Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How can I get tight curls without heat?

Length
    chin/BSL/Floor
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

Default How can I get tight curls without heat?

Ok so I know this is a bit crazy but I just realized how good my hair looks with tight looking wavy to curly hair. I did the whole double french braids to dry thing for Easter and it worked out really well. The only thing is well.. I want more curl now, less wave. Can I accomplish that without heat and chemicals? How?

I once did pin curls and ended up looking like shirley temple. I was going more for something like 3b/3c. Examples: GRU, Sofoulee, Quixii (I know she's a 3a but whatever, I love her hair!!).

Any advice?

Edit: I've also tried sock curls. Didn't work for me plus the result if it had worked would have been big soft waves...
    Last edited by ArienEllariel; April 24th, 2011 at 08:31 PM.

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: How can I get tight curls without heat?

Length
    pixie/TBL/45 in
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

try adding some[not a lot] setting gel or the likes while wet, then air dry and if you have naturally curly hair you should get very defined curls..do not touch or blow dry during air drying or after..if you aren't really naturally curly do the above but put gelled hair up in a top bun or for even tighter curls use a bun on top of head and one lower down-when dry let down..this has worked for me-

Length
    shldr/waist/hip
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Depending on how long your hair goal is, Curformers may work of you. The extra long and wide is optimal for waist length and shorter, but I make do with my hip length hair (I twist the roots and the curlformers start at my ears).

I have very curl resistant hair, and these work better than a hot iron for me.
    01/07/2010, now at waist length (30").
    I'm a work in progress.

Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by soni92 View Post
    That is awesome! Now I have something to do with all those mismatched socks from the wash!

Length
    MBL/TBL/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

If you want them to last, instead of heat or hair spray, you can use a bit of beer. It's confirmed...make curls last and gives shine + I think it's really healthy/good for hair! So cheers

Length
    bob/27.5/38
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

I have heard of people using straws to curl hair with but that will give you the tight kinky curls.

Just wrap the hair around a straw and slip a bobby pin on the side of the straw and make sure the end of the end of the hair is secure. best results come from damp but not dripping hair and left in all day/ night.

or careful rag curls work great.

Length
    15/21/30
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

You can also cut a pillow case in long fabric strips and do rags, they stay in for ages with this method so its good for especially hard to curl hair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxgwbWc5Yiw

The video is a little dark but still gets the method across.

Loved the sock video by the way! I wonder if primark sell blondey coloured socks...? Hehe.

I tried to sock bun curls last night. I really wanted them to stay so I even put some gel in my hair when I wet my hair. This morning I had some curls. Not as dramatic as the video, but pretty good for me. An hour later they were gone, now my hair just has more body. I'm not quite sure where I went wrong. maybe my hair is just not meant to be curly