Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Off to a music festival, what to do with my hair?

Length
    APL/CLASS/CLASS
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Off to a music festival, what to do with my hair?

I'm off to a festival tomorrow, in the country. I'm not camping, staying with my grandmother, but it'll still be muddy and crazy enough actually at the festival

I need to do something with my almost classic length hair. Despite my hair being quite fine, the braid is pretty substantial (no layers) and if I whack someone with it, they'll object. I don't want a bun, either, because a) heavy when bouncing/dancing/both, b) chance of it falling down mid-gig, and c) anything I wear to hold it up securely will poke people and make me very unpopular. I also want to look vaguely 'cool' - I'm 23, the average age there will be about 24-25. It's also autumn, so reasonably cool. Oh, and I have to be able to take layers on and off over it!

I was thinking a crown braid, but I'm worried that that will look weird at a festival...I am NOT wearing it down, no matter how indie-hippie-ish it would look, it'll get muddy and tangled at best, set on fire at worst.

Suggestions?

Length
    6/32/48+
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

Default Re: Off to a music festival, what to do with my hair?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ictureid=71364

Something like this? It's a little easier on the person on the recieving end of getting whacked, or you could double them up, or make each one into a bun so you have a little faux hawk bun braid thing going on. I would also do a bandana or scarf to keep the frizzies down since you will be taking clothes over your head.

Length
    25/24/30
    Type
    1a/M/ii

What about 2 french plaits & then with the plait you could attach it to the base of your head above your neck with a scrunchie? If you know what I mean.. & then the length of the braid is halved? (you could also do similar but with the last 3rd of your plait not in a loop, and then the length of crazy braid down you back is even shorter?

Or you could just keep the braid under your jumper??! & then you can just go for a frizzy windswept look with the bits round your head? If you get those? &you could attach flowers? depends on the music festival I guess.. I usually do 2 french plaits in my hair and then pin the ends up / put them in a bobble when I want to pretend I don't have hair for a few days.. But then my hair is no where near classic length, so it might not work that well!!

Hope that helps anyway =) x

Length
    25/24/30
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Or, thinking about it, french braid / similar and then a hat over the braid to stop it going crazy???

Length
    APL/CLASS/CLASS
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

ravensinger: Now that is awesome! Not exactly me, but awesome (I'm petite, fine boned, and don't have the attitude to pull off 'small and fierce'). I think it'd still be a bit whippy, unless I did the bun-thing - I think that's look like a stegosaurus, which would be adorable on someone

Thanks for the suggestion though...to give a clothes idea (which might help give an idea of my style) I'll be wearing dark blue skinny jeans, a navy blue button down shirt with a 70s bright print all over it (birds and flowers) with long sleeves that can roll up and button at my elbows, with a singlet type top underneath, possibly a cardigan over that and this thing over the lot (it's linen, somewhat waterproof, funky looking and warm):

mine's a pale grey-blue though. And sensible shoes!

toffee: I'd tuck it into my jumper, but I'd get hot dancing and it would probably escape anyway. I definitely DO get wispies, so I can capitalise on that. Normally I'd do a french braid, and pin a big fake flower to it or something, but the length...halving it might help, but it'd still be really long. Hats are awesome but my hair doesn't fit into them easily anymore, and they fall off when dancing. I could pin it I suppose but I'd look weird.

What I really would like to do is just do a pencil bun, but braid it first, but all my hairsticks are both precious and pointy. I do have a fakkare, but it's a bit bling-ey for this. Hmm.
    Last edited by candlesandfish; March 31st, 2011 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by candlesandfish View Post
    (snip)

What I really would like to do is just do a pencil bun, but braid it first, but all my hairsticks are both precious and pointy. I do have a fakkare, but it's a bit bling-ey for this. Hmm.
    Cute overcoat!
    Braided buns have been lauded as being the most stable and solid, so that's definitely a good idea.
    How about making your own hairsticks for the occasion? When I had to work, and didn't want to risk losing my nicer hair accessories, I went out and found a set of wooden pencils that had cool designs on them, sharpened them down to about 6", and painted the tips with a matching nail polish. I ended up getting four sets of hair sticks for about $2.
    HTH

Length
    APL/CLASS/CLASS
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Thanks! I love the place I got it from, it's owned by veeeery stylish Muslims who have much the same idea of fashion as me. And they do skirts that come to my ankles that I can actually live in!

Braided buns are awesome, I wear them a lot. Pencil bun is good because it looks funky and holds like the dickens. I don't have time to make sticks, sadly - leave tomorrow, and even so I'd have sticky outy bits to poke people in a crowd.

Length
    1 in/32 in/40?

Well I have waist length hair myself and I go to allot of gigs, festivals etc performing and in the crowd. When I'm in the crowd I usually put my hair into a french braid so as its out of the way and not going to get messed up. If im worried about wacking someone with the braid I would double up the braid and secure it with an extra elastic. I cant wear buns becuase they always come loose.

Length
    APL/CLASS/CLASS
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Thanks David now that that's been suggested a couple times I should give it a go, just to see how I go. The really tempting thing would be to do triple braids from a ponytail and double them, and do something at the top like a big clip or a flower...maybe I'll play in the car on the way there

I hear you on the buns coming loose, too - I was at a wedding last weekend with a mairzydozy fork in, and my hair always stays up with those...after dancing for a short time (granted, it WAS greek dancing and in a circle, and with people who know what they're doing ie. fast) it fell out and I gave up, danced for an hour with it down until it got hot and I stuck it in a ponytail which was not elegant but kept it off my neck!

Off to bed now, will try to check during the day tomorrow

Running about London with Sherlock and John.
    Length
    19.5/WL/TBL

similar to a crown braid, put it in two pigtail braids and wrap them around your head, pinning as you go? I used to do that with my hair when it was waist length and it was very comfortable!