Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is It Important To Cut Your Hair??

Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Is It Important To Cut Your Hair??

I've heard that it's healthier for your hair to at least get the ends trimmed a few times a year... is this true?? I haven't had my hair cut/trimmed since July 2010 and I'm pretty happy with having the long length, but I feel like my hair grows sooooo slowly and if I trim the ends it's going to set me back again. Any thoughts??

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Is It Important To Cut Your Hair??

It depends on your hair. I have done two experiments of going 1 year without trimming, and both times I had to cut more than the year's growth from the ends, they were in such bad shape. Not only do my hairs split, but the split ends split, and then the ends of the split splits split and ... You see where I'm going with this.

I do much better if I get a small trim about every 3 months. It keeps my ends in good condition so that the damage doesn't spread and cause my ends to break off and go split-crazy.

I know of other people who haven't had a trim in years, however, and their hair is extra-special long and lovely.

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Id love the type of hair i didn't have to trim but my individual hairs are mainly fine and prone to breakage. I tried the no trim and when my hair was short; it was fine, no problem. But on longer hair, especially longer fine hair those ends are nearly 6 years old, they have been brushed, combed, washed heaven knows how much so they are worn; period!

With my hair type, its not just a case of oiling the ends and bunning my hair daily that is needed to protect my hair. My hair breaks regardless, it needs trims. When I don't trim, i break as much as I grow, but when I do trim I do notice an increase of monthly growth. I am not saying cutting encourages growth but it does encourage retainment so to summarize, healthy ends=healthy growth!
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

There's no hard fast rule on how often you should trim your hair. I never trimmed for 4 years because I wanted to grow it out and it grew out fine. The ends are a bit weathered, but I wear my hair down all the time, and to be honest it looks fine. If you feel you don't need a trim, you probably don't.

Length
    Shldr/BSL/Term
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

Basically, pay attention to your hair. If it is good and healthy, no problem. If it's starting to split, cut off the damage.
    I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

Length
    21 in/32 in/40 in
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

From what I've read here at LHC, I think the answer is that it depends on many factors. What type of hair you have, how prone it is to breakage, what kind of ends/hemline you have and what kind you want, and how you take care of your hair will all make a difference. As I understand it, if you start to get split ends, the splits may just go farther and farther up your hair, like a run in a stocking. A trim is supposed to knock out those tiny splits and make your hair stronger in the long run.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

It varies a lot, largely with how split-prone your hair is. And of course, with whether you want thick blunt ends. Go a few years without trimming and you won't have blunt ends, simply because some hairs will grow faster than the others, creating the "fairytale ends" look.

If you don't feel like actually trimming and want the natural unmaintained ends look, you can keep splits at bay with lots of search and destroy to cut off the offenders. Or you can ignore the splits. Some people have luck with this, while others find that the splits multiply.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

It depends on your hair! Personally, I just keep an eye on my hair and trim any splits I find. I get it professionally cut every year/year and a half or so, and always get compliments on its overall health.
    There is no passion to be found in playing small, in settling for a life that is less than what you are capable of living- Nelson Mandela. My blog: http://www.ibleedlipstick.com

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

It depends. I need a trim at least twice a year because, even when I get rid of splits through S&D, my ends eventually get irreversibly dry. So, for me, even without visible damage, I still need a trim. But that's just my hair.

Type
    3a/M/ii

My hair is tough and strong (yet soft) from henna, and I keep it up most of the time and wrapped when I sleep, so I get little damage, consisting mainly of a few hairs tangled at their ends, which I snip off in the shower. I used to do a fair amount of S&D but don't need to anymore. I wouldn't want a trim because my ends are curly, and it would destroy the look. But if you have straight hair that splits easily, you'd probably do better with a trim. Unless you want fairytale ends, in which case S&D would be better.
    Pyerre Mehendi Mage in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    My name is Indigo Montoya. You terped my henna. Prepare to dye!
    Pic by Renarok