Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking I need to Re-Type my hair... Help, Please? (Pic Heavy!)

Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Default Thinking I need to Re-Type my hair... Help, Please? (Pic Heavy!)

I've been giving my hair typing a lot of thought lately and I think I got it wrong! I don't think I qualify as an actual curly, but I have noticed my hair has "curly tendencies." Case in point - bun curls. I see a lot of pics of bun curls and compare to mine, other people's are waves more than curls.

Here's a pic of my hair after dry bunning (yep, no wetness to my hair at all when I put it up that morning):

(I apologize for the blurriness - it was taken with my cell phone.)

Here's a pic of me with damp-bun curls:

(again, sorry for the crappy cell phone pic!)

So this morning, I woke up early and decided to try for a hair type photo-shoot again. The last time I did it, I got bored and fell asleep before my hair was completely dry - whoops!

I clarified with BS and followed with an ACV rinse. I didn't finger comb, comb, brush, tangle teeze (*sob* I wanted to, so, so badly!). Here it is sopping wet, 45 seconds out of the shower (had to use my sons' bathroom, as my mirror was fogged up!)

15 minutes or so into drying time:

About an hour into drying time:

About two hours:

Three hours:

And four hours later, about 98% dry. The only "touching" I did was to tuck my hair behind my ears, because it annoys me when it gets in my face!

So, opinions? Any and all help is gratefully needed and appreciated! My normal routine is CO wash with EVOO and Coconut oil on the ends. I don't use gel, mousse or hairspray, but I'm beginning to think maybe I need to start some of the CG methods of gel/curl creme and plopping??

Length
    HL/38TBL/CLSC?
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Thinking I need to Re-Type my hair... Help, Please? (Pic Heavy!)

It's pretty amazing what your hair does in a bun, but having seen how it looks unmanipulated, I would definitely call it wavy.

I'm curious, once it's dried with the natural waves as show in the last picture, what happens when you comb or brush it? Does it poof, loosen the waves, or?

Length
    Shldr/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I'm pretty new this whole hair typing thing myself, so I"d take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I'd say you're way beyond a 1c into the way 2's. 2b? 2c? I love the bun curls you get! Just gorgeous!

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

I reckon 2a/b. The short layers are throwing me off a bit. It'll be interesting to see how your waves behave if you're going for more length.

Length
    pixie/bsl/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

I'm gravitating towards 2b but also curious to see how it behaves with more length.

The straight part at the top could just be the weight of your hair pulling that part of it straight as it dries ... my hair does that too if I leave it alone after a shower.

Length
    bsl/elbow/n/a
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I'm seeing hints of corkscrews, particularly on the left side. I don't *think* the layers you have are doing your waves any favors. Good layers often help out curly hair, but I'm kind of dubious that this is the best that can be done with what's there. Right now I'm leaning towards 2b/2c due to the hints of corkscrews paired with large S waves. It may be that with curl friendly styling and hair care you're more a 2c/3a and you can get large corkscrews with some large waves.

Definitely not a 1 anything.

Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by C.H. View Post
    It's pretty amazing what your hair does in a bun, but having seen how it looks unmanipulated, I would definitely call it wavy.

I'm curious, once it's dried with the natural waves as show in the last picture, what happens when you comb or brush it? Does it poof, loosen the waves, or?
    It poofs, gets lots of flyaways and the waves almost disappear. I went ahead and took a couple pics of it brushed, but after I put some oil in my hair, so take it as it is!

Quote Originally Posted by GingerSnapO View Post
    I'm pretty new this whole hair typing thing myself, so I"d take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I'd say you're way beyond a 1c into the way 2's. 2b? 2c? I love the bun curls you get! Just gorgeous!
    Thank you! I imagine if I used some kind of styling product, they might even last long enough for me to wear my hair out like that! As it is, between the no product and DS15 & DS12 rushing to play with my hair as soon as it's down, the curls don't stick around for long!

Quote Originally Posted by pepperminttea View Post
    I reckon 2a/b. The short layers are throwing me off a bit. It'll be interesting to see how your waves behave if you're going for more length.
    Quote Originally Posted by torrilin View Post
    I'm seeing hints of corkscrews, particularly on the left side. I don't *think* the layers you have are doing your waves any favors. Good layers often help out curly hair, but I'm kind of dubious that this is the best that can be done with what's there. Right now I'm leaning towards 2b/2c due to the hints of corkscrews paired with large S waves. It may be that with curl friendly styling and hair care you're more a 2c/3a and you can get large corkscrews with some large waves.

Definitely not a 1 anything.

I'm trying to grow the layers out. I had them put in over two years ago, back in the time of SLS Shampoos, coney conditioner and no oil. One of these days, I think I'll actually do some of the CG methods and see how my hair re-acts; it'll be interesting to see what happens. I know my nape hair, which is never put up (cuz they're so short!) are definite corkscrew curls. They make me giggle when I see them!

Length
    HL/38TBL/CLSC?
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

I think it looks nice brushed out!

Lover of Rainbows & Curls Quixii's Avatar
    Length
    0?/knee+/knee
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii/iii

I love your wavey-curls. I'd go with 2b, maybe 2c. (Definitely not 1c!)
    Knee+ length! Lady Gelôs, Keeper of the Silken Aulaeum in the Order of the Long Haired Knights <3

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I'm thinking 2a, possibly 2b.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)