Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching it up every so often

Length
    Pixie/Pixie/?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

Default Switching it up every so often

I had heard that switching up your shampoo and conditioner every couple of months is good for your hair. Did I hear wrong? or Is this correct? and how would it be good for your hair?

玲弁花

Length
    Pixie/Pixie/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Switching it up every so often

I switch up at least once a week! It seems that if I use the same shampoo/conditioner for more than a week, my hair gets dried out and dull. The day I switch, it feels so much better.

A lot of times I use 2 or 3 different kinds in one week. (I wash/condition every day.)

Needless to say, my shower stall looks like a beauty supply store!

Length
    APL/BSL/WL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I also read somewhere that hair is dead and there is no need for switching since it won't get use to anything.

I don't know what to believe anymore!

Length
    17/45"/??
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I've always randomly switched up products. I think this was the reason I never got buildup back when I used cones. Actually, I think I would start to get build up, it didn't feel 'right' so I'd use a different one next time, which solved the problem. I accidentally clarified by changing things up.

I don't think your hair can get "used" to anything, but on different days your hair might need different things. Who knows. I've experienced conditioners that stopped working as well after a while.

Length
    12/25/35
    Type
    2a/M/i/ii

I just keep going with a routine until it stops working.

I used to use herbal essences shampoo and conditioner for months then my hair would feel dried out and tangly so I would change to Sunsilk, or something that smelled nice then go back to herbal essences when that ran out and my hair would be fine again. This was many years ago but occassionally I still have problems with herbal essences not working and I don't use it as frequently anymore.

I'm not sure if hair can build up a resistence to something or if it is just build-up but with all the things on LHC you try to see what works for you, you'll always be changing your routine and products up anyway.
    Last edited by KittyLost; May 25th, 2011 at 02:58 PM.
    Chin - Shoulder - APL - BSL - Waist - Hip - Tailbone
    - No Heat - Veggie Dyes - No Cuts -

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I'm under the impression that a lot of this is good to combat buildup. Some products build up more than others, and often they'll have different ingredients that build up, so one goes away and another gradually increases.

Even if you've got the whole buildup cycle figured out, there are lots of folks who find they need occasional additional cleansing or conditioning or such for hair and scalp health, but that overdoing it isnt' optimal.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    Pixie/Pixie/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

It's true, your hair might be "dead" but there are plenty of things that affect how it looks!

The cuticle still opens and closes and the ends can get split, it can get dry, build up, etc., etc. So, I would not be inclined to believe that it doesn't matter.

Also, things like humidity, diet, wear & tear, etc. definitely affect your hair's appearance on any given day.

Otherwise, if it didn't matter what we washed it/conditioned it with, this forum would be pretty obsolete!

Length
    Short/IDK/Hip
    Type
    4b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    I'm under the impression that a lot of this is good to combat buildup. Some products build up more than others, and often they'll have different ingredients that build up, so one goes away and another gradually increases.

Even if you've got the whole buildup cycle figured out, there are lots of folks who find they need occasional additional cleansing or conditioning or such for hair and scalp health, but that overdoing it isnt' optimal.
    Yep. Even though I'm a recovering PJ, I still pretty much use the same products all the time. If a particular product set "stops working", that just means its time for me to clarify.

I do do extra deep conditioning or protein treatments if I'm doing extensions or using heat, but constantly changing products will lead to setbacks more than help.
    IMHO, one can never have too much conditioner. ~Proverb from a PJ~
    Lady Bey of Twilight Cloud in the Order of the LongHaired Knights

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

I swap around as I seriously must have 20 bottles of partly used shampoo and the same with conditioner and dont even mention oils but its just about variety for me, i like to collect nice smelling stuff! but really theres no reason to keep swapping, if your hair feels dull clarify it!

So really all you need is 1 shampoo, 1 conditioner and a clarifying shampoo!
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip