and some not so. I'm talking about plain old knox gelatin dissolved in some water to drink down, though I don't see how the flavored kind would be any different if you'd prefer to try that. I just want to avoid extra sugar and calories by doing this. Has anyone tried this or been doing it and seeing good results? My skin is always dry and my nails tend to peel easily from thyroid problems so if swigging down a bit of icky tasting unflavored gelatin will help I'm willing to try it. I haven't seen gelatin or collagen capsules the last time I was at a vitamin store but I'm also going to look for those.
    Your neighborhood LHC-friendly hair stylist Anyone is always free to PM me if they have any questions they think I might be able to help with, hair or otherwise!

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: Gelatin taken internally- good for hair/skin/nails?

I've heard this, but I've also heard it's a relatively low-quality protein that's lacking some of the amino acids you need for overall health, so you wouldn't want to rely on it as your sole protein source. (Haven't read anything scientific on it, so what I'm saying is really just me speculating.)

Ultimately, it's a protein supplement. I'd be more inclined to do something like whey protein powder, myself.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Growing by Benign Neglect In2wishin's Avatar
    Length
    15/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Nutritionists, dieticians, etc. are pretty unanimous that the answer is "no". If you google something like "does gelatin help nails" you will get tons of information about it.

Back in the 60's and 70's Knox gelatin advertised that you should take it for strong nails. I remember that there were studies done and none could prove that it helps so Knox stopped.

Unexpected Combination PinkyCat's Avatar
    Under the bed, waiting for dangling ankles...
    Length
    Black/Numbr/One
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

It is an animal bye product - just an over processed animal protein. You may as well just eat meat as it is more "complete".

Lady Roseus
    of the
    Cherry Blossom Hallow in the Order of the Long Haired Knights. >x<)))> veni vidi crepi.

Length
    3"/3.5"/34"
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

According to the Weston Price foundation, gelatin is great for health, but they tend not to promote "pure gelatin", rather making bone broths and stuff which actually extracts the gelatin naturally.

I don't actually do it myself, cause I'm vegetarian . But if I wasn't, I probably would try this!!

Here is an article: http://www.westonaprice.org/food-fea...h-is-beautiful and it actually discusses Knox gelatin and other gelatin supplements.
    Starting over short and working towards virgin hair!

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

I dont know ive heard of it but never tried but lentils definitely do! Ive been trying moong dhal for the last few weeks and my nails have just grown rapidly...hoping it does the same to my hair!
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    APL/APL/trmnl
    Type
    2c/M/ii

your nails and hair aren't made of gelatin, they are made of keratin.

when you eat proteins such as gelatin, beef, or lentils, they are broken up in your stomach into individual amino acids (this is why your stomach is acid inside - to break up proteins). all proteins in all life forms are made of 21 different types of amino acids, the building blocks of our bodies. once broken up, the individual amino acids are absorbed into your body, eventually make it to your fingertips, then the cells in your finger tips put the pieces back together into a keratin protein.

you can get the amino acids you need from beef or lentils. just eat a healthy, balanced diet. there should be no need for gelatin supplements as long as you eat normally. the american institute for cancer research suggests, for protein, eating more legumes and less red meat to reduce cancer risk and heart disease risk.

(isn't it great how chemistry explains everything? )

Length
    13/28/38
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

"Take" gelatin? Why not just enjoy some jello...? But yeah, I've heard about it being good for your joints, but hair and nails? Doesn't make much sense as far as I know.

Length
    21/27.5/39
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Well, according to my mom taking the boxed gelatin (Knox), doesn't do anything.... But making a stock from a chicken or turkey carcass and then drinking that does..... From her own personal experience of course, her and her 6 sisters liked to experiment a lot
    Start 21"---APL 23"---(Current) 26"---BSL 27"---Waist 31"---TB 39" (goal)
    Living it large (well actually kind of small, lol) in Okinawa, Japan.

Length
    19"/28"/50"
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I heard something about it, a few of my friends ate tons of jelly some time ago. But it didn't worked.