Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antifungal cream for hair growth

Length
    BSL/WL!/knee+
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

Default Antifungal cream for hair growth

I've been considering trying Monistat for some time. I've heard great things about how it can speed hair growth. Many say that it's a certain ingredient in it that helps hair grow fast? I don't really care, as long as my hair is growing. The only problem is that I can't really afford it right now, as I'm on a super tight budget.

So I was thinking, is it that particular ingredient that helps hair grow, or is it that the stuff opens hair follicles by killing fungus blocking them, allowing hair to grow. Dollar Tree sells athlete's foot cream for a buck. That's also an antifungal cream. So I'm thinking about starting a little experiment to see if that'll work, too.

Is that dangerous? What do you think of my theory?

Length
    12/22/30
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Default Re: Antifungal cream for hair growth

That's interesting. I don't know the answer myself, but hopefully those who do will be posting!

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

as long as it has miconazole in it, it should work. This being the active ingredient in monistat and daktarin.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    pixie/bob/apl
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

Apparently it's miconazole nitrate in monistat that helps the hair grow
    http://myhairgrowthjournal.tumblr.com/
    Growing out a pixie since August 2010

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

It seems to be associated with the azole group in the active ingredient, if I recall correctly. (Not that all azoles encourage hair growth! Don't read that into this!) People have also reported increased growth from the rather-similar ketoconazole in some shampoos [Piérard-Franchimont, C., De Doncker, P., Cauwenbergh, G. & Piérard, G.E. Ketoconazole shampoo: effect of long-term use in androgenic alopecia. Dermatology (Basel) 196, 474-7 (1998)].
    Last edited by Anje; June 14th, 2011 at 03:36 PM.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

bear of vry little brains x0h_bother's Avatar
    Length
    SL 07/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

In addition to Anje's comment, also studies have shown that pyrithione zinc increases the growing phase of hair.
    To answer your question, I am currently using a "low-cost" version of the athlete's foot creme. My tube says that is has not been shown effective on hair haha! But if you read the MN thread, others have used this cream (2% MN) just fine. Usually the low cost ones have other cheap fillers -mine has mineral oil, jojoba, glycerine, etc. in it. That's one reason to splurge on the more pure stuff. I say go for it, and if you like it buy the more expensive stuff if you have concerns about the fillers.
    growwwwww..

if I tug on my hair, will it grow faster?

Length
    BSL/WL!/knee+
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

Ok, I looked up that athelete's foot cream I found at the Dollar Tree, and found out it contains 1% of clotrimazole. I searched that and it is an active ingredient in some antifungal creams. I also found out one of its less common side effects is excessive hair growth!

I guess there's my answer. I don't think it will help me all that much as the site I found that on specifically said excessive hair growth is a "lesser known side effect." However, I'll go out and buy it, make a little experiment out of it. If it does nothing, I lost a buck rather than almost 20 dollars.

and x0h bother, what are you using?

Length
    Chin/25/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by QueenJoey View Post
    Ok, I looked up that athelete's foot cream I found at the Dollar Tree, and found out it contains 1% of clotrimazole. I searched that and it is an active ingredient in some antifungal creams. I also found out one of its less common side effects is excessive hair growth!

I guess there's my answer. I don't think it will help me all that much as the site I found that on specifically said excessive hair growth is a "lesser known side effect." However, I'll go out and buy it, make a little experiment out of it. If it does nothing, I lost a buck rather than almost 20 dollars.

and x0h bother, what are you using?
    Monistat shouldn't cost $20. I get mine generic from Walgreens that lasts me at least a month when I use it every other day undiluted. It's about $8-9, give or take.

Lady Samhain of the Pumpkin Hollow in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Length
    BSL/WL!/knee+
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by monsterna View Post
    Monistat shouldn't cost $20. I get mine generic from Walgreens that lasts me at least a month when I use it every other day undiluted. It's about $8-9, give or take.
    Ok I'll have make a trip over to Walgreens. I've seen it in CVS, and the cheapest I can get it is 12$. I know it doesn't seem like much, but it's alot when I'm so tight on money. And again, that's the cheapest I can get it at CVS, and it's only 1%. the 7% is about 21$. Thank you for the Walgreens thing, though.

Length
    Chin/25/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by QueenJoey View Post
    Ok I'll have make a trip over to Walgreens. I've seen it in CVS, and the cheapest I can get it is 12$. I know it doesn't seem like much, but it's alot when I'm so tight on money. And again, that's the cheapest I can get it at CVS, and it's only 1%. the 7% is about 21$. Thank you for the Walgreens thing, though.
    Okay, sorry, it's around $10 what I get. It's this right here.

However, I've gotten it on sale or must have because I remember it being more 8-9 dollars. But yeah, it's just 2%. I throw away the applicators and just use it directly from the tube. I probably use about 2 inches give or take on each application. It still lasts for every other day use at least one month.

And I know what it's like when money is tight. $10 is a lot for something you don't need... that could be food money or gas, you know? Do whatever you're comfy with.

Lady Samhain of the Pumpkin Hollow in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights