Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any truth to this?

Length
    25/25/35
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Default Any truth to this?

So, I went to see my hair dresser about a month ago for a tiny trim and a few highlights.. and I mentioned to her that the hair around the front of my hair line where my part is (I've always parted it on the right) was starting to look thinner than the rest of the hair on my scalp.

I'm only 22 years old, so I really doubt I'm going bald, and I live a healthy lifestyle... so why is my hair thinning in that one spot in particular and no where else?!

She told me, that since I ALWAYS part my hair there, it's putting stress on that part of my hair and that's what's making it thin out. Maybe I'm gullible, but ever since she told me that a month ago, I've been parting my hair slightly off center now instead my usual deep-right part.

Do you guys know if she's right?

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Any truth to this?

I dont know if there is any truth in it but my hair is also off centre parted and was a lot thinner here than the rest of my hair. Ive recently cut a fringe/bangs in and its a lot better. Obviously this isnt an option for everybody. Maybe trying to alternate your parting may help.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    pixie/45"/50"
    Type
    2c/F/ii

It could be, I always parted mine in the centre and my widow's peak disappeared. Since the start of 2011 I have been parting it off-centre and using castor oil when I remember to, it has filled in a little bit
    Gentle treatment is the safest bet, and not pulling too tight for updos.
    2c-f-ii ~~@~ 2/47/50 pic taken May 2012
    thebrunette.co.uk

Length
    18/26/?
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I just inspected my head, and noticed that all my hair thickness is in the back of the head. My top, by my part, is also a tad thin. It shouldn't be traction alopecia since you're gentle with it.

Length
    SL/CL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Is it really thinning or does it just look thinner there because that's where it's parted?

Length
    13/28/38
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I part my hair on the left, and it has thinned out on the right.

I posted a question about putting your hair up in the opposite direction causing an issue similar to traction alopecia, and no one seemed to have any issues with that...

It's definitely conventional wisdom on the subject, makes sense to me that anything always done on one side would cause imbalance. One bazaar advantage of my big crazy mop - no part!

Yes! Its called traction alopecia. If you part your hair in the same spot and straighten, curl that section of hair and/or put your hair in tight ponytails or buns that section will be put under a lot of stress. I say that from personal experience and usually that hair never grows back.

busy beegan ~ ( , ) ~ Annibelle's Avatar
    Length
    WL/APL/HL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

I've always been afraid of this, so I try to change up my part every so often. My hair naturally parts in the center, but it doesn't suit my face shape at all, so I almost always part it on the right... but, when I remember, I'll part it on the left after I get out of the shower. No thinning on any of my part areas yet. I'm also 22. Just switch it up once in a while and I think it'll help!

Length
    Chin/Chin/Waist
    Type
    4a/4b/M/C/ii

Lightbulb Re: Any truth to this?

Put shea butter on it (not much!) for 5 months (before sleeping or else).the morning put a sprtiz of water+aloe vera on it. I used to have that on the edges on the back.Now it's the thickest part o.o

oh yes and massage too!