Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lovely Experience at Salon

Length
    15/14/35
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Arrow Lovely Experience at Salon

I know I vowed to not let scissors touch my hair this year, but I finally got annoyed at my scraggly, uneven V-hemline, thousand-layered bangless hair. I decided to get bangs and to lop my fairytale ends (a good 3-4 inches) and achieve a completely straight and blunt hemline.

By rare happy chance I managed to knock of early at work and so I decided to get a wash and cut (I haven't washed my hair in 3 days as I've been working 3 consecutive full shifts). I went to a neighborhood salon that my mom usually goes and asked for her stylist, but he wasn't in. In fact it was almost near closing and I was the last walk-in customer and there was only 1 stylist around (and about 5 shampoo staff, all busy cleaning the place).

I've never seen this stylist, he was a tall and very dapper-looking man who recently immigrated from Mainland China. He asked me what I wanted and I replied (in my best Mandarin) that I wanted bangs that can be both side-swept and combed forward, and I wanted to trim off my V-hemline to a completely straight hemline.

Usually stylists would try to dissuade me ("Straight one-length? It's so boring, it'll make your hair look so flat, so old-fashioned! I'll give you some layers and your hair will have lots of movement and bounce!") but he simply agreed with a smile. He was still doing another customer's hair, so off I went to get shampooed.

The head massage was divine, especially after 3 days of non-stop work. Plus it was nice to hear the cute shampoo boy gush about how long my hair is, how smooth it was, how incredibly healthy it was for its length etc.

By the time my hair was dried, all the staff, including my shampoo boy, had left the salon and closed the register (I had to pay in advance). Only my stylist and I was left. If I were in his shoes I would've rushed my work so I could go home on time, but no, he was extremely precise in making sure my hemline was completely straight. I would think that it would be quick and easy but it took him about 30 minutes of micro-snipping.

My bangs took even longer because I have a very stubborn part that's been there for years, so he had to constantly comb it out, blow it out in different directions (not much success), but eventually he reached a point where we were both satisfied. My heart ached to see so many months of progress sacrificed and I told him so, but he replied,

"The ends of your hair cannot feel the pain, and it will still grow out eventually."

Except he said it in fluent Mandarin Chinese (with a Beijing accent) so it sounded really sage-like.

We were done at about 9:45 PM and every other shop in the mall had already closed for the night, but he still offered me some tea. I politely declined, as I didn't want to keep him from closing. He saw me all the way to door and bid me good night, and I went home with a happy heart and a thick, straight hemline.

Just for info, I went in with a V-hemline and fairytale ends reaching to BCL and came out with a straight hemline about 2 inches past BSL. It's a good thing that my work requires me to keep my hair in a bun or a French twist, so I won't be able to feel the loss of length so much!
    Goal Length
    15 - 20 - 25 - 30 - 35

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Lovely Experience at Salon

So happy that your salon experience went so well! The stylist sounds like a very nice man, and very professional. Did you take any pictures of the new 'do?
    Your righteousness is like the mountains of God; your judgments are like the great deep; man and beast you save, O LORD. Psalm 36:6

Length
    1"/Chin/?
    Type
    2a/M/iii

It's great to hear about such a positive salon experience. I'm glad it went well.

And you have gorgeous hair!
    My new mini-goal: no bangs! Last trim: January 28, 2012 *Renegray*

Length
    ears/34"/???
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Hooray!

Length
    17.5"/APL/APL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Benign neglect! you'll be so busy at work with your hair up in a bun most of the time that by the time you do decide to let it down, you'll be back where you left off

Congratulations on having a blunt hemline! It'll take me forever to get there so I'm envious update with length shots if you get a chance to, I'd love for some inspiration for days when I get frustrated with my layers

Type
    2b/M/iii

What a lovely story, joiekimochi! Your hair assistant sounds like a real gem! Glad everything turned out so splendidly!!

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by joiekimochi View Post
    I know I vowed to not let scissors touch my hair this year, but I finally got annoyed at my scraggly, uneven V-hemline, thousand-layered bangless hair. I decided to get bangs and to lop my fairytale ends (a good 3-4 inches) and achieve a completely straight and blunt hemline.

By rare happy chance I managed to knock of early at work and so I decided to get a wash and cut (I haven't washed my hair in 3 days as I've been working 3 consecutive full shifts). I went to a neighborhood salon that my mom usually goes and asked for her stylist, but he wasn't in. In fact it was almost near closing and I was the last walk-in customer and there was only 1 stylist around (and about 5 shampoo staff, all busy cleaning the place).

I've never seen this stylist, he was a tall and very dapper-looking man who recently immigrated from Mainland China. He asked me what I wanted and I replied (in my best Mandarin) that I wanted bangs that can be both side-swept and combed forward, and I wanted to trim off my V-hemline to a completely straight hemline.

Usually stylists would try to dissuade me ("Straight one-length? It's so boring, it'll make your hair look so flat, so old-fashioned! I'll give you some layers and your hair will have lots of movement and bounce!") but he simply agreed with a smile. He was still doing another customer's hair, so off I went to get shampooed.

The head massage was divine, especially after 3 days of non-stop work. Plus it was nice to hear the cute shampoo boy gush about how long my hair is, how smooth it was, how incredibly healthy it was for its length etc.

By the time my hair was dried, all the staff, including my shampoo boy, had left the salon and closed the register (I had to pay in advance). Only my stylist and I was left. If I were in his shoes I would've rushed my work so I could go home on time, but no, he was extremely precise in making sure my hemline was completely straight. I would think that it would be quick and easy but it took him about 30 minutes of micro-snipping.

My bangs took even longer because I have a very stubborn part that's been there for years, so he had to constantly comb it out, blow it out in different directions (not much success), but eventually he reached a point where we were both satisfied. My heart ached to see so many months of progress sacrificed and I told him so, but he replied,

"The ends of your hair cannot feel the pain, and it will still grow out eventually."

Except he said it in fluent Mandarin Chinese (with a Beijing accent) so it sounded really sage-like.

We were done at about 9:45 PM and every other shop in the mall had already closed for the night, but he still offered me some tea. I politely declined, as I didn't want to keep him from closing. He saw me all the way to door and bid me good night, and I went home with a happy heart and a thick, straight hemline.

Just for info, I went in with a V-hemline and fairytale ends reaching to BCL and came out with a straight hemline about 2 inches past BSL. It's a good thing that my work requires me to keep my hair in a bun or a French twist, so I won't be able to feel the loss of length so much!
    joiekimochi, this is a lovely experience. Thank you for sharing it with us. And it is very well written and entertaining. You made me smile several times.

Lady Neoma, Defender of Creatures Great and Small

Length
    long/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Sounds like you have found the place to go and the person to see when you need trims and such!

Length
    16"/TBL/TBL
    Type
    1a/M/ii

He's a treasure!
    Lady Rose of the Angels in the Order Of The Long Haired Knights

Length
    -/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii