Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you do a coconut oil pre-treatment for coloring hair?

Length
    ?/36.5"/44"
    Type
    1a/M/C/ii

Default Re: How do you do a coconut oil pre-treatment for coloring hair?

Thanks celebriangel, you've offered great advice to musicallberry. I hope her experience is good!

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

I hate to re-bring up such an old thread but, I am going to dye my hair darker today, can I apply coconut oil for an hour beforehand even if I clarified three days ago but used product and regular shampoo and conditioner for the days after? (my hair has no product in it now). Does the coconut oil make the dye not take as well?
    Meow to all!!! /\_/\ (=O.O=) (#) (#)

I dye my roots every month. I always use pre-coconut treatment ( actually almost weekly before every wash ) . I simply apply warm coconut oil all over my scalp and hair, massage and let it over night. It has definitely made a difference on how my hair feels after - less damaged, softer and simply better. No, it does not affect in any way the dye intake. Once I used deep oiling 3 nights in a row and still it had nothing to do with the dying .It was before I bleached my hair totally. In contrary, I have the feeling that the color stays a bit longer until it fades.

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

I do a heavy oiling an hour or two before I dye. I just melt the coconut oil in my hands and rub it into my hair looks greasy.
    Change is the only constant.

Length
    Tbl/Apl/Jaw
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

I oil with coconut about 1-2hrs prior to colouring, i put enough on so that it's on the verge of looking greasy but not so bad id be ashamed to leave the house and shock the stylist! Since using coconut oil ive seen no damage at all from bleach, i can definitly tell the exact time i started using coconut from the condition of my hair, i have about 3inches of growth without damage despite not reducing my bleach use. It really saved my hair, can't thank ktani enough i've nev er clarified before colouring, i would always just do a normal shampoo/condition the night before and then apply the coconut oil the morning of my colouring.

Length
    Tbl/Apl/Jaw
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Also you might want to try doing a lemon huice rince after colouring, it will help restore your natural pH and help the colour to last longer

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

I CO my hair to get the excess dye out and always follow with an ACV rinse. It works just as well.

Quote Originally Posted by afu View Post
    Also you might want to try doing a lemon huice rince after colouring, it will help restore your natural pH and help the colour to last longer
    Change is the only constant.

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by afu View Post
    Sadly I already colored and rinsed and washed, I didn't read this soon enough. My hair is alright, a bit greasy from the coconut oil but thats okay, I will wash tommrow night most likely. The dye is perfect, but I fear I have a bit of breakage from the blow drying I was forced to do (time constrants) after dyeing...I used coconut milk and half my normal amount of mousse for blow dry leave in, I'm going to just be extra careful, I know I have a BIT of breakage, hopefully it stops...gosh I feel so bad for my hair (off to sprits water conditioner and aloe into it)
    Meow to all!!! /\_/\ (=O.O=) (#) (#)

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Would aloe vera also be good during the pre-coloring wash or right after the coloring? I am wondering before aloe seems to have very moisturizing and healing properties. But I wonder if anybody tried this?