Thread: Implanon and Hair Loss?

Length
    Ears/MBL/TB
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

Question Implanon and Hair Loss?

Hello all.

I recently arrived at the LHC and started taking care of my hair. It's been months since I really looked at it - glandular fever and post-viral syndrome got me down big time.

However, I've noticed I've lost a fair bit of thickness. It's really hard for me to tell how much, since I've been haphazardly growing out a pixie and layers for ages, and the last time my hair was in a blunt cut at waist was 4 years ago. But i remember my hair was so heavy then my arms used to ache after putting it in a ponytail! No longer...

So. There's a few things that could have contributed to this.

1) I'm on the contraceptive implant implanon, and have recently heard it can cause hair loss

2) my diet isn't all that great at the moment for reasons I can't do very much about. I'm about to try a one-a-day multivitamin to see if that helps

3) glandular fever can cause hair loss, I believe.

4) While I had glandular fever, I had loads of damage and breakage from doing nothing to my hair whatsoever, so maybe that played a part?

Thoughts, particularly about the implanon? I'm thinking about getting it removed anyway, as I have some unpleasant side effects, but the hair loss thing was 'the straw that broke the camel's back'.

I would say that my hair was a iii back in the day, and now it's a ii - that's my best estimate. I definitely had to use my whole fist to grasp my ponytail back in the day, whereas now I can hld it between thumb and forefinger.

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Default Re: Implanon and Hair Loss?

Welcome! Sorry to read that you have been so unwell, but pleased that you have found LHC as a result. Really any concerns over hormonal birth control need to be addressed with a medical professional. As you are UK based, the nurse at your GP practice may be happy to have a chat.

Ill health has the same effect on the body as any stressful event, and shedding is unfortunately a common occurrence shortly afterwards. I don't wish to pry but is there nothing you can do to improve your diet, could you ask for a referral to a hospital dietician perhaps? Healthy hair needs a lot more than just vitamins - it also needs minerals, essential fats, protein and calories generally. These don't all have to be from fresh produce if this are not freely available; canned pulses, frozen vegetables and dried fruit are all very nutritious.
    Last edited by Firefox7275; April 17th, 2011 at 02:41 PM.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Length
    Ears/MBL/TB
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

Thank you, Firefox7275!

With regards to my diet...I may have overstated the point. It's not too bad - still getting proteins, fats, vegetables and fruits; it's just I've been staying with DBF's parents while I've been unwell and don't have complete control over what I eat. I just used to eat better, with whole grains, more vegetables, a bit more variety.

I think I was perhaps a little defeatist; I can probably try to eat more fruit/natural yoghurt for definite, it's just it's been so long since I could do anything really I've forgotten I, er, can.

I'll definitely need to see a doctor about the contraception - it's progesterone-only because estrogen makes me go *totally* insane, but I think my body just hates hormones - my shed recently has been atrocious.

Anyone else experienced hair loss with any kind of hormone treatment?

Length
    7"/?/?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i

The Implanon is progestin only type of BCM, just like the Depo shot. I know for a fact that with Depo Provera there is hair loss, I am not sure about Implanon because there is less progestin in it. I also have the Implanon and I have not seen any increase on hair loss myself. I hope you are feeling better!

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by celebriangel View Post
    Thank you, Firefox7275!

With regards to my diet...I may have overstated the point. It's not too bad - still getting proteins, fats, vegetables and fruits; it's just I've been staying with DBF's parents while I've been unwell and don't have complete control over what I eat. I just used to eat better, with whole grains, more vegetables, a bit more variety.

I think I was perhaps a little defeatist; I can probably try to eat more fruit/natural yoghurt for definite, it's just it's been so long since I could do anything really I've forgotten I, er, can.
    Ha ha, yes I can see you are in a sensitive position. Fruit and yoghurt is perfect, nuts/ seeds/ dried fruit/ oatcakes/ quality cereal bars can be stored in your bedroom so you don't draw attention to them. If you are not getting oily fish you might speak with your GP about a supplement, then send BF to Holland and Barrett! Don't forget that baked beans count as a portion of veg (two if you have lots of sauce!) and are full of minerals and fibre. Tomato ketchup and puree both count and could be used as a condiment without raising eyebrows?

Have some to start you off!
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Length
    3"/3.5"/34"
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

I had implanon put in a few years ago (umm 8 or so I think)... and I don't recall it causing hair loss (mind you I never had it taken out again either... errm... I probably should... or it will be stuck forever lol).

However, having glandular fever can certainly cause hair loss (as can any such illness), and can cause you to shed extra for months afterwards.

I'm not saying the implanon isn't responsible, because it could... it just didn't seem to happen with me.

As others have said, focus on having a healthy diet, getting enough fresh air and exercise, and keeping yourself free of stress! All of these things will help you recover your hair.
    Starting over short and working towards virgin hair!

Length
    14/21/50
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Actually my mother told me that she experienced her hair falling out in chunks due to a hormonal contraceptive implanted in her arm. She described it as matchstick size, though this would have been around 20 plus years ago. I hope this helps. She had it removed and had to wear a hat for about a year to cover up the missing hair!! Ouch. I believe she now uses all pure, natural products and she got into researching natural medicine, which she likes better.
    I don't want recommend anything, I just wanted to share a personal experience. I wish you the very best!

Length
    23/27/TBL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

I've had implanton in for maybe 6months now and I have had a few shedding issues although its difficult to pin it down directly to the implant (My diet changed and I dropped my exercise levels at a similar time)

If it helps most of my adverse reactions (MOOD swings, perhaps hair loss and general depressed feelings) have for the most part subsided now. I had been considering removing it but now I'm reasonably happy with it staying.

My hair loss is reducing but again I have no idea of the factor behind it as I've picked up on diet / exercise at the same time as I've settled down mood wise due to the implanton.

I'd say go have a chat with your doc, I know some people never settle with them so you might still be best having it removed but at least they can give you a professional opinion.
    APL > BSL > Waist > Hip > TBL

Length
    ~Calf/Pixie/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I had Implanon for about 8 months. I don't recall any hair-related side effects, although I wasn't careful at all with my hair then so if it was minor I might not have noticed. Gave it up because of the other side effects though. *sigh*