Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair dye without damage (not natural either)

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Hair dye without damage (not natural either)

I want to post this in the hope that it might help some people who are not willing to give up the dye, but don't want damage and don't want to use henna/indigo for various reasons.

There ARE alternatives you can use, some are permanent and some are semi-permanent, that will NOT damage your hair. These are the direct dyes, or non-oxidative dyes and there are many brands out there to try. They are all characterized by the fact that you don't mix them with anything, just apply straight to your head. There is no ammonia or peroxide and they act as a stain which sticks to your hair. Most of the time they gradually wash out leaving no demarcation line. Some of them will stick around longer than others (many factors such as hair's porosity, method of application, dye formulation and chosen shade will determine the longevity).

These dyes are great for people who want to keep dyeing without damage or want to try a different colour in their hair without commitment and the dreaded grow-out.

I have found several brands to list here. Some of them I have personal experience with, others I have read many reviews and researched on the web. I welcome any other brand suggestions to add to the list!

Goldwell Elumen: there is a big thread about this dye here. I have personally used this several times. The first time I used it on blonde hair. I dyed it a bright copper red. The colour was vibrant and covered my grey/silver (of which there is a lot!) 100%. It lasted without fading at all for 2 weeks, after which I removed it with their "return" product. My hair was left in great condition. There is a big range of colours, including vivid shades which you can mix together for more possibilities.

Wella Color Fresh: this range also includes 3 shades of "silver" for toning blonde or silver hair. I currently have one of the toners on order, so I will update after use. Supposed to give great shine and be quite long lasting.

Clairol Beautiful collection: conditioning and shine enhancing. They also have an Advanced Gray Solutions line which is supposed to cover gray hair better and last longer, although there are limited shades in that line.

Clairol Loving Care: May be discontinued, but is a drug store product with a wide range of natural colours - 13 shades in fact. Lasts 6-12 shampoos, but reviews on the time it stays in your hair vary widely.

Clairol Jazzing: similar to the beautiful collection, but the shades seem a bit bolder. I probably wouldn't try it over light blonde or white hair. Would be good for adding depth or reflect to dark hair I think.

Pravana Silk Degrees Botanical hair colour: Pravana say that these last up to 12 shampoos and are great conditioners. There are only 6 shades, but they have "toning" shades included and they can all be mixed. Read more here and here

Pravana Chromasilk Vivids: This comes in 9 BRIGHT shades and is said to be quite permanent....ie it won't fade out of your hair. The silver shade looks really intriguing to me and I'm tempted to try it on the old dyed parts of my hair to make them silver to match my virgin hair!

Sebastian Cellophanes: I had heard that this line was discontinued, but it is still on the Sebastian website so I don't know Anyway, you can still get it on ebay. This product is supposed to overlay a translucent colour (like cellophane does!) on your hair as well as adding condition and much shine. There are 10 shades including a clear one.

Surya henna cream: I've included this product here as it is not really henna, just has a "henna extract" in it and uses direct dyes to colour your hair. This comes in 15 shades including one called "silver fox" which really interests me

Antica Herbavita Vegetal Color: Natural product which comes in a range of natural shades. Does not claim to cover grey, but I have read one review on iherb which said that it did cover all the grey for this one person.

Naturtint Reflex Color Rinse: Comes with a shampoo and a serum in the box too. Is supposed to last for 1 month and cover small amounts of grey hair. 10 natural shades.

Schwarzkopf Live Colour: I'm not sure if this is only in Australia, but I've not found it in other countries I've been to. They only cost about $4 to buy and come in a little sachet. It was the first colour I ever used because Mum wouldn't let me use anything permanent when I was a kid. You stick the colour on your hair, wait, rinse out and then enjoy the results. I found them to be very short lived in the hair and the toner (silver) does a pretty poor job. Still, good for a boring saturday afternoon.

Framesi FramColor Passion: Comes in natural and bright shades. Smells like delicious fruits.

