Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: knee length hair questions

Length
    SL/Knee+/Knee+
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Question knee length hair questions

• How long does it take to brush or comb?
    • How long would it take to brush or comb if you warn it down?
    • How long does it take to wash?
    • Do you CO wash?
    • How often do you wash your hair?
    • How often do you oil your hair?
    • Do you use cones?
    • Any advice or tips to help others get there hair that long?

Length
    0.5/53/60+
    Type
    2a/2b/C/iii

Default Re: knee length hair questions

Less than 5 minutes. 1-2 mins probably.
    Depends how long it had been like it! It a few mins to several hours.
    15-20 mins because when I wash I use deep treatments.
    • Do you CO wash?
    No
    once a week to once every 2 weeks
    2x a day - once at night and once in the morning
    • Do you use cones?
    No
    Ignore it.
    Read LHC

Length
    Chin/TBL/???
    Type
    1c/M/ii

* How long does it take to brush or comb?

1-2 minutes. I comb through the length, then brush the scalp.

* How long would it take to brush or comb if you warn it down?

Depends on a lot. How long was it down? Was I sitting still or running around? Windy? Anywhere from 3-10 minutes.

* How long does it take to wash?

10 minutes.

* Do you CO wash?

Nope.

* How often do you wash your hair?

Twice a week.

* How often do you oil your hair?

Four times, the night before a wash, and right after my wash.

* Do you use cones?

Sometimes, sometimes not.

* Any advice or tips to help others get there hair that long?

Treat it well and have patiences. If you want a thick hemline, you'll have to be willing to trim either on your journey or maintain for a while once you arrive.

ETA: The rest of the questions that have popped up!

How do you position your head when you wash your hair? Upside down, hair off to one side, hair over the shoulders, hair hanging down in back?

When I wet it down or rinse something out, it's straight down my back.
    To put shampoo in, since I only shampoo the scalp, I wrap my length loosely around my neck. That helps keep the shampoo from running down the length, and it also removes the weight of my hair so I can really get in a scrub my scalp without wrenching my hair around.
    To apply conditioner, I pull it all over my left shoulder and apply it.

How do you detangle your hair if it's longer than your arms? Do you pull it to the side/front, or what? Also, is it easy to style?

To detangle, I pull it over my left shoulder and use my left hand to tightly grasp the length around hip level and pull my ends up so I can reach them.

So what do you do with your hair at night, what works the best?

I leave my hair loose at night.

I took a length of silk and attached it to the top of my head board, I draped it down, over my pillow, and tucked it under. I keep the excess tucked in between the pillow and headboard and at night, I pull my hair over my head and lay the length along that little trench. It stays pretty well unless I'm very restless.

I also was wondering what is your most favorite hairstyle to wear most of the time?

When my hair is wet, a simple cinnamon bun, pinned as I coil. When dry, a braided cinna bun, pinned as I coil.

How long have you all been growing your hair &/or how long have you had it at the length it is now?

I've been growing mine about 9 years now. I've been at knee length for 1 year.

Did you grow it with or with out trimming? And has any one else in your family ever had hair that long or longer?

I've trimmed the entire time. I went through a 3 year experiment where I only trimmed once every 12 months, but I was not happy with how my ends ended up, so I went back to trimming 2-3 times per year.

I don't know if mine is the longest, I've seen pictures of great aunts with big buns, and I know my great grandmother had really long hair, but I don't know how long. My grandmother had tailbone length hair for a long time.

What shampoos & conditioners do you guys use for all that beautiful hair?

I do a simple shampoo/condition, though I don't shampoo my length very often.

For shampoo I use Mill Creek Botanical s as it's one of the few shampoos that does not increase my shed rate.

For conditioner, no-cones my favorite is Suave Tropical Coconut. With cones, I haven't decided yet. I'm really enjoying the Garnier Fructis Fortifying Conditioner.

How long does it take to your hair to dry after washing & what is your drying routine?

If I leave it down, maybe 3-4 hours to be completely dry. If I put it up, like I more often do, it will still be quite damp that evening when I take it down, but it's always dry by the next morning.
    Last edited by Stagecoach; September 19th, 2010 at 06:51 AM.

