Thread: sore scalp?

Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Default sore scalp?

Hi to all, I was wondering does anyone get a sore scalp from wearing updos?

I usually wear a cinnabun or a braid because Highschool hair can be annoying and running alot I do not have much styles to work with waist length curls.My hair isn't long enough for a log roll which I am going to try once at TBL. Is it bad to wear the bun (different styles though) on the same part of your head, like the back?
    Lady SpiralSong of the Everwinding Tales in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Type
    2b/M/iii

Default Re: sore scalp?

Quote Originally Posted by longcurlygirl<3 View Post
    Hi to all, I was wondering does anyone get a sore scalp from wearing updos?

I usually wear a cinnabun or a braid because Highschool hair can be annoying and running alot I do not have much styles to work with waist length curls.My hair isn't long enough for a log roll which I am going to try once at TBL. Is it bad to wear the bun (different styles though) on the same part of your head, like the back?
    The soreness might be attributable to the hairs being drawn in a different direction than they are accustomed to.

To protect your delicate hair, it's best to vary hairstyles, including buns, so they are not pinned in the same spot on the back of your head. Depending on how handy you are with your tresses, you might want to do a low Chinese braided bun one day, Heidi braids the next day, a center French braid the day after, a lace french braid the next day..and so forth.

Also, given the thickness of your hair, I think sectioning it when bunning would distribute the weight better and the bun would be more comfortable to wear.

I sometimes get a headache... Not very often. I would usually switch the parts everynow and then because I would get bad pain in that one area for leaving it like that for too long.

Length
    18/Cl/Term
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I get around this problem by switching between different updos, and by making sure I don't pin my hair in the same place everytime.

Length
    JL/SL/TB
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/i/ii

Madora, would you be willing to explain the sectioning trick better? My head hurts whenever I wear it up at all, even if it's just a short while. I think that it would solve the problem even though mine isn't that thick.

Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by pheonixphire View Post
    Madora, would you be willing to explain the sectioning trick better? My head hurts whenever I wear it up at all, even if it's just a short while. I think that it would solve the problem even though mine isn't that thick.
    Yes! Please Madora! I was kind of confused on the sectioning part?
    Lady SpiralSong of the Everwinding Tales in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Type
    2b/M/iii

@Pheonixphire and longcurlygirl<3...

The sectioning method that I referred to:

1) Detangle hair thoroughly
    2) Make a horizontal part from the top of the right ear, around the back of the head, to the top of the left ear

3) Take all the hair ABOVE the part, comb it out, then braid it loosely down to the end and fasten off with a hair friendly elastic

4) Coil the braid in a bun, pinning with hairpins as you go. Tuck the tassle under the bun.

5) Take remaining hair, comb it out gently, braid it, band it, and then wind the braid around the bun in place.

Voila..one double braided bun done via the "sectioning" method.

You can use this method for:

double cinnabuns
    Cameo bun
    double rope braids
    double twisted strand bun

The sectioning helps distribute the weight of your hair comfortably and evenly. You're not glopping everything into one ponytail elastic but sectioning it so that the weight is distributed and its more comfortable to wear for longer period of time.

Hope this helps! ps. I found bunning by sectioning helped place the bun higher up on my head, which I prefer.

If you like lower buns, then just part the hair horizontally from the lower right ear over to the lower left ear.

is a daily washer :D nobeltonya's Avatar
    Length
    10"/36.5"/48"
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

My scalp will be so sore if I wore my hair up all day.. that's why I'll change it at least 3-4 times during the day.. up, down.. I try to wear it down as much as possible, but sometimes if I'm doing something and it's getting in the way, I have to put it up. But not for more than an hour or 2, otherwise I'll start getting a headache. Which is fine with me, b/c I like wearing it down. Although my husband always nags me for it, saying I play with my hair too much..

I have been considering cutting up to waist lately :O It is currently just above TB, b/c I keep trimming it...
    2a/b / M/C / ii. Low porosity.