Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kombucha tea for hair growth

Default Re: Kombucha tea for hair growth

I brew my own and it has alot of kick. When I drink store-bought kombucha it doesn't affect me as profoundly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiina View Post
    No, it is not the same. Rooibos is a type of leaf tea. Kombucha is fermented tea.

I would like to try kombucha but I am sure I wouldn't find it where I live. And I am waaaay too cautious to try making my own. +scaredycat...scaredycat...+

ohhh okay! thanx for pointing that out! i need to do a little research i think
    Coney CO Washing. Clarifying and SMT!
    <-----------
    CL SL UBL APL BSL MBL WAIST

actually, kombucha made me lose hair... i didn't know at the time, but apparently I have a yeast allergy, and kombucha is full of yeast. I always wondered why the bridge of my nose swelled when I drank it, and I'd get all stuffy and high feeling. I have heard others say it did wonders for their hair though... not just growth, but also for reversing grey hair. I used to make it for a while, but you can buy GT daves... it gets expensive to buy it though... around 4 to 5 a bottle.

Length
    13/28/38
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

SO wanting to try it.

I'm off to the internet to find out how to.

There's a more popular fermented drink where I live, it's called Kvass and I wonder if this has beneficial effects as well...

Length
    16" ?/30"/thick
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Misti View Post
    I found that kombucha made my scalp happy, but when I tried to use it instead of ACV, it coated my hair and made it pretty unmanageable.
    I rinsed it out with water after using it on my hair. I have a friend who made some that turned out too sour, so she used it for house-cleaning. She ended up with a very sticky floor. So, it's official, folks: kombucha is not a leave in! (but your floor will be clean enough to eat off of by the time you get dried kombucha off of it)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiina View Post

I would like to try kombucha but I am sure I wouldn't find it where I live. And I am waaaay too cautious to try making my own. +scaredycat...scaredycat...+
    If you can get a culture, I will walk you through the process. You can PM pictures of anything that is scary. Actually, kombucha is made in people's kitchens all around the world---maybe someone near you....

Quote Originally Posted by proo View Post
    I brew my own and it has alot of kick. When I drink store-bought kombucha it doesn't affect me as profoundly.
    My kombucha-maker friends and I all agree that home-made tastes better than what you can buy. Hmmmm, i think I am getting thirsty...

Quote Originally Posted by pixistixx View Post
    actually, kombucha made me lose hair... i didn't know at the time, but apparently I have a yeast allergy, and kombucha is full of yeast. I always wondered why the bridge of my nose swelled when I drank it, and I'd get all stuffy and high feeling. I have heard others say it did wonders for their hair though... not just growth, but also for reversing grey hair. I used to make it for a while, but you can buy GT daves... it gets expensive to buy it though... around 4 to 5 a bottle.
    It certainly does sound like you reacted to it! I know someone who reacts to apple cider vinegar, but he has Multiple Chemical Sensitivity. His immune system is screwy from it. The reacting to kombucha has always confused me, because the kombucha culture is a symbiotic culture of beneficial bacteria and yeasts (SCOBY) living in perfect balance. Because of this, the kombucha balances a person's intestinal flora, destroying the harmful organizms and balancing the rest. So, how could it be harmful? My guesses: 1. The body became hypersensitive to certain foods for some reason 2. A problem with leaky gut, perhaps? 3. There are different strains of kombucha--could they be so different? 4. Perhaps an additive to the kombucha was at fault or perhaps the kombucha was not organic. 5. A detox reaction? At any rate, I am sorry you can't drink it.

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

The types I tried over the years were bottled and two different strains of home grown so I am definitely sensitive to something in there. Apparently it is not uncommon for people to have allergic reactions as it is listed as a side effect on WebMD. I think there are also concerns that excessive consumption can lead to acidosis.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleCrowned View Post
    snipped...

It certainly does sound like you reacted to it! I know someone who reacts to apple cider vinegar, but he has Multiple Chemical Sensitivity. His immune system is screwy from it. The reacting to kombucha has always confused me, because the kombucha culture is a symbiotic culture of beneficial bacteria and yeasts (SCOBY) living in perfect balance. Because of this, the kombucha balances a person's intestinal flora, destroying the harmful organizms and balancing the rest. So, how could it be harmful? My guesses: 1. The body became hypersensitive to certain foods for some reason 2. A problem with leaky gut, perhaps? 3. There are different strains of kombucha--could they be so different? 4. Perhaps an additive to the kombucha was at fault or perhaps the kombucha was not organic. 5. A detox reaction? At any rate, I am sorry you can't drink it.
    Change is the only constant.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleCrowned View Post
    I rinsed it out with water after using it on my hair. I have a friend who made some that turned out too sour, so she used it for house-cleaning. She ended up with a very sticky floor. So, it's official, folks: kombucha is not a leave in! (but your floor will be clean enough to eat off of by the time you get dried kombucha off of it)

If you can get a culture, I will walk you through the process. You can PM pictures of anything that is scary. Actually, kombucha is made in people's kitchens all around the world---maybe someone near you....

