Thread: Hello from San Francisco

Length
    HL/38TBL/CLSC?
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Default Hello from San Francisco

I just wanted to say hello and tell eveyone how much I appreciate all the good advice. There are so many issues unique to longer hair that I haven't seen addressed anywhere else.

I am so pleased to find a community of other long-haired people...I often feel like an oddball with my length. People do compliment my hair, but on the other hand, especially in the hipster-filled city I live in, I know it's regarded as sort of unsophisticated and backward, old-fashioned--you know. Or, worse, as a simple lack of grooming. Maybe a little freakish.

My hair is hip length and naturally curly, though I'm wearing it straight lately. I was never specifically trying to reach a particular length--as it got longer, as long as it stayed fairly healthy, I just never felt any particular need to cut it. Also, having curly hair, I really appreciate how the length helps weigh it down. I do feel that hip length is my limit though. Any longer than that and it gets in the way/becomes too high maintence for me. So it's been the same length for several years. I secretly like how it makes me feel princessy. Even if it's up and hidden away most of the time, I know it's there!

Anyway, it's in pretty good condition, but I'm interested in learning from you all how I can keep it that way and hopefully improve on it.

I'm also really interested in learning some new styling options. I'm somewhat uncreative in that area and would love some more variety. Even if it's a bun or braid, I can see now that there are a variety of ways to do even that, and I don't think I've enjoyed decorating it with pretty hair toys nearly enough. I'm also interested in alternatives to heat styling.

Well, that's my hair story. Thanks for reading!

Length
    2 1/2/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Default Re: Hello from San Francisco

Welcome! You'll learn lots of helpful things here.

I lived in San Francisco for many years. It's a wonderful city. Just an unsolicited suggestion, but you might want to make a visit to the Haight/Ashbury. There are bound to be some wanna-be hippies around, so you wouldn't be the only long hair.

I'd love to move back to California. My secret dream is to move to Berkely, where I think long gray hair would be more tolerated (plus, it's warmer than SF).
    I've learnt it's better for me to share myself with those who appreciate my values, otherwise I'd be wasting valuable energy on negative people...
    and end up in the psychic vampire drainage system! - Seagreen

Length
    HL/38TBL/CLSC?
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Thanks, Tigr! I think long gray hair would definitely be tolerated, even welcome, in Berkeley. I've never been to Florida, but I imagine the humidity there is tough on your hair.

I should take a stroll down Haight and check out some fellow long hairs. I've noticed some posts about people spotting others with long hair while out in public, and I think this is something I will look for more now.

Length
    hip/hip/hurra
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Hey there! I'm in San Francisco too! (^(oo)^)/"
    I'm a little piggy! (^(oo)^)v

Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Welcome to LHC! You've definitely come to the right place for styling ideas and hair toy enabling.

Community Guidelines
    ~ Contact a Mod
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." ~ Ghostbusters

Length
    HL/38TBL/CLSC?
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by physicschick View Post
    Welcome to LHC! You've definitely come to the right place for styling ideas and hair toy enabling.
    Thank you! I don't even know where to start with the hair toys...but my hair is definitely calling out for at least some subtle decoration. I especially like how a unique toy can make a really nice conversation piece.