Roux Fanci-full Rinse: very temporary - ie only lasts until next wash. You put it in your hair after you've washed it and leave it in. Natural colours as well as "toners"

Revlon Nutri Color Creme: A conditioning treatment with pigment to refresh coloured hair. Not sure if it would work on virgin hair, but am willing to play

Color Mousses

These are the easy to use colors in mousse form. Don't last very long at all in my experience. I have personally used Schwarzkopf and Goldwell as toners. You need to leave them in a long time and apply heat to get some more permanence out of them, even so they only last a week at best.
    • Schwarzkopf Igora
    • Goldwell Colorance Color mousse
    • Loreal Color Pulse

Semi permanent BRIGHT colours:
    Putting these under a seperate heading. Elumen and Pravana also have bright shades, but I listed them above as they are more permanent. The following are definitely temporary*:
    • Manic Panic
    • Stargazer
    • La Riche Directions
    • Punky by Jerome Russell
    • Special Effects
    • Paul Mitchell Inkworks

*OK, maybe they're not all temporary! Some of these (especially Atomic Pink in the Special Effects line) have been reported to be pretty permanent.

Hopefully these products will be helpful for people who are looking for this sort of solution! Just google and look for reviews to help you before you buy. Have fun
    Last edited by Rini; November 11th, 2013 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Adding more products to the list!!

LHC member for 17 years and ALWAYS learning!.....♥ Currently growing out silver again

Length
    pixie/pixie/44
    Type
    1a/F/iii

Default Re: Hair dye without damage (not natural either)

L'Oreal Color Pulse Mousse is great too But they appear to have discontinued the line. However, you can still get them on Amazon.

I'll also second the Clairol Beautiful Collection. I use it on my parents hair.
    after henna, no 'cones, no sulfates, my hair no longer tries to strangle me in my sleep. I guess we can be friends now.
    Google+

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

burns erin: thanks for the suggestion! Can you tell me a bit about the color Pulse mousse? ie, your experience with it?

LHC member for 17 years and ALWAYS learning!.....♥ Currently growing out silver again

Length
    short/knee/knee
    Type
    1c/M/ii

This is nice of you to gather all this in one place!

What about the more temporary colors? Do you want folks to add their experiences to this thread too? Or is this for the permanent, demi and semi's only?

Maybe the Manic Panic and other vegetable dye users will stop by and add their suggestions to the list.

I haven't used any of those in ages though, but figured I'd throw in a mention of them.

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

For sure Gabriel! I was thinking that Manic Panic, Stargazer and such should be included too as they serve a similar role as Pravana Vivids and I have that listed (although the PV is permanent). I would love to hear experiences or any info about them. I'll add them to the first post based on responses. Thanks

I think it is useful to have them all in one place as I had a really hard time finding TRUE semi permanent colours (ie not colours that say they are semi and then you have to mix it with a developer anyway!!).

I welcome suggestions and experiences with said product suggestions

Length
    2''/APL/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

There is also La Riche Directions. I tried it a week ago. I made a small streak to test the colour. I left it in for three hours. It's funny how it doesn't smell at all. I liked the colour. It just washed away quickly because my hair is virgin and very slippery but it's still fun to experiment. I don't want to damage my hair or have a permanent colour. I just grew out henna and permanent dye so I am very careful.
    1b/F/ii
    Started from a very short pixie at April 2011

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Thanks Neneka. I edited the first post to include the "bright" ranges separately too!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Under brights along with Manic Panic would be the Punky by Jerome Russell brand. It lasts much longer than Manic Panic in my experience but does gradually fade away. I would classify it as "conditioning" instead of "damaging".

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Thanks spidermom!! Added to list (and may I say how nice it looks in your hair too)

Can't keep away, it seems Unofficial_Rose's Avatar
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Would like to say I found Manic Panic in Vampire Red so hard to get out that I resorted to colour remover (ColourB4 - UK version of Colorfix).

This may please some people though. Lie-Locks (purple) disappears off bleached hair rather quickly though. So permanency seems to depend on shade chosen.