Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "gross" feeling hair

Default "gross" feeling hair

I know that title is weird.
    But that's how I feel. If I don't wash my hair for a day, or not good enough, my hair feels oily,a little itchy and looks greasy.
    My mom keeps saying I don't have a issue and her hair was like that when she was my age. But I feel gross all the time. It don't help I touch my hair a lot when I feel like this. Right now I use stuff from my salon. It is called biolace. I cut my hair a little back in march hoping I would fix the problem but it don't help I want to grow my hair out again but hate this feeling. It could be that I live in Utah...but I am not sure.

Length
    Pixie/Waist/35"?
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Default Re: "gross" feeling hair

I have a wicked oily scalp too. Wash every day! Just use really gentle shampoos, my favorite gentle shampoo is SLS free and organic and is from Essential Oils, it's called Rosemary and Mint volumizing shampoo. Don't condition your scalp only the ends. I only comb mine with a wide-tooth comb when I have leave-in applied and my hair is wet. Then I don't touch it. If I touch my hair with my hands when dry the same day my head will be dosed in sebum I hope this helped and other people can help more.

Try a dry shampoo! You spray it onto your greasy roots, wait a minute, then rub or brush it through and it 'dries' out the greasies. You can get similar results with rubbing baby powder onto your roots, that's what I originally did.
    _1b / F / i/ii__... Forever Growing _
    Chin SHL APL BSL Waist Hip BCL

Length
    23/39/40
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Maybe it's build-up. You could try clarifying your hair.
    "But the back seat of the drive-in is so lonely without you"

Length
    11/27/30
    Type
    2b/F/iii

I second the clarifying suggestion. Also, sometimes it takes several weeks to adjust to less washing.

I used to really need to wash mine daily, (my second-day hair was NOT good!) but gradually I've cut down to every three/four days and honestly I could probably go longer. Now second-day hair is my best.

Don't know how long your hair is, but one thing that I think helped me stretch washes was just getting more length. When my hair was pretty short, I think part of the problem was that there was nowhere to distribute the excess oil TO! Another thing was switching to an SLS-free shampoo.

That said, there are lots of daily washers out there with fabulous hair, so if stretching washes turns out not to be for you, it's not the end of the world, either.

Length
    S/BSL/Hips
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

You havnt said how old you are, but by indicating that your mum said "at your age" I'm guessing a teenager or early 20's.(forgive me if I'm wrong). I didnt stop producing a heavily oily scalp until I was about 18 and I had finished puberty. Oily scalp is hormonal as well.
    grow hair grow!

follow my blog here

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Get an empty squirt bottle. Either save a shampoo or conditioner bottle when it is emptied or buy a squirt bottle like they sell for ketchup at the store. Put about 1/2 cup of warm water in there, then add your usual amount of shampoo. Shake well and squirt it all over your scalp. You can actually put the nozzle right at your scalp and run it in lines until you've covered your entire scalp. Then use a shower comb or your fingers to rub the solution over your scalp in one direction only, the same direction that your hair is lying, like you're finger combing. When you know you've washed your entire scalp, rinse. When you rinse, the suds running through the hair will clean it.

My niece used to have difficulty getting shampoo over her entire scalp, so the very top would be clean and the rest of her scalp would be oily. This technique solved the problem.

Try to do this no more often than every other day. On the day between you can comb/brush to move the oiliness down your hair and wear it in a bun or braid.

Oh, and very important - be sure to clean your comb and brush at least once a month or even every time you wash your hair. If your comb or brush is dirty, your hair will be, too.
    Last edited by spidermom; May 23rd, 2011 at 03:30 PM.

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Welcome!

My hair feels dirty when I have 'cone build up from my conditioner, took me years to realise colouring it makes it feel clean because it is clarifying! I do also get oily roots which I use Batiste dry shampoo on, but since I have been washing in cooler water and stopped using harsh sulphate-shampoo seems to be less oily. You might try diluting your current shampoo as that may still clean as well but strip your scalp less. I wash my hair upside down so that I can get to the roots more easily.

Touching your hair or face will definitely spread the oil around so it's best to stop that. Work out when your danger times are (e.g. whilst watching TV, right before bed when you are tired) and plan how to break the habit. For example cover your hair with a scarf, tie your hair up, cover your hands or even sit on them!
    Last edited by Firefox7275; May 23rd, 2011 at 03:37 PM.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

If you have stopped using products it could actually be your natural sebum coating your hair. Spideys suggestion is a good one; she taught me that too and it works! also if that doesnt work it may be build up.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Where can you get dry shampoo? I heard of it but never seen it.
    Um 27 and I had a son. I am not sure if that changed my hair. I never felt this gross when I was younger. I try to wash everyday but still comes back. Thanks for the reply I will have to go down the line and try them all. I don't want to cut my hair again.

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I have to wash every day, or I get itchy, oily scalp!