My kombucha-maker friends and I all agree that home-made tastes better than what you can buy. Hmmmm, i think I am getting thirsty...

yeah.... i get the same issues with wine and raw ACV... it was a bummer because I just thought I was getting that buzzed feeling on it like everyone always talks about.
    I'm pretty familiar with detox reactions, especially having to go through a hardcore heavy metals detox.... major achy joints and flu like symptoms... not fun! Some people break out when drinking it, i think because it tends to be dehydrating. make sure you drink additional water with it, just as you would if you drink tea or caffeinated beverages.

Brewing it is not scary at all once you get the hang of it... just make sure the jars are properly sterilized, and the ph is at a certain acidity level when you first start brewing. (by adding a bit of starter tea in with the scoby) the only issue I had was, that you will start to accrue multiple scobys and soon will have tons of jars brewing in every cabinet. I had to start giving them away to people at the local health shop because I had so many on my hands lol! you tend to become attached to the "babies" and feel guilty for throwing them out. composting might be a good option. I've also heard of them being stretched and used as drum skins, or as facial toner pads

Length
    11"/41/44
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by pixistixx View Post
    yeah.... Brewing it is not scary at all once you get the hang of it... just make sure the jars are properly sterilized, and the ph is at a certain acidity level when you first start brewing. (by adding a bit of starter tea in with the scoby) the only issue I had was, that you will start to accrue multiple scobys and soon will have tons of jars brewing in every cabinet. I had to start giving them away to people at the local health shop because I had so many on my hands lol! you tend to become attached to the "babies" and feel guilty for throwing them out. composting might be a good option. I've also heard of them being stretched and used as drum skins, or as facial toner pads
    We have been brewing our own for years, too -- we give away the scobies we can find homes for and we compost the rest.

And to brew your own, you don't need a "special culture", if you can get a bottle of GT Dave's -- just make up the sweet tea and dump in a bottle of kombucha. It takes a little longer than starting with a scoby, but it works great. (We keep our house very cold in winter and usually have to start fresh in the spring.)

Hair is vitally personal to children. They weep vigorously when it is cut for the first time; no matter how it grows, ~Charles Chaplin

I will eat all your tofu maborosi's Avatar
    Length
    16"/38.5"/55"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirllong View Post
    This is red tea, also called Rooibos. Probably available at your local grocery store.
    Thanks! I like my tea straight, hehe. So I wouldn't have a problem drinking it.

By the way, everyone is mentioning using it as a rinse, but it can help with your hair (and your body?) when you drink it, too, right?

~maborosi~

Length
    16" ?/30"/thick
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirllong View Post
    If you want to start drinking it daily do you need to start out with a small amount? Or does it just have odd effects on a few people? Curious...
    It depends on your state of health. Most people can just drink it, i think.

Quote Originally Posted by Misti View Post
    We have been brewing our own for years, too -- we give away the scobies we can find homes for and we compost the rest.

And to brew your own, you don't need a "special culture", if you can get a bottle of GT Dave's -- just make up the sweet tea and dump in a bottle of kombucha. It takes a little longer than starting with a scoby, but it works great. (We keep our house very cold in winter and usually have to start fresh in the spring.)
    I have a SCOBY brought from Yugoslavia and 2 started from purchased bottles. I can't tell much difference in taste, but they behave differently and the moms seem to look different.

Like you, I give away as many moms as I can. Old moms also make chew toys for pets and I experimented with patching a pair of shoes, making facials....and compost.

Quote Originally Posted by maborosi View Post

By the way, everyone is mentioning using it as a rinse, but it can help with your hair (and your body?) when you drink it, too, right?

~maborosi~
    Quote Originally Posted by maborosi View Post

~maborosi~
    Most of us are drinking it, not rinsing with it. I think it makes some people's hair start to grow because they were lacking in the nutrients or probiotics that it supplies or because the kombucha helped rid them of toxins.

If you do use it as a rinse, you have to rinse it out so that your hair won't be sticky. However, it makes a nice scalp scrub (also to rinse out).