Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I need hair color and/or cut advice.

Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: I need hair color and/or cut advice.

Lots of good advice from everyone here!! I think it is a good idea to not jump into a cut. More than likely you will regret it afterward. The minitrims are good advice. I have learned that by experience. As far as color, you really have a pretty haircolor (natural and henna)and healthy hair also.

Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    I got great coverage and fair staying power when I used Punky (similar to Manic Panic), and my hair is not bleached. Of course it can't lighten dark colors, but it can add new tones.
    New color March 2010

Faded color June 2010
    I'll look into it. Wow all the color just washed right off. My hair is so porous that I used semi-permanent black dye and after waiting for 2 months and bleaching it 3 times I could still see the black.

Quote Originally Posted by summerjade View Post
    Lots of good advice from everyone here!! I think it is a good idea to not jump into a cut. More than likely you will regret it afterward. The minitrims are good advice. I have learned that by experience. As far as color, you really have a pretty haircolor (natural and henna)and healthy hair also.
    Yeah mini-trims sound good.
    Thank you!

Length
    22/33/36
    Type
    2c/F/M/i/ii

With the Lush Caca Henna, I use noir, but I still get some red tint, and it looks black with red highlights in low light and light brown with red highlights in the sunlight. I'm very happy with it, but it might not be what you're looking for.

I think the best thing might be to put it up and forget about it! Or maybe just do the inch at a time thing
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle
    apl-bsl-waist-hip

Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by jesis View Post
    With the Lush Caca Henna, I use noir, but I still get some red tint, and it looks black with red highlights in low light and light brown with red highlights in the sunlight. I'm very happy with it, but it might not be what you're looking for.

I think the best thing might be to put it up and forget about it! Or maybe just do the inch at a time thing
    That's cool. I'll think about it, but I'm afraid of indigo because it turns green if combined with peroxide.
    Thank you for your reply!

Length
    Shldr/BSL/Term
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

I have no experience in hair dye seeing as I have never altered my hair color (exept by the sun?), so take this with a grain of salt:

What about amla? Amla is supposed to tone down the red in henna and make it more brown. If anyone else already mentioned it, sorry, I'm tired
    I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

New color March 2010

wow ive never seen this, it looks brilliant!
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Thanks jojo. I'm going to dye my hair like an Oestre (easter) egg again this year, too.

Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Lollipop View Post
    I have no experience in hair dye seeing as I have never altered my hair color (exept by the sun?), so take this with a grain of salt:

What about amla? Amla is supposed to tone down the red in henna and make it more brown. If anyone else already mentioned it, sorry, I'm tired
    Oh yeah I forgot about Amla! Thank you for your suggestion! I will look into that.

Type
    2a/F/ii

I know it's been a while but I have an update of what I tried and worked, tried and failed and my absolute final decision, with lots of pictures!

Ok so I did strand tests and I have pics, that's the good news. the bad news is that none of the tests were what I would call successful.
    left side Buxus Dioica (also known as katam)+henna (50%-50%), right side Buxus Dioica (also known as katam)+henna+amla (33%-33%-33%) (the braids are the test strands)

Clariol brass free (medium brown) right side 10 minute development, left side 30 minute development

Clarion brass free 10 minute development compared to present hair color

Clarion brass free 30 minute development compared to present hair color

Lush caca brun mama (the only test that gave a visible result)

In conclusion I didn't see a diminished redness of hair in any of my tests except for the Lush test, in which case my strand was way darker than my natural hair color which means the demarcation line would be a lot more obvious. I think I'm just going to try growing it out because at least that way, anywhere else but the sun and flash photos my hair will seem like it almost doesn't have a demarcation line.

Also after waiting for 2 months, I did a one inch self-trim and that made me a lot happier about my hair which means I don't want to do a big chop anymore.

Once again a big thank you to everyone that gave me advice!