Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Caught My Hair On Fire!

Sober Lush Extraordinair AnqeIicDemise's Avatar
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

Default I Caught My Hair On Fire!

And I'm so pissed off I'm about to cry.

Long story short, I was getting ready to grill me some dinner but the stupid thing wasn't lighting. I could smell pungent gas but nothing was going on. So... I leaned over to turn off the gas and my boob (Damned things always end up honking the horn, knocking things over and now, pushing the stupid ignitor!) pushed the red button... WHOOSH

My hair caught fire.

If my friend had not taught me to line my grill with tin foil, I would've ended up with a giant flame poofing up skyward and igniting my bunned up hair.

Instead, it spread low, singing my eyebrows, lashes, baby hair along the crown and nape of the neck. I managed to jump back and estinguish what little flame I knew caught on my baby hairs but now....

I got tons of damage.

I was thinking about cutting a fringe to get rid of some of the damage at the front of my head, but the damage is really close to the roots. I'm scared and angry and so frustrated at this point I feel like grabbing the shears and giving myself a buzz cut.

-.-

I'm still at a loss as to what to do. I *do not* want to get a major hair cut. I just got it to get down to my waist!

eye haelp mama kiep londry waerm.
    BSL|WSL | HP | not quite there CL |
    Moonstruck Tresses

Length
    16.5/30/40+!
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Default Re: I Caught My Hair On Fire!

Oh my gosh!! I'm so sorry for you. Fire is one of my biggest hair fears, and sometimes I catch myself being foolish while cooking and it scares the bejeezus out of me. Now's probably a good time to be grateful that it wasn't worse.

Is fire bad for your ends? A hairdresser told me that there's an old technique for trimming split-ends out of layers using a candle and burning the edges. I've wondered since then if a burned off hair end would be bad, and sometimes I've wondered if sealing off the ends with fire might actually help prevent splits. Hmm...

But yeah. That must have been really scary, I'm so sorry it happened to you.

How do you know you have damage?

Yay for blonette!

Length
    HL/38TBL/CLSC?
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

I'm so sorry that happened to you. I'm glad you're okay--you're more important than you hair.

Try not to do anything impulsive...give it a few days at least to fully assess the damage and see if there might be other strategies to address it.

Banned
    Type
    1a/C/iii

Oh dear God I'm so sorry this happened to you. Again this goes without saying but we all just have to be extra cautious around open flame of any sort while grilling or cooking anything. We have to pay extra attention with our bodies and to avoid future accidents.

I don't actually think you need to take the drastic step of cutting any portion of your hair, it doesn't sound like the any significant length was singed. Just oil it and condition it like crazy, baby it and wear it up. The singed baby hair should grow back out quite quickly within the next several weeks or months. Again I'm sorry for your accident, I'm thankful however that you didn't suffer any more serious burns.

Length
    17.5"/APL/APL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

My DH's hair caught fire in February while he was refilling his lighter. To be honest, the ends looked really bad, but it didn't seem to have any real issues otherwise. You can just keep your hair as it is - S&D as and when you are able to, and baby the rest as much as possible.

DH didn't bother much with his burnt ends (mainly on his fringe) and he didn't want to cut his fringe shorter, so he just left the ends alone and was just more vigilant in using conditioner. After 4 months and 2-3 trims later, all the burnt bits were gone. Of course I didn't tell him that I was secretly S&D-ing some of the burnt bits while he was asleep, but what he doesn't know wouldn't hurt him

P.S: His burnt hair bits didn't have damage that travel further up the shaft nor did it deteriorate in condition. The really burnt parts just crumbled to ash and what's left was just a stump on the end of the strand which didn't get worse (nor did it get better). So you can just bun it up and ignore it until your next trim

Length
    17.5"/APL/APL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MeganE View Post

How do you know you have damage?
    For my DH's case, the burnt parts of his black hair turned a lighter color and it looked like bleached hair in really bad condition. Some of the ends were split and some were so burnt that they crumbled into ash when you touch them. Some strands had stumps on them (imagine melted plastic bits).

Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

I know I have damage because when I tried running my hand along the right side, I was left with a huge chunk of it in my hands. I also have white and grey/brown bits all over the front of my hair about inch to inch and a half awya from the roots. -sigh- And the very very tip of my widows peak is gone. Like.. singed right off.

Moonstruck Tresses

Gimmee all the goats!!! GoatLady's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/TBL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

OMG! I feel so bad for you. This gave me a flashback to Jr. High. Smoking in the girls' room. Caught my hair on fire. Had to go get a hair cut before going home that day. Mom commented on how nice my new do looked. The foolishness of youth. LOL

I hope your damage isn't too bad and you are able to save your length.

Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ericthegreat View Post
    Oh dear God I'm so sorry this happened to you. Again this goes without saying but we all just have to be extra cautious around open flame of any sort while grilling or cooking anything. We have to pay extra attention with our bodies and to avoid future accidents.

I don't actually think you need to take the drastic step of cutting any portion of your hair, it doesn't sound like the any significant length was singed. Just oil it and condition it like crazy, baby it and wear it up. The singed baby hair should grow back out quite quickly within the next several weeks or months. Again I'm sorry for your accident, I'm thankful however that you didn't suffer any more serious burns.
    Me neither.

My terrible sun burn made me step back faster than I would have otherwise as my shoulders/face and chest is extremely sensitive to heat. I can't stand hot showers yet.

So as soon as my breast pushed the ignitor, I began to jump back and avoided most of the fire. I have a mini fro at the fringe area so I am afraid to cut it out ..

I'm also glad I have a habit of keeping my hair up and out of the way when I cook; when I stepped into the kitchen to get the marinade ready for the fish I undid my loose braide and decided to do a high chignon instead. I am so glad I did or I'm sure my length would be severely damaged.

Moonstruck Tresses

Length
    23/39/40
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

I was just about to come in here all "Hey, you're not a n00b, you should know better. Keep your hair bunned!!!"

But, dude, your boobies are freaking menaces.
    "But the back seat of the drive-in is so lonely without you"