Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oiling hair dry or wet ?

Default Oiling hair dry or wet ?

When you guys oil your hair do you do it dry or wet ?
    I ask because I oil my hair in between washes (dry) with EVOO however, I then have to put it up and I definitely wouldnt go out with my ends oiled it would look weird. So I have to oil when I know Im not going anywhere.....

Im just wondering if oiling the ends when wet works better as far as it drying enough so its not noticable, and maybe doing it with coconut instead of EVOO.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Oiling hair dry or wet ?

I always oil it dry, as I just don't see how doing it wet can avail anything because oil and water don't mix. However, there are some here who swear by oiling wet.

Length
    pixie/bob/apl
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

i oil my hair when dry. i only ever do it before bed and then wash it out the next morning.
    http://myhairgrowthjournal.tumblr.com/
    Growing out a pixie since August 2010

Length
    Pixie/Pixie/Hip
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Like me! I oil my hair when it's wet or at least damp, after I have washed it. A light oiling then does ALL the difference to me. When I do a deep treatment before I wash, I put it on dry hair. Nowadays I don't use oils so much for that, I use Nightbloomings Panacea instead.
    Growing again! January 2014: One of those pixiecuts with longer front and undercuts on the sides ​---> ​March 2014: Awkward nineties inspired short not quite a bob yet thing going on

Length
    shldr/apl+/waist
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

I do it both ways. In between washings when dry and after washing when wet. As long as I don't use too much you can't tell at all. It was just trying to find that perfect amount that took a few tries. I use coconut oil. I think it may depend on your hair type also. My hair sucks the moisture right up so I think I can get away with using a tad bit more than norm.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I oil my hair dry the day before I plan to wash it, although I've tried it both ways. When my ends are all dried out, it seems to work best if I oil it while it's clean and damp, then finish with a coney serum. But my hair was recently cut and my ends are fresh and not dry, so I'm going back to pre-wash oiling.

Length
    25 in/33 in/4ever
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i/ii

I oil my hair dry, usually in the morning and at night, always before I wash.

Length
    3/16/40
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I'd try using coconut oil because it's not as heavy. And make sure not to use too much. It shouldn't cause your hair to look too greasy.

I prefer oiling while damp using coconut oil.

I have also added oil to dry hair if it looks a bit dry and frizzy. Usually I use coconut oil as well.

And sometimes I'll had a lot of oil to dry hair before I wash my hair. And that's usually coconut oil or EVOO.

Length
    2/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/M/iii

I use coconut oil for a prewash treatment , usually overnight , and then camellia oil for dry ends on dry hair.
    I haven't oiled a ton on wet hair but time to time
    i will take my coconut oiled hands and run them through the freshly washed hair.

Length
    TBL/BSL+/CL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

I do both.After washing my hair,I add a little oil (usually hemp oil in winter) all over the length.By the time my hair dries it doesnt leave any residue and I find it keeps my hair soft and manageable. Usually by day 2 I oil my dry hair and repeat the process as often as needed untill the next wash.
    In the Indian hair thread,I think someone mentioned that the routine over there is to always oil damp hair,wash day or not.