Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone wrestled with dry straw-like hair after henna?

Length
    18"/36"/37"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Cool Has anyone wrestled with dry straw-like hair after henna?

Still doing some research on henna and henna gloss so I can be prepared if I decide to try it. I've come across statements (not necessarily here) about this treatment causing dry straw-like (crunchy) hard to comb hair. Have you experienced this and how have you dealt with it?
    New Blog 'Pinned Upsweeps' for my fine/thinnish/slippery updo problems

Length
    pixie/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

Default Re: Has anyone wrestled with dry straw-like hair after henna?

yes, I had it last time! Normally I use some conditioner/yoghurt in my mix though (so it would be more of a gloss) and then it's just fine It actually gets very soft that way, I think it's about what you put in the mix

pixie. bob. chin length. shoulder. collarbone. APL. BSL. Waist?
    My hair journal! & My portfolio

Yes. Henna can temporarily dry your hair out. I do a coupld of deep treatments in advance to combat the dryness and lightly apply coconut oil before the henna. My hair no longer gets dry.

Length
    APL/Clsc/Clsc
    Type
    1b/F/ii

My scalp tends to become very dry after hennaing - it doesn't last long, fortunately, and putting a tiny amount of oil on it tends to relive the slight itch I usually get. It fortunately doesn't dry out the length, but then I only put full-strength henna on the roots and do a henna gloss on the rest. But the drying-out effect can be a problem for some.
    Lady Northern Lights, Keeper of the Gates of Dawn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Account Closed by Member Request

It's important to remember that henna is a protein treatment, NOT a moisturizing treatment.

if your hair is dry, crunchy, hard to comb, etc. this is removal error.

I henna. and when I henna I also buy a full bottle of cheap conditioner, like suave or white rain. I am expecting to use the entire bottle on my head while removing the henna. I rinse my hair as much as i can, and then glop on a ton of conditioner and gently massage it through my hair, rinse that out, and repeat what is essentially my CO wash routine over and over until the bottle's all used up.

the first time I did henna i didn't realize how much it coated and I had the same problems. but adding a bottle of cheap conditioner to the removal process has improved things dramatically.

Length
    3 in./BSL/TLB
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

I get this. The worst of it is the first few days after I henna because no matter how much I rinse there's always residue for about a week afterwards. The best solution I found was to do an SMT afterwards.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Yes! Henna made my hair feel TERRIBLE. Plus the color was ugly on me. What did I do about it? Swore off henna and never touched the stuff again. My hair felt better by 2-3 weeks after using it, thank goodness!

Length
    Pixie/knee/???
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

I don't henna, but I have been using cassia obovata pretty regularly this year, and I find that I'm happier with the results if: A) I use a cheap-o conditioner in my hair as I rinse out the cassia, because it seems to help remove any residue from my scalp, better than rinsing with water alone and B) I do a moisturizing conditioning treatment immediately after removing the cassia (I just put some heavy moisturizing conditioner in my hair, in a plastic cap and let it sit a while.). These two things seem to prevent any problems.

I use the Cure Care conditioner from Sally's. Cheap, effective, and it doesn't leave a lingering odor in my hair.

Length
    Chin/APL/BSL/W
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Well first things first. Do not use lemon juice. So many people will tell you to put lemon juice in your henna and then complain that their hair is dried out. I use chamomile tea to get that little bit of acidity in my henna, but I have hennaed with water only and had fine results.

For myself, I find that my hair is a little dry right after I henna, but I attribute that to the major clarifying wash I do just prior to the henna more than to the henna itself. But in a way, it works out because you're not supposed to wash your hair for a week after hennaing (to preserve the color), so during the week, your natural sebum get combed onto your hairs and it looks and feels fine. I just hennaed today and after I wash for the first time, I'm going to put some camellia oil on my ends.

I only have good things to say about henna.
    Lady Scarlet of the Whispering Philosophes in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    short/41/45"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

i always deep condition after henna.. also i find my hair prefers to have the henna mermaid soaked out in the tub rather than spending 2 hours with the shower-head. really mermaid soaking is the only way to really get all of it out.. actually i mermaid soak then rinse with the showerhead.. then i deep condition with whatever conditioner i have on hand.. then, what i like to do is use some coconut oil as a leave in.

i also mix in a tablespoon of vo5 conditioner in my henna, this allows it to wash out easily and thoroughly

i should also say that i do use vinegar in my henna.. it makes it so my hair is shinier, and it only takes me 30 minutes to henna my hair with it.
    can i call this classic length