Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have a tremendous urge to get a buzz cut ahhh!

Currently Northern California, US. Previously, Montana, Southern CA, Wyoming, Canada & Kent, UK
    Type
    1a/1b/M/iii

Exclamation Have a tremendous urge to get a buzz cut ahhh!

This is a bit worrisome and probably just a phase which will pass but for the last few weeks I've had this great urge to buzz off all my hair!
    Not long ago I reached my goal of tailbone length and my hair is in better condition than it has been for years. So I don't really understand why I feel the need to chop it all off! Perhaps its the minimalism kick I've been on for a while....
    Any suggestions on how to quell the urge?! Because I have a feeling I would regret it if I cut, but I want to SO badly! Help!!

Lady Felaróf of the Endless Ride in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    http://mystiqueunique.tumblr.com/

Length
    19/hip/termi
    Type
    1a/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Have a tremendous urge to get a buzz cut ahhh!

I'll tell you about growing out a buzz cut. You will have about a million layers. It will cost you at least 1 year of your life at neck length to gather about half of all those layers. Then 6 months later, if you're very lucky, you will have to maintain at between shoulder and APL for a while to get just 3 layers out. On your journey you will suddenly want to chop about 3 inches off to get more of the layers out. You will still have layers....It will take you at least 3 years to get near BSL. With layers. That's the layer story.

Now, to the damage story. No matter how careful you are, YOU WILL GET DAMAGE at the awkward lengths. Hair too short to put up, but brushes against collar, getting caught everywhere etc. With your thickness, you'll probably get a raging headache when you can just get your hair in a pony. I know I did. Your canopy is the last layer to grow out. It will be FRIED!

Yes, you will save a fortune in products. But, You will also freeze in the winter and fry in the summer. One month after you buzz, you'll sit down and cry. You will hate the sight of yourself. You will be very lucky if you are at BSL 5 years after a buzz no matter how fast your hair grows.

It's been 8 years since I buzzed and I'm still fighting a fried canopy. I'm only at BSL+.

Of course, it's your head and you can do what you want.

If you really want a change, have you considered trimming to hip length?

If you are on a minimalist kick, long hair is actually easier and cheaper to maintain.

Length
    sl/waist/~
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Whew. ^^ just convinced me that I do not want a buzz cut.

If you want to get back to TB, it'll take a long time to grow back out.

On the other hand, I have been on and off considering a buzz cut, but thanks to hanne's story, I think I'll shelve that idea for the moment. I understand the urge, though!

Length
    19/hip/termi
    Type
    1a/F/ii/iii

Glad I could help somebody avoid years of tears.

Wow... I get the temptation to go buzz just because of so emotional connections with my hair.. not happening now. There have been a few times after a bad event where I almost took scissors straight to my hair and just whacked it off. I think I had the scissors in my hand once or twice and stopped before I did anything. Never going to have that temptation again!

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Wow hanne... I certainly have no urge whatsoever to get a buzz cut now (I didn't have much of an urge before, but still, wow).

Length
    3"/3.5"/34"
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Hanne's post needs to be the "go to" for anyone considering a buzz After reading that only the most determined would go through with it!

That being said, I still may try it when I want to get rid of my henna (not for a loonng time yet though).
    Starting over short and working towards virgin hair!

Extraordinary Wordsmith WaitingSoLong's Avatar
    Length
    MTL/BSL/none
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

WOW Hanne, what a great post! I have always wanted to buzz my hair and even had a dream I did it last night and was happy about it. Everything you said is what has always kept me from doing it. The "growing out". Plus the stares. With long hair, when I am up to stares, I can let my hair down. When I am not up to it, I can put it in a bun.

Long hair is definitely more versatile and easier. I had a very short haircut once and I hated growing it out but it was not as bad as what Hanne wrote. So, to the OP, I feel your urge and if you choose to do it I will live vicariously through you. I confess I love seeing women who have buzzed their hair (not a gay thing, just an envy thing). Somehow I have associated buzzing my hiar with "freedom", the freedom to do what I want without stigma. It is all in my head, but the urge remains.

I did get to buzz my son's hair last night! It was about 6" long all over.

~WSL~My YouTube tutorials with Classic+ Hair
    FTL in 2013. Back to waist/virgin 2014. Virgin thigh 2018. Cut back to waist July 2018

Length
    37/FTL/58
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Gah! I had to this urge too! I just sat there thinking 'Wow, I'm just gonna grab some siccors and hack the length off..) And I have tailbone length!

Do something fancy with your hair is what I did. Try a new updoo, moisturizer it.. ect. Get into that whole 'Having long hair is fun' mode.

And it wouldn't hurt letting out your hair for a day, the compliments are nice.
    “I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.”Philippians 4:13
    2016 Goal: thicken hemline | 2017 Goal: Possible calf length?
    From hip length Jan 2011 - > knee length (2016) -> Going for ankle 2018

As always, your hair is your hair, and whatever you decide will be right, but I have to agree with hanne jensen. The growing out phase is terribleterribleterrible!
    I damaged my hair irreparably when I was 17, and, crying, buzzed my BSL+ hair to 1/2" all over. It was definitely nice to just wash and go, but after the first month it started getting shaggy and ugly. (For some reason I never asked to go get it professionally shaped) There was only ONE good month of grow-out for me, the rest of the time I had a mini mullet and shaggy hair with no style. I spent my 17th year feeling ugly and horrible about myself (didn't help that I'd just got healthy after anorexia). It's been almost 5 years and I'm only APL+ (but to be honest I haven't been growing consciously until last December). I'll admit to having similar urges when I decide to change colors or when I see how damaged my length is, but remembering that time (and the horrid pictures that are still floating around somewhere) always keeps me sane.

Whatever you decide to do should make you happy, I just wanted to inform anyone who doesn't understand fully about the commitment it takes.