Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My confession....I can't braid!

Length
    Short/BS/CL

Smile Re: My confession....I can't braid!

Awww thanks so much for your encouragement and advice. I'm definitely going to youtube and start learning. I will work string at first or practice on my daughter's hair for hers is straight!

Thanks!

Length
    BSL/TB!!!/Clssc
    Type
    1a/1b/C/ii

Default Re: My confession....I can't braid!

It's been said a hundred time already, but practice really is the key. And Youtube.

Length
    tbl/thigh/thigh
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I did not know how to braid until December 2010...I never learned when I was a child as well. The first thing I did was watch lots of videos of people braiding their hair, then I practiced on my sister, and finally on myself. My braids are not perfect yet, but with a little more practice they hopefully will...

Length
    CBL/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I don't think you are alone Cocoa_Crema. I'm horrible at braiding bu I am desperately trying to learn because of my little girl. Her hair is the longest it's ever been and I would love to style it for her. She's three and I think she would look adorable in some nicely placed braids. So I have been practicing on her when she will sit still long enough lol and I have been watching you tube. Hopefully something will click some day.

I can do a regular 3 strand braid, but I can't do it on myself. I mean, I can do little ones on the sides, but for whatever reason I can't get my hands to translate that to the back of my own hair. The couple of times I've worn a braid down my back for something I've had to plan ahead and have my mom do it. I really should practice more. Plus, I want to learn to french and dutch braid my own hair!!

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    1b/M/ii

dont be sad... you are not the only one, my sister cant make a braid as well

Where people are made in canoes, live in igloos, and ride polar bears to school.
    Length
    Jaw/bra/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

My mom or sister, either. If the string is too hard, I learned by doing it on the back of my own head, and that worked for me. good luck
    Lady Almárëa of the Thrice-Blessed Locks in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    It's all in the teeth of the matter.

Length
    26"/26"/40"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Ditto what everyone else has said. Find yourself a good youtube video and then practice it on whoever whenever you can. Until about six months ago the french braid was beyond my comprehension. Finally I started french braiding my hair every night before bed to sleep in -- that way if it was awful, I wouldn't be out in public for everyone to see. Amazingly, it only took a few times before my braid was presentable and I felt confident enough to wear it out in public. You can do it!

Length
    chin/MBL/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

go check youtube videos, it's the best thing you can do!
    there's almost any hair style you want to do there. I specially love the tutorials of a dutch girl "Loepsie", just search for her name there and you'll find many videos, since the simple ones like 'how to simple braiding', till the more elaborate ones with many many thin braids..
    She speaks in english and explains so well.. and I think she's a member o LHC, actually.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I learned how to french and dutch braid when I was in my 20s from a magazine article. I find curly hair much easier to braid than straight hair, which tends to be slippery and resist being moved from how it normally hangs.

All it will take is learning the basic moves, then practice. Good luck!