Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you sharpen your hair cutting scissors?

Length
    10 in/TBish/Clsic
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Default How do you sharpen your hair cutting scissors?

I was just wondering if and how you should sharpen scissors. What do you use to sharpen them? I don't plan on trimming soon, but I want to S&D and I really want to take care of my hair.

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: How do you sharpen your hair cutting scissors?

most key cutting places will sharpen scissors for a few quid in the UK. check these places out in the US. I probably sharpen once a year.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    APL/32/idk
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

cutting through some fine-grit sandpaper

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

Knife stores will sharpen blades, and sometimes fabric stores can send them out for sharpening, but it's probably not worth it unless you have pretty decent scissors because of the cost.

ETA: By "pretty decent," I really meant "expensive." Some cheaper scissors can be quite good as long as their blades stay sharp, but you probably wouldn't want to spend $20 or so sharpening a $15 pair of scissors, whereas if you had a $100 pair it would definitely be worthwhile to pay for sharpening.
    Last edited by jeanniet; May 15th, 2011 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Addition

Length
    Pixie/31/36
    Type
    1b/M/C/iii

My dad does mine for me a few times a year, and I think he uses a huge belt sander machine. Whatever it is he uses he gives them back within 5 minutes of taking them!

Length
    .5/4/30
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I haven't sharpened mine yet, but we have one of those rods for sharpening knives, so I might use that. I also have a stone for sharpening daggers, so I could use that too and do it the old fashion way ^_^
    Lady Bellethiel, Sorceress of Endorphins, Seeker of Knowledge|OotLHK|
    ~Shaved~Pixie~Shaggy Mess~Chin~SL~APL~BSL~WL~

Length
    17.5"/APL/APL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Actually the specialized store that I bought mine from said that sharpening isn't really required frequently for scissors that you use for your own trimming because good quality scissors stay sharp for quite a number of cuts. She said that only hairdressers that go through a few customers a day will need to have their scissors sharpened more often. That's what she told me when I asked her for advise on how to look after mine

Length
    pixie/apl/waist
    Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

Depending on how you scissors were sharpened in the first place, it might get difficult to keep it that way. Some people just get new scissors instead.

Length
    18/26/?
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I have Arius Eickert shears, and when their time comes, I'll mail them to their shop for a sharpening. I'm apprehensive to sharpen at home, because the scissor blades have to work in tandem, and you may run the risk of misalignment if they're not sharpened and aligned properly.

You could see what sharpening options your manufacturer suggests. I believe that Tweezerman has a free sharpening option, and others have a mail-in service. I've had my scissors for 4 years now, and they're still sharp as all heck with 4 trims/year.

Length
    28/42.5/???
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Sundial View Post
    Actually the specialized store that I bought mine from said that sharpening isn't really required frequently for scissors that you use for your own trimming because good quality scissors stay sharp for quite a number of cuts. She said that only hairdressers that go through a few customers a day will need to have their scissors sharpened more often. That's what she told me when I asked her for advise on how to look after mine
    That's what I've heard as well. If you only use your scissors to trim your hair once in a while and don't cut anything else with them (which you shouldn't do anyway), they will probably stay sharp for years, depending on how often you trim.
    ...procrastinating the new signature...