Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair Color Stereotypes

Length
    2"/27"/40"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

Default Hair Color Stereotypes

First and foremost, this thread isn't meant to be insulting or offensive to anyone so please don't take it that way! This is just a silly thread and I thought it would be fun to share experiences and opinions about hair stereotypes.

Of course we all know that stereotypes aren't always true.. but sometimes they come pretty close! I thought it would be fun to list some of the common stereotypes for different hair colors and share our personal experiences with those stereotypes. For the purposes of this thread, use your natural color when referring to if you fit a stereotype or not. However if you dye your hair and feel that the stereotype for that hair color fits you, then share that as well! Also, do you know other people who fit or don't fit these stereotypes? Share away!

Blondes: Blondes are usually stereotyped as dumb, ditzy, superficial, playful, airheads, more fun, popular, and beautiful.

Most of the blondes I know don't fit the negative stereotypes.. I have never known a dumb blonde. However, most of the blondes I know are attractive people, are very playful and fun, and attract a lot of attention. Most of the blondes I have met were really outgoing and happy people.

Redheads: Redheads are usually stereotyped as having a temper, being rash, dramatic, strange or weird, and in-your-face.

I'm a natural redhead and I definitely think I fit some of these stereotypes. I have a bad temper when I finally go off, I can be pretty dramatic and stress out over things easily, and I definitely have a bunch of weird things about my personality and hobbies. I am also a pretty straightforward person and don't sugarcoat things and am pretty blunt. My dad and grandpa are also redheads, and I have about 20 other redheads in my life that are friends or acquaintances. Every redhead I know has a bad temper, and every redhead I know has a weird or eccentric quirkiness about them. My mom always tells me that redheads are from another planet.. In my experience there is some weird sort of understanding between natural redheads.. like a secret brotherhood or some kind of mutual respect.

Brunettes: Brunettes are usually stereotyped as being intelligent, plain, boring, shy, nerdy, and average.

Most of the brunettes I know are very intelligent and quiet, but none of them are boring or plain! I can only recall 1 or 2 ditsy brunettes that I have met. My wonderful boyfriend is a brunette and fits some of these stereotypes.. he is a bit of a nerd even though he likes to do bodybuilding, he is super intelligent, and he is shy at times. I think this hair color is really hard to stereotype though just because it is one of the most common colors, and holds the most room for diversity for that reason.

Black Haired People (Noirs? Blackheads? Dusklocks? What to call them..): Blackheads (lol not trying to be offensive here, I swear) are usually stereotyped as exotic, independent and strong, bombshells, sexy, mysterious, and enchanting.

I don't know many black haired people besides my mom. My mom was definitely sexy in her day, and she has always been really independent and outspoken, and a strong woman. Most of the black haired people I have seen definitely have that exotic, mysterious vibe going on. This is my favorite hair color and I always think people with jet black hair are so attractive and gorgeous. [I wish I could pull it off ]

What are your experiences? Do you fit your hair color stereotype?

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Hair Color Stereotypes

My natural color is a very ashy, dark blonde. So it is not light blonde (a la the dumb blonde stereotype), and it is not brunette. I don't think there are any stereotypes for it!

I do highlights and a bit of lightening allover, which gets my hair further into the blonde category. I have a very silly side, and I enjoy fashion, but I don't fit the stereotype other than that. I am about as far from "popular" or "superficial" as you can get :P

My favorite natural haircolor is red, which might make sense because I identify with being quirky
    Your righteousness is like the mountains of God; your judgments are like the great deep; man and beast you save, O LORD. Psalm 36:6

busy beegan ~ ( , ) ~ Annibelle's Avatar
    Length
    WL/APL/HL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Blondes: I really only know one, and she is ditzy, bubbly, sweet, and cute. She's not superficial and she's not dumb, but if you didn't know her, you'd probably think she's dumb...

Redheads: Again, I only know one, and she's DEFINITELY weird but she doesn't have a temper AT ALL. She'll let you walk all over her. But she's certainly one of the strangest people I've ever known... hehe. I wonder if there should be different classifications of redheads? She's the type with very thick, loosely curled dark red hair.