Lady Sunrise of the Prairie

Length
    9/APL/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Those are all great questions, I will be watching this thread with interest

Lets see how long this little lump can get. Viva la natural!
    Lady Nemetona, Adept of the Henna Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Queen of Apathy HairColoredHair's Avatar
    Length
    short/knee/???
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

Less than five minutes. Unless I've done something ridiculous to it.
    Depends. Five-Ten, usually. Unless it was super windy or something. I don't usually wear it down, but that's about how long it took after the ren. fair this year.
    However long I decide to take... I like long showers, but I can get in and out in five minutes if I want to.
    • Do you CO wash?
    No. I have in the past, though.
    Once a week. More often or less often depending on when it needs it.
    Whenever needed. (About every other week.)
    • Do you use cones?
    Generally, no. I might occasionally grab them if I need extra slip, but I've found no-cone is better as I don't get as much build up.
    Um... treat it gently, keep it up as much as possible, the general stuff...
    Fav Products: Honey and Horn Combs! Current Length: Just above knee (a 'little' trim)
    Goal: Uh... Moo!

Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Fethenwen View Post
    Those are all great questions, I will be watching this thread with interest
    Me too because I have always wanted to know if it's possible to detangle so long hair without cones. I see it is! Good to know.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

OK, I've got a weird question...

How do you position your head when you wash your hair? Upside down, hair off to one side, hair over the shoulders, hair hanging down in back?
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    15.5?/Shldr/30-34
    Type
    1b/1c/F/iii

How do you detangle your hair if it's longer than your arms? Do you pull it to the side/front, or what? Also, is it easy to style?
    Fast typer.
    I have fine hair that I'm working on growing long!

--> I don't know ... long, since it's very tangle-prone and thick. 20 minutes to half an hour I'd say. However most of the time I do domething else while I comb, stop, then start again ... then it depends of what I've been doing with it before, like, after two days with the same braid left down, it can be a bit of an ordeal. Also I'm very careful, I tend to undo knots almost hair by hair, it takes time.
      --> I don't want to know ! I never wear my hair down for more than 15 - 30 minutes in a row.
      --> 15 minutes and 10 of them are just waiting. Doing mermaid soaks each time i wash has dramatically reduced my shampooing time, as well as using herbs that rinse much better than chemical stuff - and it it doesn't rinse well, never mind, the remains are combed out later.
    • Do you CO wash?
      --> No, I use herbs + conditioner + vinegar rinse
      --> once a week to once every 2 weeks.
      --> Depends on my mood - could be everyday for a week, or just before shampooing, or sometimes not at all for two weeks if I'm busy.
    • Do you use cones?
      --> No.
      --> Like it has been said : ignore it, it will grow by itself ! And OFC standard LHC advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    OK, I've got a weird question...

--> I sit in the tub, wash my scalp with hair hanging over my left shoulder, then over the right. Then I dip the lengths in a big salad bowl filled with whatever herb I use as a shampoo, diluted so as to cover as much hair as possible. Then I lean back in my bath, and relax ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Fractalsofhair View Post
    --> Comb with hair over left shoulder (or right, when I do it in two servings, half over each shoulder) and hold the lengths over my body with left hand to lift it up high enough, leaning forward at the same time to reach down (if this makes sense !).
    Last edited by slz; September 13th, 2010 at 01:25 PM.

Length
    18/60/72
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Less than 5 minutes usually unless its been in a braid or something like that a few days in a row.
    • How long would it take to brush or comb if you wear it down?
      Probably around 5 minutes, I try and finger comb throughout the day if I'm going to be wearing it down so it doesn't take as long to detangle at the end of the day.
      My showers are usually around 15 minutes long, but I tend to wash my hair and while the conditioner soaks in I wash the rest of me.
    • Do you CO wash?
      No, I CWC.
      It varies, as often as every other day to once a week just depending on how bad my hair is looking at the time.
      When it needs it, usually the couple of days leading up to a wash when I'm stretching out washings and not using cones.
    • Do you use cones?
      I stopped for a while, but my hair was getting really dry, so I've recently switched back.
    • Any advice or tips to help others get their hair that long?
      Just be patient with it. Don't measure it constantly, I actually ended up being surprised that it was knee length since I didn't look at it from the back very often.

My hair is hanging down my back when I rinse and put shampoo in, but I bring it over my shoulder when I put in conditioner and then it goes back behind my back to soak and then to rinse.

I pull my hair over one shoulder, grab midway down the length and detangle the ends then let go and continue up to my scalp and then switch all my hair to the other shoulder and do the same thing, then put it behind my back and smooth out the top. Its usually pretty easy to style, but my hair gets stubborn sometimes and refuses to do certain styles on various days (it used to do this at shorter lengths as well, so its my hair not the length) so if its refusing to do something I generally give up and try something else.