Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Silica Side Effects

Length
    chin/shlds/waist
    Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Silica Side Effects

I was concerned when I ready that a few people on this forum are consuming silica for hair growth. Unlike biotin and other supplements, humans do not need a lot of silica and so we are usually not deficient and do not need "supplements". Taking supplements of silica over time can cause deficiency in other important vitamins/minerals in our body, and can also lead to worse health problems.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/28...a-supplements/

I know we all want & love long hair. But remember to do your research and that hair WILL grow on it's own (for most of us.) If you are fortunate to have hair that grows (even if its slow) dont rush it if it means being unhealthy to your body. Any unorthodox "treatments" (monostat, silica, etc.) should never be done for extended periods of time. All that stuff is absorbed in to the body and our poor kidneys have to filter it all out again.

Long hair is treasured and valuable because it takes a long time and patience to grow it out. So be patient. Don't harm the rest of your beautiful body. *That is all <3*

^Inspiration^
    ~chin~shoulder~apl~bsl~waist~

Length
    3 in/27.5/27.5
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Silica Side Effects

Thanks for the caring advice. I appreciate the reminder that two of the most significant things about long hair are how long it takes to grow it and how is represents a healthy body.

Length
    ?/48/55 ?
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Curly - Thanks for posting this reminder.

I got into it with the silica / Fullers Earth group awhile back and I got called a few things - including a troll just for questioning the practice. I asked them to provide some science to back it up but it was pretty much all "pseudo-science" except for one actual scientist who stood with me in arguing that it was a pretty unfounded practice.

Fullers Earth (silica) is a natural method used to kill fleas because the microscopic sharp edges slice their exoskeletons and they dehydrate to death. Kind of geeves me out to think about ingesting that material. Didn't seem to bother that group though, they are sold on the idea and swear they are getting up to 1inch per month of growth that they attribute to the minerals.

Sigh ....

Length
    ASL/27 in/HipL
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Well, I'm going to have to thank you for that too .. I take Silica from time to time but I don't overload thankfully :-) I want to add tho that I don't take it for hair growth but for nail growth ..

Renegray also a member of the Micro-trim club

Type
    2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by sycamoreboutiqu View Post
    Curly - Thanks for posting this reminder.

I got into it with the silica / Fullers Earth group awhile back and I got called a few things - including a troll just for questioning the practice. I asked them to provide some science to back it up but it was pretty much all "pseudo-science" except for one actual scientist who stood with me in arguing that it was a pretty unfounded practice.

Fullers Earth (silica) is a natural method used to kill fleas because the microscopic sharp edges slice their exoskeletons and they dehydrate to death. Kind of geeves me out to think about ingesting that material. Didn't seem to bother that group though, they are sold on the idea and swear they are getting up to 1inch per month of growth that they attribute to the minerals.

Sigh ....
    I had a similar argument with them because I was horrified at what they are ingesting. But no one would listen so I left it. I dread to think what damage they are doing to their bodies though.
    "The reward for conformity is that everybody likes you except yourself" - Rita Mae Brown

Length
    SL/Knee+/Knee+
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Thanks for posting the info.

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Thanks, Curlycreature, I hope you will continue to make your voice heard on this topic. I've posted the following previously
    It truly frightens me the casual way supplements and herbal remedies are discussed, advocated or recommended, and the level of misinformation passed around by unqualified individuals as if it were gospel. I am not on a crusade to get everyone to stop taking supplements, but to get people to stop suggesting them to others without taking a full medical history and diet diary.
    In response I am assured people do their own research, when the truth is that they do not. I have worked in and studied healthcare for two decades and have a constant stream of clients who, as Sycamoreboutiqu alludes to, get 'advice' from extremely dubious sources.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Type
    1b/M/ii

Thank you for putting this up. I am about to finish my multivitamin and begin to experiment with other supplements, so I'll keep this in mind

Length
    .5/4/30
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Thank you CurlyCreature for posting this ^_^ In the end, all medicines, supplements, and so on should be taken with caution and understanding of side effects.
    Lady Bellethiel, Sorceress of Endorphins, Seeker of Knowledge|OotLHK|
    ~Shaved~Pixie~Shaggy Mess~Chin~SL~APL~BSL~WL~

Length
    Chin/APL/BSL/W
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Thanks, curlycreature! I was thinking about trying silica but you made a few points very kindly that have caused me some trepidation. Very nice of you to think of the rest of us!

Lady Scarlet of the Whispering Philosophes in the Order of the Long Haired Knights