Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is It Important To Cut Your Hair??

Length
    SL+/MBL/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Is It Important To Cut Your Hair??

If you have a lot of damage you may find your damage travels up the hair shaft if you leave it unchecked and don't trim. But, if your hair isn't prone to splits or breaking and you like the more natural look then I don't see why it would be any less healthy for your hair to go untrimmed.

That said, too much trimming can prevent growing!

I personally used to believe my hairdresser of years ago who said I'd never achieve my goal of long hair unless I got rid of all the damage and had trims every six weeks. I think I saw her every six weeks for a year and a half. My hair never got any longer and I never achieved that totally split free hair. Once I fell out of the habit of seeing a hairdresser as much all of a sudden my hair was long! And, for the record, I probably have less splits than I did back then. Healthy hair can be about trimming, but for me it has been more about cutting the chemical dye and daily flat iron.

NOw I trim every 3-5 months on average and it's perfect. Any longer than that I find while my hair will still grow it gets very thin at the ends.

Length
    14"/25"/waist
    Type
    2c/M/C/ii

Doing mini micro trims regularly - like every eight weeks - has taken me longer to grow my hair but the ends are nice and thick. When I look back on my hair when I didn't trim, the hemline looked very thin because it was breaking and as Spidermom said I then cut off all the hair that I had grown. I would much prefer to keep on top of the trims and have healthy looking hair - though I know some lucky people have beautiiful hair that isn't split prone.

Length
    APL/26/33+
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I have the same dilemma. My hair grows slowly (gotten slower as I have gotten older it seems) and I feel that although I would like to keep my ends in as good condition as possible I need to gain length! It seems like my hair has been stuck at the same length for years now and I have recently reduced the frequency I trim from about 1cm every 3 months to 1cm every 6 months. I have definitely seen a difference in growth and I haven't compromised the quality of my ends. Which is great I would say take off just a tiny amount only whenever you really feel like you need it. Best of luck to you.

Length
    3"/3.5"/34"
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

I think it's perfectly okay to go longer between trims if your hair is healthy and not prone to splitting. I have gone 16 months without a trim before, and usually wouldn't trim more than twice a year, except when it's badly damaged.

However I don't get splits on healthy hair, and didn't even know what they were until I had over processed hair. Even now, on hair that's been chemically dyed a lot (but not bleached) I still don't split much. If I did, I would definitely trim more!
    Starting over short and working towards virgin hair!

Length
    pixie/TBL/45 in
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

if it's healthy and not too uneven why cut-the more you cut the less it'll seem to grow-at least that's how it is for me..

Length
    Pixie/knee/???
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

My hair seems happy with minimal microtrims. I S&D once in a great while, but honestly tend to forget about it.

I've found that if my hair is tanglier than usual, a bit of S&D and occasional use of a chelating shampoo can help get things back on track.

Type
    1a/F/ii

great advice!! thanks everyone

Longest I ever went was around 13 months and my hair wasn't really that bad in terms of split ends but the ends were sort of dead and thinning and frizzy and overall just made my whole head of hair look bad and unhealthy.

Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Fine hair does need more regular trims to stay healthy. My hair is fine and needs the ends barely snipped about 4 times a year which keeps the ends free of splits and healthy.

Length
    chin/APL/BSL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i

Like everyone else has really summed up, it depends on your hair. I'm in the midst of going on month 4 and my hair is still really happy. It just depends on the hair and how you take care of it.