Brunettes: That'd be me and my DH! I guess we fit the stereotype exactly... hehe. We're both teachers, which are stereotypically all of those qualities... "intelligent, plain, boring, shy, nerdy, and average."

The only dusklocks I've ever known (I like that term!) were 1.) a very quiet, chubby Chinese girl and 2.) an Indian girl who is kind of pretty but VERY full of herself. Neither really fit their stereotype at all...

Length
    Pixie/Pixie/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

My natural color is "mousy brown".

I do consider myself somewhat intelligent and I think I am "average". OK, I will even own up to the "nerdy"!

However, I don't think anyone who knows me would ever consider me plain, boring or shy. Quite the opposite, actually!

Length
    11/27/30
    Type
    2b/F/iii

I think being blond forces you to be more extroverted than you might be otherwise. There is no hiding in plain sight, no flying under the radar.

And everyone remembers you. This is both good and bad.

I really am sort of ditzy, though. Fortunately my children have thus far survived my absent-minded style of mothering. Hardy critters.

Length
    bsl/chin/tlb
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

I'm a natural red head and I get a lot of those stereotypes. I have two blond sisters (who are both very ditzy and fit the stereotype well) and a brunette sister and I'm considered the bombshell of the four of us by most of our family. I guess I'm also pretty peculiar, I love old movies and old music like 1920's-early 1960's and I'm very domestic. I cook, clean, sew, crochet, you name it. I Those are pretty odd qualities in your modern day 19 year old. Oh and I definitely have the stereotypical "fiery temper"

Length
    27BSL/40/knee
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

I am naturally blond, always have been. I'm quiet, shy and awkward in social situations. I'm pretty intelligent and a little on the nerdy side. Basically, I fit the Brunette stereotype to a T. However, if I do something "dumb" or "ditzy" then I will laugh and blame it on my hair, as a joke. I have gotten pretty good at flying under the radar though, despite having hair that, admittedly, does attract more attention.

My two closest friends where I live now (haven't been here very long, not good at meeting new people/making friends) are a redhead and a brunette. The red-head is quiet and pretty shy, very nervous about making a good impression, but once she gets comfortable with you, she definitely has a quirky and crazy side, but it's on a much more subdued level.I haven't seen her temper show, but I suppose there's a possibility of it being there. My brunette friend is very out-going, loud, funny and more than a little crazy. You can recognize her laugh from across a parking lot, and you hear it a lot.

On the other hand, my boss is a natural red-head and fits every stereotype, proudly. She's absolutely insane, has a horrible temper, very in-your-face, rash, outgoing, etc. She claims her hair as an excuse for her behavior quite frequently. There's another girl that I work with that I'm sort of casual friends with who is platinum blond and fits every stereotype. She's ditzy and not incredibly smart, she loves to go out and party and loves attention. She's a shameless flirt and just overall loves to have a good time. She's a really nice person and I enjoy spending time with her, she's just... exhausting.

So, basically I can think of people who fit and don't fit every stereotype :-P

Lady Elphame of the New Snow Steed in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    18/Waist/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

You forgot silver-hairs! Yes, it's a natural color. People either think it's frumpy, old, and forgetful (why did you forget to color your hair?) or shiny, sexy, and sleek, or magical and other-worldly.

I've been just about all over. I spent early childhood as a blonde (which did not make me outgoing in the slightest), turned into a brunette (which stereotypically would probably fit me best), darkened so much it was almost black, and then started sprouting silver when I was just barely out of the teens. And the brown lightened a bit again.

Now I'm striped. I think my hair is bi-polar. I feel like that sometimes too.
    Renegray all the way!
    "So brave is the moon, confronting so great a darkness with so small a face" --Elizabeth Goudge

Length
    hip/hip/hurra
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Yup, I pretty much fit the stereotype for dark hair (^(oo)^)
    I'm a little piggy! (^(oo)^)v

Length
    15/36/45?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

The other blond stereo type is the ice queen. Calculating, beautiful and just plain ol' mean hearted. Sharon Stone's characters come to mind.

The other red head stereo type is the sexually.... shall we say, adventurous? I was driving to work one day and the DJ had a poll going.... "Redheads are mostly likely to _____ in a car?" Let's just say he couldn't repeat the most popular answer.
    Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
    Eleanor Roosevelt